Sign in to follow this  
Plokman

[MOC] Come and Follow Me! Short Circuit Truck and Bots to show&#33

Hey all,

Just finished a design in LDD and rendered it with Bluerender and thought I'd show it off to you guys.

Lets take a trip back to 1986 and visit a lovable little living robot. Thats right I'm talking about Johnny 5. It is quite funny over the years I've seen many MOCs based off Johnny even one that was published in a very old issue of the old Lego Mania Magazine (Back when the Lego Mainac was a kid in a green t-shirt and a pair of red shorts.) and always thought he would fit in as a Lego set. But one odd thing was in common with those MOCs. They were built out of Technic parts from lift arms to cams. They were never Minifig sized.

That is Till now:

2198147-o_1a52m8hodupfanf1l4b112c1tgi7-full.png

The Nova Robotics Truck was a key piece in the movie and so were the characters like Ben Jahveri, Stephanie Speck, Newton Crosby, Johnny 5, Number 1 his brother, and

2198174-o_1a52matvi1feo9n818ar9tr1409k-full.png

Captain Skroeder. Ruh roh it's the bad guy :laugh:

For me the hardest part of this MOC was making the S.A.I.N.T robots like Johnny and Number 1 in scale for Minifigure but I think I managed it quite well.

2198207-o_1a52matvk2gp1ake4o517if163lv-full.png

2198225-o_1a52matvk18br1mrr1aij12h3oih15-full.png

But remember Rule number 1 for Johnny. Never ever try to hurt his friends.

2198162-o_1a52matvhfb319c3akl6po1pvmg-full.png

Oops almost forgot to post the up close shots of the Human Figs too. XD

2198213-o_1a52matvk18hq1q2n1tae1t8ckaa11-full.png2198150-o_1a52matvg1go9r6h1m0r1cdp1qu2c-full.png2198189-o_1a52matvj1mlm17final6m81a9gp-full.png

2198153-o_1a52matvh1p1fvh17ur5av5qfd-full.png

If you couldn't tell I never really liked Captain Skroeder. He played his role as a villain very well and his disregaurd for those who knew better and for life was a major put off to me.

The one thing I wanted to do for this was actually have a Nova Robotics logo on the trucks' side like in the movie. But I'm not much a programmer and could only get the Minifigure's decals on right. Well except for Captain Skroeder's hat it's missing the logo too. I was able to make a Mock-up of the design though.

2198176-o_1a52matvi1ue5kuk1g0e1q3tb3el-full.png

Even Legoified it.

So what does everyone think? I really hope it fits the source material. I watch the movies quite a lot during my production.

I submitted it to for voting on a project site. Hope that goes well and so far so good. Now I need to collect the parts to build Johnny for my collection IRL. Hmm gonna have to repaint a pair of white arms to the right grey. :laugh:

Edited by Plokman

I think it looks awesome! Captured the look perfectly!

Hey thanks very much. I'm glad you like the set. The feel of the source material and applying it to the Lego Universe is what I think is the most difficult aspect of the set design. It's nice to know I got that feel right for someone.

I like this set, it's actually a pretty good idea. Even though the truck is kind of oversized, you have made the intent clear. With TLG's recent intrest in retro 80's ideas sets, you could be looking at a potential winner here! Will support and best of luck. :grin:

I like this set, it's actually a pretty good idea. Even though the truck is kind of oversized, you have made the intent clear. With TLG's recent intrest in retro 80's ideas sets, you could be looking at a potential winner here! Will support and best of luck. :grin:

Hey thanks. Yeah I noticed a lot of 80s themes coming in. I think that BttF got that fact on the 80s right. It's the cool thing like the 50s were in the 80s and 90s.

The truck had to be a bitt over scale sadly. The bots just wouldn't fit in anything smaller and the point of the truck was to be a mobile repair center for Johnny and his Brothers as well as transport. I toyed with adding Stephanie's van too but the set would of been too big and I couldn't get my head around the fitting Johnny in the driver seat part. :laugh: If you think you can handel it I'd be glad to send you the Bot's LDD file so you could submit it as a sister project to this. Just offering you know.

Thank you again for the support. May I ask your Lego Ideas screenname so I can follow you there?