Sign in to follow this  
turk187

Just thinking about ships...

Im getting into Lego ships and wanted to discuss some ideas. Im 41 years old and have loved Lego since I was a kid. I've gotten in and out a couple of times and have decided to collect ships this time. The one thing I regret from the first time I got out of Lego is that I had the original Black Seas Barracuda and most of the very first run of pirates stuff. I gave it all to a cousin who put in a garage sale. <Cue screaming>

So, I've bought the current pirate ship (99$), the Queen Annes Revenge (160$ on bricklink, no minifigs) and The Sea Cow ($240 ebay, NIB) I've also bought some incomplete stuff on ebay. A viking ship missing some pieces (@$40), an Enlighten pirate ship, missing a few pieces ($30) and a Mega Bloks Viking ship (@$40)

Im planning on building a custom viking ship with the viking hull. I've shortened the middle from 3 pieces to 2 because it just seemed too long. Also the mast and sail are just too big. I'm gong to shorten the mast and use the Mega Bloks sail. I added the extra middle bit to the Enlighten hull, which I planning on building a MOC ship with. The Mega BLoks viking hull really looks like an ancient Mediterranean hull, so Im planning on using it to build an ancient Egyptian ship. I chose Egyptian over Greek or Phoenician because I can get minifigs to crew it.

I've also got plans to buy another sea cow and use it to build a steam-punk ship. I'm also thinking about building an Ironclad and some other things.

Ideas? Suggestions? I welcome comments on my ideas.

A4R7zU8.jpg

Howdy, and welcome! When I first started building my own ships, I did a few things. First I thought about what type of ship I really wanted to build, then I began researching it. I read books, looked at a LOT of pictures online, and scoured this site in particular for hints and pointers on how to make my ships look like I wanted them to look. I also studied the excellent tutorials on this site for how-to hints, which really helped my novice building skills. The amazing builders on this site have really helped me think outside the box when it comes to achieving the looks I'm after for my projects.

Good luck!

Turk, your fleet looks good so far. This is an awesome focus for Lego sets. I regret not getting the Imperial Flagship when it was still reasonably priced.