Lukasguy

Bricklinking UCS Imperial Star Destroyer

I'm almost done painting the parts, just the big engine wheels and the upper part of the shield dome.

Here is a picture from the engine barrels

HJkux6sl.jpg

The Dk Bluish grey isn't the exact as the ral 7031. But it's really close and I'm happy with the result

Here you can see the painted backup engines assembled.

UmxxAVLl.jpg

Very pleased with the result :laugh:

I also did the two lower parts of the shield generators. In my opinion I think RAL 7040 resembles Light bluish grey really good.

KzScamkl.jpg

I'll post a picture of the engines when I fully finish them

Edited by Lukasguy

Today I've got a real treat for you guys.

I didn't want to wait for the Lego PaB order to arrive to continue building. I need this order because there are some key elements that I need to make the panels.

So I decided to skip the panels for now and continue with the rest.

So here is the picture with the progress so far:

4d6wCBCl.jpgT3QKH3Jl.jpg7tyndNRl.jpg

I really enjoyed building this part, the technique used is very cool. I'm only missing most of the tab parts because these are in my PaB order.

But Wait, there's more: I've also finished building the bridge :laugh:

kNcDSeYm.jpgU1hq4kkm.jpg

It looks amazing, the build was really cool and it's really big. I absolutely love the design.

These two parts look really good stacked and it's huge. These two parts alone are bigger than the sets lego releases today :grin:

CJGaDoUl.jpg

I still need some small pieces to finish these parts completely but this set has already blown my mind.

dt9FS8Cl.jpg

I've put these parts on the frame. I can't wait until I can start building the side panels.

Here's also a picture of the engines. This used to be Grey with brown and orange, now the colours look perfect. I'm really happy with how the paint job turned out.

ufohixMl.jpg

This model already looks epic and I don't regret bricklinking this one single bit.

Thanks for reading and have a good one.

Looks fantastic! I've never looked this closely at this set until now, and I can see just how amazing it is. One question though, is the original set in LBG, or light grey? I always thought it was light grey, but yours is LBG for sure.

They first released this set in grey, but later switched to light bluish grey.

Mine is mostly light bluish grey but there are some old grey parts in there but I don't mind. You mostly can't see them.

Mine is mostly light bluish grey but there are some old grey parts in there but I don't mind. You mostly can't see them.

Oh ok. I was wondering because I have seen both colors. A few LG prices interspersed shouldn't be too bad.

Those painted parts look spot on! Very nice pictures from the build... I already feel the itch to try this one as well...

Could you describe what kind of color you used for painting the parts, please?

The painted pieces look really good, I can barely tell the difference. The Star Destroyer is looking awesome already :classic:

I used two types of spray paint: RAL 7040 for light bluish grey, which lookes just like it. And RAL 7031 for dark bluish grey, its not perfect but it looks really close.

Thank you, but which make? Paint for plastic models (Tamiya...?) or orher? Avilable on the net or local?

Edited by H_Solo

Mine is the opposite with old grey being the primary. I think if the set is 95% or more in one color you dont notice. Now if the large wheels were in two colors it would be very obvious!!!

Great job with the paint. It looks as though you would need to have really good lighting conditions to see the diff...

I agree, the paint job looks fantastic. Nice work.

I am really enjoying seeing this project come together.

I can't continue building until my next order arrives, so I placed this beast on my pc.

It's so glorious. :laugh:

FVk96zsl.jpg

Thank you, but which make? Paint for plastic models (Tamiya...?) or orher? Avilable on the net or local?

I used this kind of spray paint. I don't know exactly which kind it is, here is the link for the website I bought it from:

http://www.nonpaints.com/nl/motip-ral-kleur-in-spuitbus-400ml

It is in Dutch so you might have to translate it.

kYN2hDpl.jpg

Great, we got "Dupli-Color" here in Germany as well... Thanks a lot!

It looks really great from that low angle... There is a thread here on the board about greebling the engine area, that I find very interesting. Have you had a look before?

Edited by H_Solo

While I'm still waiting for my PaB order I wanted to build a new part of the ship. So I started building the front of the side panel so I could start devising a system for the magnets.

This is what I have so far:

hgjVJajm.jpg2g4F8erm.jpg

This a test to check the how good the magnets fit

TOeKFRJm.jpg

You can see the magnets aren't fully connected and I'll fix this tomorrow.

s0LP7yul.jpg

Bye

While I'm still waiting for my PaB order I continued on the panels.

Here's what I have right now

n616ELTm.jpgbRwL3VNm.jpgFmuLkeMm.jpgµ

I noticed the nose was already tilting down because the frame is not completely finished. So I moved one of the feet into the part where the hanger bay should be.

mZgQY21l.jpg

I'm still looking in my own lego to find some Light bluish grey parts. But the long 6by16 with studs on the edges were a lot cheaper in Light grey. About 1.5 euro instead of 16 euro (for one and I needed eight)

I have now placed the ship right next to me and I love it :laugh:

I'm still looking in my own lego to find some Light bluish grey parts. But the long 6by16 with studs on the edges were a lot cheaper in Light grey. About 1.5 euro instead of 16 euro (for one and I needed eight)

I have now placed the ship right next to me and I love it :laugh:

I would love this too if it were next to me! Are you planing on painting those Light grey parts? Your paint looks so good I'm sure it would work perfectly.

That's a great idea but I'm still waiting if there's no change in the engines. I wouldn't want the part to turn half grey and half bluish grey. Otherwise thanks for the great idea :) I'll keep it in mind

I'm still waiting for the order to arrive. The tracking order says it's in Köln. :sceptic:

I have send a mail to lego regarding my order but they haven't answered yet.

Good news, my PaB order finally arrived :laugh:

U4wptx4m.jpg

It appears it already came but I wasn't home so they shipped it back :sceptic:

With this order I finally finished the ship.

ND86Wn1l.jpgLO1gDIkl.jpg

hkRXA0ml.jpg

Or so I thought.

It appears I forgot the order one piece: the part where the goblet attaches on the side decoration.

amFJ2j1l.jpg

I'll look into buying this part somewhere but I'm not going to hurry.

I'm really happy with how the ship turned out and it looks gorgeous next to my pc.

I'm still looking into spray painting some old grey pieces. I've already done some but I'll have to find time to do the rest.