Sign in to follow this  
CisFran

Lego Tram 60097 Power Functions

When I saw the tram in 60097 set, I got to have it but I only wanted the tram. The price of the whole set is too expensive, EUR180!

So I went to bricklink the project tram, and I only spent EUR25 for the important parts of the tram, like the windows, orange parts, connectors and other essentials. I wanted to motorize it via power function. Putting the motor, battery and receiver in one carriage will be difficult since the curve of the windows will not permit it.

So I hacked a Lego extension cord and came up with this (copied what others did in using the 9v battery). I used a 9V battery to make it compact and light.

20150913_181709_zpshteqg5it.jpg

So now I managed to fit everything inside the front carriage

20150913_183921_zpscxdbczye.jpg

20150913_184031_zpsd4fsbybu.jpg

20150913_184014_zpsnjhkr71f.jpg

20150913_181637_zpsvswl3bio.jpg

The completed model

20150913_181905_zpspedhgovr.jpg

20150913_181843_zpsbfgzsrkt.jpg

I think it somewhat detracts from the overall look of the tram, and it is limiting for passengers, but I understand the limitations you face. I personally think the MODs people did to the blue tram, adding an extra section in the middle for the PF components is more practable.

I think it somewhat detracts from the overall look of the tram, and it is limiting for passengers, but I understand the limitations you face. I personally think the MODs people did to the blue tram, adding an extra section in the middle for the PF components is more practable.

Its easy to modify the 8404 blue tram. It's shape is almost rectangular so you wont have problems fitting the battery box including the receiver and motor. I tried it on the 60097 and it wont fit all in one carriage due to sloping shape from the roof to the bottom. The battery box will sit on top of the motor and it will hit the windows. The 3 carriage all 12-stud 8404 was powered by 9V so its very easy mod. The Power functions 8404 was more heavily modded since it meant building two more additional carriage, one a 16 stud carriage to carry all the electronics and an 8-stud one to help with the bends.

My original plan was to make the middle carriage (16 studs long) carry all the electronics. But when I tried to run it, it always derail since it cannot bend on curves. Three 16-stud carriage will not work. I tried to put in train buffer beam and it works great but the distance between carriage was too far.

So I went back and transferred all the electronics to the first carriage and revert to a 4-stud middle carriage.

Maybe my original plan of 16 studs middle carriage will be good if I will also put in between it a small 4-stud carriage like in the original to help in the curves.

Edited by CisFran

Here are my MOD 60097 and 8404 trams (both motorized with PF and using a 9V battery instead of the battery box).

Special thanks to CisFran for his idea and detailed description!

post-164151-0-17961900-1470269269_thumb.jpg

Edited by syn_zaliznycnyka

I was able to fit everything into the bike carriage and the very end of the rear carriage, resulting in a two person 'deluxe' carriage with a table.

I'm using an S-Brick instead of the IR receiver, so that may also make a difference in getting it to fit into the bicycle carriage.

Thanks CisFran and everyone else for the inspiration and pictures/instructions - these have helped me a lot.

I used the 9V battery idea from CisFran, and also took inspiration from this youtube video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1rVeBkKMJ0.

post-164131-0-73620300-1472257168_thumb.jpg