DrJB

EV3 - Compatible WIFI Adapters?

I did a search for the subject matter and did not find much. While TLG sells an 'approved' adapter, the latter is rather bulky. Anyone knows of other adapters that work with EV3? I'm thinking if this one, as it has a very small footprint.

51Niqo5Ux7L._SL1280_.jpg

Edited by DrJB

I haven't tried it yet, but I've read that the Edimax EW-7811UN (150Mbit/s) nano USB adapter works well with ev3dev.org

I don't know if it works with LEGO's original EV3 firmware, but I have it so I can try it for you. So long as no Windows / Mac is required (I have none 0:)

Original EV3 firmware doesn't support the Edimax. In fact it doesn't support almost every Wifi dongle in the world other than Netgear N150 (WNA1100).

But you can upgrade the firmware of the EV3 to include the drivers for the Edimax. I never tried it since I only use ev3dev (main reason: it supports allmost everything I can think of).

If you don't want to try this, you need to get a Wifi dongle with the same chipset of the Netgear N150 (an Atheros AR9271, linux driver ath9k_htc). And even so it might not work if it needs a firmware different of the Netgear (some companies don't share their devices firmwares to the open source community so even if the llinux kernel supports the driver it can do nothing without the micro firmware that the driver needs).

See this wiki about the Atheros AR9271, it lists some devices that uses it, including the TP-LINK TL-WN722N (almost the same model number of the TP-LINK you show above).

Good luck!

I did a search for the subject matter and did not find much. While TLG sells an 'approved' adapter, the latter is rather bulky. Anyone knows of other adapters that work with EV3? I'm thinking if this one, as it has a very small footprint.

Unfortunately, the only one compatible is the bulky one.

Original EV3 firmware doesn't support the Edimax. In fact it doesn't support almost every Wifi dongle in the world other than Netgear N150 (WNA1100).

But you can upgrade the firmware of the EV3 to include the drivers for the Edimax. I never tried it since I only use ev3dev (main reason: it supports allmost everything I can think of).

This sounds interesting!