Hy guy's

Here I'm presenting my first Crawler MOC

18602886035_84a8cbef2b_z.jpgDSC_0001 by thenextlegodesinger, on Flickr

This time I wanted to go with as less fuctions as possible and an as low center of mass but as much groundclearance as possible.

I know those last two don't go together so i have put the battery box under the steering motor.

The functions that it now has are:

- 4X4 drive (as the name sujest)(XL motors)

- front wheel steering (M motor geared 1 to 27)

- lights

It also has:

-extra long suspension (groud clearance from 12.5 studs to 5 studs)

- Roof Rack

- door to reach the battery box (AA batteries)

- easely removable cabin

weight: 1.45KG

wheelbase: 30 studs - 42 studs

height: 32.5 - 25 studs with roofrack and 30.5 - 23 without roofrack

widht: body 13 studs axle (without wheels)20 studs

The reason why it is still a MOC is that it needs an interior but I'm not good with that so maybe someone of you guys wants to help me. it has to be 16X11X9

17980255644_9569db3e96_z.jpgDSC_0002 by thenextlegodesinger, on Flickr

18598379852_d1ed03ea8a_z.jpgDSC_0003 by thenextlegodesinger, on Flickr

18416762329_b471b89333_z.jpgDSC_0011 by thenextlegodesinger, on Flickr

18576540256_dc6fbbe004_z.jpgDSC_0010 by thenextlegodesinger, on Flickr

here you can see the battery box is under the steering motor

Now the suspension setup

18415174088_e6f4f75320_z.jpgDSC_0008 by thenextlegodesinger, on Flickr

12.5 studs

17982279423_da60ab469d_z.jpgDSC_0009 by thenextlegodesinger, on Flickr

5 studs

the roofrack and lights

17980293754_8cf8899c71_z.jpgDSC_0013 by thenextlegodesinger, on Flickr

18602932175_1a0ac38915_z.jpgDSC_0014 by thenextlegodesinger, on Flickr

thanks

Edited by TheNextLegoDesinger

Looks promising.

You will find while looking at full scale rock crawlers that amount of ground clearance you have isn't present. The penalty in roll stability and center of gravity isn't worth it. At full articulation or compression of the suspension, the tires should be at or on the body work. The amount of slope that a vehicle of this type could traverse would be minimal. Off road performance is about more than ground clearance.

You have an excellent foundation for further work.

v/r

Andy

Looks promising.

You will find while looking at full scale rock crawlers that amount of ground clearance you have isn't present. The penalty in roll stability and center of gravity isn't worth it. At full articulation or compression of the suspension, the tires should be at or on the body work. The amount of slope that a vehicle of this type could traverse would be minimal. Off road performance is about more than ground clearance.

You have an excellent foundation for further work.

v/r

Andy

thank you i think the only problem is maybe the body roll. but the main reason i wanted high ground clearance is because my last Crawler (http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=109995) sometimes got stuck on a rock. this one has a lot more groundclearance.

but i just need a interior of 16X11X9

That looks better, but we have ground clearance to facilitate break-over angle. A benefit of this height is improved front suspension geometry and an improved turning radius. You could extend the length of the torque arms to regain ground clearance while not impacting geometry too much. Off road vehicles tend to have the longest radius arms, torque arms, and suspension links possible to enable better geometry through the largest range of axle movement.

With the reduction in ground clearance you might want to shorten the wheelbase to 'get back' break-over angle. The ratio between the the height of the door and the height of the window opening looks peculiar. Your window opening is 3 studs high and the door/side is 12 studs? Visibility out of this vehicle would be terrible for tight constrained off road trails.

Have a look at the following for a sense of proportions. There are also instructions.

http://www.nico71.fr/trial-crawler/

Differently designed off-road vehicles are good at different things. Crawlers, rock bouncers, trophy trucks, and trial trucks all look different because of the kind of competition they engage in. What you have designed may very well be the ideal solution for a specific course and taking my general recommendations may reduce its performance on the intended course.

TL;DR

It still looks great and can serve as a foundation for further development.

v/r

Andy

P.S. watch some videos at the following to get a better understanding of these kinds of off road vehicles.

http://www.powernationtv.com/shows/xtreme-off-road