Sign in to follow this  
Buzzsaw

Creeps from the Deep

I see your face before my eyes...

20218684470_6d517e5bd5_z.jpg

(Flickr album, too lazy to tidy up the link)

2007 was possibly my favorite year, so I decided to remake the Barraki. Individual shots in the album, and the group pose is a homage to the original poster. Constructive criticism is highly appreciated, these aren't perfect and I want these to be the best they can be.

Changes:

Make Ehlek thinner and remove a lot of spikes

Remove Takadox leg armor

Remove some blades off Pridak's back

Tis' the season for Barraki revamps!

It's fascinating to see the differences between these and TheOneVeyronian's versions. Both groups are valid and recognizable variants on the same things, whilst nonetheless employing radically different styles and mechanics.

Ehlek and Pridak are the best, both quite stunning. Next is Mantax, then Kalmah, with Takadox and Carapar as the weakest. The last two aren't bad, just a bit awkward.

Carapar's proportions are off, and the gap between his legs and torso is rather unsightly. He also needs a different right-arm. It's too small, and contrasts badly with his left one.

Takadox is one revision away from being fantastic. The Metru-armor and the Rahkshi head don't fit. The former is too ornate, clashing with his general aesthetic, while the latter is a deformity. I quite like his crossbow. It's a nice take on the squid-launchers.

All in all, these are quite impressive. I look forward to seeing your future creations!

Nicely done!

Carapar's proportions are off, and the gap between his legs and torso is rather unsightly. He also needs a different right-arm. It's too small, and contrasts badly with his left one.

To be fair, real-life crabs often have similar pincer proportions.

These are really fantastic. True to the original sets but with more character.

Takadox looks too tall, though I suspect it's only because his limbs are so spindly, not because he actually has too much height.

They look good, but a bit... overdone? They seem complicated just to be complicated, rather than as a side effect of incresed size or streamlining the designs. And I surprisingly find the lack of grabby-grabby mandibles to really alter the character of the headsculpts.

Takadox is one revision away from being fantastic. The Metru-armor and the Rahkshi head don't fit. The former is too ornate, clashing with his general aesthetic, while the latter is a deformity.

Updates

Fixed up his right arm to have the same bicep, but it's staying uneven because crabs have a similar uneveness to their claws. Didn't know what you mean by gap, so I completely changed up his torso.

Takadox's armor was removed, but now, I don't really know what to do with him. Getting suggestions from others.

They look good, but a bit... overdone? They seem complicated just to be complicated, rather than as a side effect of incresed size or streamlining the designs. And I surprisingly find the lack of grabby-grabby mandibles to really alter the character of the headsculpts.

Simplified Pridak and Ehlek, covered up Carapar more.

Thanks for the feedback!

Edited by Buzzsaw

Updates

Fixed up his right arm to have the same bicep, but it's staying uneven because crabs have a similar uneveness to their claws. Didn't know what you mean by gap, so I completely changed up his torso.

Sorry for not responding sooner.

Carapar looks much better. The gap is gone, and his new arm fits like a glove. Keep up the good work!

I have to say they are big improvements. As much as I liked the original sets, I mostly read the books and I imagined the Barraki as imposing warlords as opposed to creepy sea creatures.