knotian

"Simple Task" Turn an individual lego brick over. Suggestions

I'm in the process of designing a MOC that is a "Recycling Facility", where a pile of assorted color and length bricks are dumped and then sorted (Color and length), grouped and finally placed on pallets for reshipment. Anyway - I have a simple problem and can't come up with a simple solution.

Before I start sorting by color and length, I'd like all the blocks to be 'studs up'. A block's reflectivity is different in the studs up position than in studs down and that is how I trigger the turning over process for upside down blocks.

One solution I have found is to flip them with lift arms, but that is not reliable.

I've tried grabbing them with horizontal pincers, then rotating and placing them back on the conveyor which is a little complex. Does any one have any other solutions I should explore?

References to other MOCS would be appreciated.

Thanx,

Ed

What about using a rotating wheel? Simply place brick with one end to a rounded brick and push the other end with a rotating wheel?

At the end of the conveyor have a sloping chute with a large turntable at each end and the bricks pass through the center in a channel only slightly taller than the bricks. If it's already right side up it passes through. If not it's stopped and the chute rotates 180 degrees and then it's released.