bradleybrand

Main Buildings for a Lego Town

I wonder why Lego hasn't made a town school (other than the Friends one). Most towns have at least an elementary and a high school, even small towns.

Definitely needs a bar/pub/tavern

Diner

Car dealer

TV/radio station

Maybe a laundromat or flower shop,

But every town certainly needs a dirty book store.

A zoo is a great idea but way bigGer than just a building.

Thank you for your suggestions, the diner is a great idea. It would be cool to have a themed diner, like a 80's diner or something. The bar/pub/tavern is a great place for my minifigures to go to relax, I will consider this. The car dealer is a very good idea which I had not really thought about. If I did make a car dealer, I would probably need a car park as well. I haven't thought about a TV/radio station either, this would be great! Things can fit together nicely like for instance, minifigures listen to radio in their cars and if I had a TV station, I could create a store (like a electrical store) which sells TV's as well. If I am correct, there is a past Lego set of a TV vehicle and there are Lego Studios sets with movie cameras as well. Laundromat is a nice idea but not a big demand I don't think, as well as a flower shop - these two things I could easily skip. The book shop sounds a nice idea, I could easily buy the Lego book pieces - I could get my minifigures into reading.

I currently have the Lego Town Hall, Parisian Restaurant, Palace Cinema, Detectives Office, a past petrol station set (or gas station if you’re American), a past airport set, a past police, fire and hospital set and I have past vehicle sets as well. I have four moduler sets in total, all the ones which are currently for sale. A big demand for my city is housing which I have not started on yet. I could very easily build “basic housing” but I want it to have more look and design. This step I need to play around on Lego Digital Designer more until I make apartments which I like the look of. I feel my main focus is the housing, few individual shops, butchers and groceries store. Gradually over time, I will construct some extra buildings – I want apartments above businesses to save space.

Finally, forgot to mention - transport. I really like the idea of a train but to have a train I need a decent layout. I've noticed in the past that little layouts aren't that great, but if I had a decent sized layout, it would have more purpose. The bus service is something I need as well. I thought if I had Lego industry (provide jobs for people), I could have a bus service which could take people to work which would be cool. The thing is I have no idea how to make Lego industry, I feel a fishing industry instead maybe better. I am terrible at making machines for factories.

Edited by bradleybrand

The book shop sounds a nice idea, I could easily buy the Lego book pieces

You don't need book pieces. Have a look at some MOC's with books. Rarely do I see book pieces. Just regular flat pieces and tiles makes for a nice display. Search for lego book case/libraryIbook shop in some of the many lego fan sites/flikr/etc and you'll see. Special pieces are a nice flair, but creativity goes a loooooong way.

I take note of the tips you are getting. I am also recently awakened from my dark years. Sadly the old family collection had been given away (!), so I have to start from scratch. I bought the Palace Cinema, then found 20 kg of random lego pieces online. I've identified some sets, A LOT of boats and planes, and insane amounts of tires, but not regular bricks, windows or doors. Perhaps I'll make lego motor city, with addtional ship building industry. I want to make a fairly timeless city though. Or more precise a city with old buildings, that may or may not have been altered slightly to accomodate modern use. Oh, now I'm rambling. The ideas keep coming. Thanks for the thread, just what I needed.

As a perfectionist with delusions of grandeur I shall mostly heed the advice of not starting to big, and remebering that Lego is not static. But first: sorting.

Edit: I forgot my suggestions:

Brewery/brewpub

Kiosk/newspaper stand

Hotel/hostel (check out Hatter's Hostel Manchester for a great lego potential building)

Betting service

Sports arena/Swimming hall/Gymnastics/Training center etc. Something for physical excercise.

Toll house

Arena for art of all sorts/ Exhibition hall.

Record store/concert arena/music prodution

Law firm

Since you are pondering a fishing industry you should have a fish restaurant, or even better, a sushi restaurant.

Photographer

Funeral service... (Kinda morbid, but hey, it's all a matter of life or death)

Jewellery store/goldsmith

Infrastructure:

Building firm (tool shop have been mentioned, may fill the same purpose)

Convenience store

Plumber

Electrician

Good luck with your city

Edited by Sir Stig

How do you guys set out a LEGO town? I suppose this all depends on your space/area. But I like the idea of a long straight road, with buildings on the side because it means that the town is easily accessible. This reminds me of the city - Great Yarmouth which has a long sea front with shops, houses and industry at the bottom of the straight. This would work well in a converted attic with the buildings against the wall, with a straight road going in the front of them. If you were met with a corner in the room, a corner road plate could be added and another straight could be sent in a different direction. Tables are good for towns too, but are not necessary needed. The only problem with straights is they can seem boring, but are great for rail lines. It all depends if your town is for display purpose or playability I guess.

What are your town plans for towns? If people could share plans of their towns, including maps and photos, it would be great!

I guess you went the modular way for your city. The most normal way to make a streetscape is a long road with buildings on one side. Of course it does not really resemble a city that way, but it makes it all visible to the viewer (and when you make photos to show us :grin: ).

Otherwise I would say, it depends on the kind of city, you have in mind. Many people make some kind of focus point, typically a square or park. But it could also be eg. a river or harbour.

And yes, it all also depends on the space available. A floor gives you the most space (and might be more exposed to dust) while a table might make it more accessible.

Once - in a hopefylly not too distant future - I will start making my own layout. It will be built on a table with a maximum of 6 x 3 baseplates. So not as big as other EB'ers have got (nor as big as I would like). I have had pleanty of ideas on what I wanted to include, but I must say, I have cut it down, though I still tend to dream... But it will be some kind of city centre with some bigger buildings, and probably a kind of suburb or rural area with smaller buildings.

If you have not taken a look at these threads yet, they are worth a visit:

Town Layout Index

Index: Town Layouts (old thread)

I wonder why Lego hasn't made a town school (other than the Friends one). Most towns have at least an elementary and a high school, even small towns.

Definitely needs a bar/pub/tavern

Diner

Car dealer

TV/radio station

Maybe a laundromat or flower shop,

But every town certainly needs a dirty book store.

A zoo is a great idea but way bigGer than just a building.

Who knows, maybe it will be in their next plan :-)