Kintobor

Heroica RPG- Quest #122: Invasion of the Sheep Snatchers

"You must be the heroes of Heroica that I have hired? I apologize for not meeting you at the foot of the mountain, but I've had to help prepare for tonights... well, I'm certain you know a little about your task, considering the information I included on the notice for your hall. I am most honoured that you would assist my tribe in our hour of need yet again, as your organization saved my daughter from the halls of the Academy of Enlightenment when it disappeared. My name is Chief Tarlock of the Sheep Tribe. Now then, shall we discuss what you're here for? I'm certain you have many questions."

Tarlock begins to pour himself something to drink out of a bottle while motioning for the party to take a seat. He seemed a little uneasy about something.

The Black Knight sat down opposite from the Chieftan.

"Yes, thank you. I do indeed have several questions.

What exactly can you share with us about these...raiders, shall we refer to them as for the moment? Have you seen what they look like, what they...any strange machines or devices they use?"

Matthias wonders, not for the first time, why Whisperer seems so intent on doing the talking, and such a rude job of it. He extends a tiny hand to the Chieftain. "Peace to you, Chief Tarlock. My name is Matthias; these others are Lind, Purpearl, and Siercon. We're glad to have this opportunity to assist the Sheep Tribe on behalf of Heroica. Please tell us everything."

Purpearl steps forward and bows slighty, "Pleasure to assist, Chief and I hope your daughter is well." Purpearl continues, "I hope we've come just in time to help your village, if tonight is what we're here for. Ultimately, protecting your sheep and village is our business. Please let us in on the preparations the village has done so far and how we can make it better."

The Black Knight sat down opposite from the Chieftan.

"Yes, thank you. I do indeed have several questions.

What exactly can you share with us about these...raiders, shall we refer to them as for the moment? Have you seen what they look like, what they...any strange machines or devices they use?"

16204503479_96361bb90b_t.jpg

"Ah, straight to the Others, I see. We never see them, the only thing we see are lights in the sky, then beams shot down to the ground and our sheep are lifted into the air, as if through magic. We do not see any of them, though. These beings could be the lights themselves."

Purpearl steps forward and bows slighty, "Pleasure to assist, Chief and I hope your daughter is well." Purpearl continues, "I hope we've come just in time to help your village, if tonight is what we're here for. Ultimately, protecting your sheep and village is our business. Please let us in on the preparations the village has done so far and how we can make it better."

"I already have my four sons running around helping with boarding up buildings and making sure families are safe inside their houses. You four have a much more important role to fulfill."

Matthias wonders, not for the first time, why Whisperer seems so intent on doing the talking, and such a rude job of it. He extends a tiny hand to the Chieftain. "Peace to you, Chief Tarlock. My name is Matthias; these others are Lind, Purpearl, and Siercon. We're glad to have this opportunity to assist the Sheep Tribe on behalf of Heroica. Please tell us everything."

"It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Matthais." Tarlock shakes Matthais's tiny hand in a firm grip.

"Everything? Well then, where to start...

It first started about 450 years ago, before Eubric was even founded. Our tribe was one of the first here on Uland, and although we stuck to our mountain, it seemed that something had been attracted to our sheep. Dancing lights would appear in the sky, growing bigger and bigger until finally they'd come underneath a sheep and through a beam of light would lift the sheep into the air as if through the use of magic. We were unprepared at first, and we lost almost all of our lively hood. Since then, every thirty moons the Others, as we call them, return to steal our sheep. We've hired people before, but they too went missing along with our sheep. We've tried hiding them, but the Others still manage to suck them up.

I've brought you here to ensure our sheep don't get sucked up by the Others. You'll be staying outside for the night where we've left some of our sheep for the Others to take away, and when they do, you ensure they don't take the sheep. Does this make sense?"

Siercon spoke for the first time. "So, I'm assuming when the sheep are taken, it is gently as if not to harm the sheep. They seeming want the sheep alive, and well right? Since we've never seen these thieves before, have you ever tried to put a leash on the sheep. then they would all be like anchored air ships when the next attack comes." He continued "This would at least inform the snatchers that you do not appreciate it... if for some reason they are odd naive spiritual beings. But more importantly, this may force them into action. Make them come down and cut the tethers, show a different ability or something..." Siercon said poking into the dark.

"Ah, straight to the Others, I see. We never see them, the only thing we see are lights in the sky, then beams shot down to the ground and our sheep are lifted into the air, as if through magic. We do not see any of them, though.

"Thank you." Intimidate: "It does indeed sound very much like we have some sort of magic on our hands."

"These beings could be the lights themselves."
"Very possibly - and if I might add, an excellent deduction on your part." The Black Knight turned to the others. "Make a note of that possibility, someone."

Siercon spoke for the first time. "So, I'm assuming when the sheep are taken, it is gently as if not to harm the sheep. They seeming want the sheep alive, and well right? Since we've never seen these thieves before, have you ever tried to put a leash on the sheep. then they would all be like anchored air ships when the next attack comes." He continued "This would at least inform the snatchers that you do not appreciate it... if for some reason they are odd naive spiritual beings. But more importantly, this may force them into action. Make them come down and cut the tethers, show a different ability or something..." Siercon said poking into the dark.

"I myself haven't, but if I'm certain someone's tried it before. The beams of light have picked up people and other small items lying on the ground, so I'd assume they'd just pull up the leash and whatever it was attached to. It's a curious musing, but one that I doubt would have any effect."

"Thank you." Intimidate: "It does indeed sound very much like we have some sort of magic on our hands."

Chief Tarlock looks sternly at Lind.

"I don't understand your tone, Whisperer. If you're trying to intimidate me, I assure you your attempts will not end well."

"I don't understand your tone, Whisperer. If you're trying to intimidate me, I assure you your attempts will not end well."

"Not in the least, Master Chieftan," the Black Knight reassured in a calm and cheerful tone. "I was sincerely congratulating you on your quite logical and highly likely hypothesis."

OoC: :facepalm: My bad, I should have defined what I was trying to do. I was trying to have one of those moments where a person uses a firm and cheerful voice to suggest that one thing is more certain/better/preferable to something else, and anyone who disagrees has to verbally challenge their opinion, something most people wouldn't do without sufficient provocations - in other words, intimidating them into following(or in this case, agreeing with) what they're saying. It's not exactly the "growling in your face" type of Intimidation, but it should still apply. Either way, though, that was way more than could have been figured out from my just saying "Intimidate."

Edited by Lind Whisperer

I've brought you here to ensure our sheep don't get sucked up by the Others. You'll be staying outside for the night where we've left some of our sheep for the Others to take away, and when they do, you ensure they don't take the sheep. Does this make sense?"

Purpearl reassures the Chief, "We will see to it. Even if we get sucked along with it, we will return with your sheep."

"Not in the least, Master Chieftan," the Black Knight reassured in a calm and cheerful tone. "I was sincerely congratulating you on your quite logical and highly likely hypothesis."

"If there's anything I've learnt from my short time in Heroica, going against your employer wouldn't bode well in the long run."

OoC: :facepalm: My bad, I should have defined what I was trying to do. I was trying to have one of those moments where a person uses a firm and cheerful voice to suggest that one thing is more certain/better/preferable to something else, and anyone who disagrees has to verbally challenge their opinion, something most people wouldn't do without sufficient provocations - in other words, intimidating them into following(or in this case, agreeing with) what they're saying. It's not exactly the "growling in your face" type of Intimidation, but it should still apply. Either way, though, that was way more than could have been figured out from my just saying "Intimidate."

QM Note: Noted, saved, kept somewhere so I can bring it up later. :wink:I still don't see how that's intimidation, or why you decided to use intimidation but let's move on.

"Then I'd advise you to watch your tone. There were people who could shout adversaries off of mountains, once upon a time. Be thankful I am both not one of them, as well as a relatively lenient person." It seems Tarlock was still angry with Lind, glaring at him before turning to Purpearl.

Purpearl reassures the Chief, "We will see to it. Even if we get sucked along with it, we will return with your sheep."

"Well... I hope not. Those who have been sucked up, never return."

15770711493_3cdbceb5ac_o.jpg

"KINDA LIKE THAT GREEN CLAD KID. HE SEEMED PRETTY TOUGH, BUT AFTER THE THIRD DAY WE NEVER DID HEAR ABOUT HIM AGAIN."

15768274764_5f6c996665_o.jpg

Standing in the doorway was a younger woman, most likely in her late teens. She was wearing a satchel and preparing to heft a rucksack on her back, a large wooden club in her hand. Her hat was woolly and looked incredibly soft.

"Oh, uh... heroes, this is Sorsha, my daughter! She's quite the talented fighter, having staved off demons!" Tarlock seemed a little surprised at Sorsha's appearance, but not in a negative way.

"HELLO!" She yelled rather loudly. Sorsha looked rather enthusiastic to be seeing Heroicans. How shall the party respond?

Siercon wondered if Tarlock was surprised due to her apparently being dressed for battle. Without pleasantries, or redirecting his gaze Siercon said simply: "You wish to join us?" His inflection was halfway between an informatively prophetic statement and a question awaiting a favorable reply.

"KINDA LIKE THAT GREEN CLAD KID. HE SEEMED PRETTY TOUGH, BUT AFTER THE THIRD DAY WE NEVER DID HEAR ABOUT HIM AGAIN."

Standing in the doorway was a younger woman, most likely in her late teens. She was wearing a satchel and preparing to heft a rucksack on her back, a large wooden club in her hand. Her hat was woolly and looked incredibly soft.

"Oh, uh... heroes, this is Sorsha, my daughter! She's quite the talented fighter, having staved off demons!" Tarlock seemed a little surprised at Sorsha's appearance, but not in a negative way.

"HELLO!" She yelled rather loudly. Sorsha looked rather enthusiastic to be seeing Heroicans. How shall the party respond?

The Black Knight bowed. "A pleasure to meet you, Master Fighter." He straightened back up.

"Might I be so inquisitive as to ask for a for little more information about the green-clad juvenile you mentioned a moment ago? Particularly anything about his three-day survival and subsequent disappearance?"

"Well... I hope not. Those who have been sucked up, never return."

Purpearl nods in acknowledgement as she attempts not to entertain the possibility of being sucked up by the Others, "There must be reason or reasons as to why they target your sheep. Perhaps if they understand these sheep aren't wild and they belong to your village, they might stop. But, we'll have to be vigilant, anything can happen."

Purpearl takes in the loud voices pretty comfortably, as they seem genuine. The elf smiles and extends her hand, "Hello, pleasure to meet you, Sorsha. I'm Purpearl. Looks like you're all ready for tonight. Ready to protect some sheep?"

Matthias stares unbelieving at Whisperer as the latter attempts to intimidate their employer and host, then stifles a laugh as the Chieftain isn't amused. The gnome turns to Sorsha as she enters and rolls his eyes as Whisperer pulls out his "Master Fighter" bit - She's just a kid, and who talks like that anyway? - but he decides to let Berthadhiell handle that conversation. Turning back to Tarlock, the gnome expresses some doubts. "Chief Tarlock, you mentioned you were leaving some sheep outside for the Others to take. Do you keep the others inside, and would it work to simply keep them all inside? Also, did you have any ideas about how we might be able to prevent the sheep being stolen? I get the feeling you expect us to stop the stealing forever, but I'm not sure I know how to fight lights. Should we disguise ourselves as sheep and hope to be taken so that we can meet the Others?"

Sorry all, had a terrifically long day at work yesterday but now I'm on a three-day weekend!

Siercon wondered if Tarlock was surprised due to her apparently being dressed for battle. Without pleasantries, or redirecting his gaze Siercon said simply: "You wish to join us?" His inflection was halfway between an informatively prophetic statement and a question awaiting a favorable reply.

"WOULD I! I WAS GOING TO ASK YOU IF I COULD JOIN YOU IN SAVING OUR SHEEP, BUT I DIDN'T KNOW IF YOU GUYS WANTED ME. I REALLY HOPE YOU GUYS WILL LET ME COME WITH YOU!" Sorsha seemed to be building with energy, but her father simply watched and scratched his beard in contemplation.

Purpearl nods in acknowledgement as she attempts not to entertain the possibility of being sucked up by the Others, "There must be reason or reasons as to why they target your sheep. Perhaps if they understand these sheep aren't wild and they belong to your village, they might stop. But, we'll have to be vigilant, anything can happen."

Purpearl takes in the loud voices pretty comfortably, as they seem genuine. The elf smiles and extends her hand, "Hello, pleasure to meet you, Sorsha. I'm Purpearl. Looks like you're all ready for tonight. Ready to protect some sheep?"

"If you think you can be diplomatic with these Others, then so be it. I don't think you'll get very far though."

Sorsha grabs Purpearl's hand violently shakes it up and down, almost dislocating the Mystic Knight's arm.

"I GOTTA PROVE I'M CAPABLE OF DEFENDING THIS VILLAGE, AND I'M GOING TO DO IT IF YOU GUYS WILL LET ME JOIN YOU!"

Matthias stares unbelieving at Whisperer as the latter attempts to intimidate their employer and host, then stifles a laugh as the Chieftain isn't amused. The gnome turns to Sorsha as she enters and rolls his eyes as Whisperer pulls out his "Master Fighter" bit - She's just a kid, and who talks like that anyway? - but he decides to let Berthadhiell handle that conversation. Turning back to Tarlock, the gnome expresses some doubts. "Chief Tarlock, you mentioned you were leaving some sheep outside for the Others to take. Do you keep the others inside, and would it work to simply keep them all inside? Also, did you have any ideas about how we might be able to prevent the sheep being stolen? I get the feeling you expect us to stop the stealing forever, but I'm not sure I know how to fight lights. Should we disguise ourselves as sheep and hope to be taken so that we can meet the Others?"

"We've tried keeping them inside, but that... that only led to them ripping the roofs off of the buildings the sheep were stored in and taking everything in them. I'd rather risk some sheep than all of them and any potential member of my village. I'm certain you'll think of something before they arrive."

The Black Knight bowed. "A pleasure to meet you, Master Fighter." He straightened back up.

"Might I be so inquisitive as to ask for a for little more information about the green-clad juvenile you mentioned a moment ago? Particularly anything about his three-day survival and subsequent disappearance?"

"WELL, I GUESS I'M A MASTER FIGHTER, SEEING AS HOW I DID FEND OFF MULTIPLE DEMONS AND A HORDE OF SKELETONS WITH NOTHING BUT A CHAIR AND A PLUNGER.

HE WASN'T ANYTHING THAT BIG. KIND OF SHORT. HE WENT MISSING, LIKE ANYONE ELSE WHO TRIED TO STOP THE OTHERS."

"I GOTTA PROVE I'M CAPABLE OF DEFENDING THIS VILLAGE, AND I'M GOING TO DO IT IF YOU GUYS WILL LET ME JOIN YOU!"

"Well, I hardly see how we could say no to such a reasonable request," said the Black Knight, sounding almost(but not quite), bemused at her excitement.

"If you think you can be diplomatic with these Others, then so be it. I don't think you'll get very far though."

"Before someone inevitably suggests it, I would like to register my vote against trying to commune with them through the power of synchronized line dancing..."

"WELL, I GUESS I'M A MASTER FIGHTER, SEEING AS HOW I DID FEND OFF MULTIPLE DEMONS AND A HORDE OF SKELETONS WITH NOTHING BUT A CHAIR AND A PLUNGER.

"Fascinating. I must remember to ask you later about the details..."

Edited by Lind Whisperer

Sorsha grabs Purpearl's hand violently shakes it up and down, almost dislocating the Mystic Knight's arm.

"That's some inner vitality, Sorsha. I'm sure you can join us, as long as your father is agreeable to it." Purpearl winks as she gently massages her arm.

"Before someone inevitably suggests it, I would like to register my vote against trying to commune with them through the power of synchronized line dancing..."

"If they are not of this world, there might be a communication barrier. However, if all else fails, there is always the infallible surface-to-air option."

Matthias gathers his cannon and renders a quick salute to the chief. "We'll head out then, Chief Tarlock, and your daughter with us, unless you have anything else?"

"Do you by chance still have this heroic plunger?" Siercon said with an audible smile. He gathered his things and after looking around for any peculiar objects he may have questions about, was prepared to leave.

"Do you by chance still have this heroic plunger?" Siercon said with an audible smile. He gathered his things and after looking around for any peculiar objects he may have questions about, was prepared to leave.

"I THINK ANOTHER HERO TOOK IT... I DON'T REMEMBER. NEEDLESS TO SAY, I DON'T HAVE IT ANYMORE. SORRY."

The party's unanimous decision to allow Sorsha into their fold is meet with the young woman's excitement. She picks up Matthais and hugs him, nearly squeezing the breath out of him.

"I WON'T LET YOU GUYS DOWN, I PROMISE! I'LL MEET YOU AT THE SPOT WHERE WE'RE LEAVING A FEW SHEEP!"

Sorsha ran ahead, leaving the party in Tarlock's house. As they prepared to chase after her, Tarlock coughs, trying to get the party's attention.

"I have no reason to not let my daughter assist you in saving my village's sheep, she's a strong, independent young woman, but... I've almost lost her once before. I am very proud of my daughter for what she did in the Academy of Enlightenment, but I worry her bullrush attitude as well as her temper will get her hurt one day, or worse. Do not let anything happen to my daughter. I am leaving her in your care. Do I make myself clear?" Tarlock seemed dead serious towards the party, even a little intimidating in their eyes. Tarlock was clearly worried about his daughter.

Matthias collects his breath (and his dignity), re-settles his hat on his head, and nods respectfully. "We'll ensure your daughter returns safely, Chief Tarlock. I will make it my personal charge."

Turning to the rest of the party, Matthias looks towards the door. "Anyone have any bright ideas on where to start? How to prepare?"

"I have no reason to not let my daughter assist you in saving my village's sheep, she's a strong, independent young woman, but... I've almost lost her once before. I am very proud of my daughter for what she did in the Academy of Enlightenment, but I worry her bullrush attitude as well as her temper will get her hurt one day, or worse. Do not let anything happen to my daughter. I am leaving her in your care. Do I make myself clear?" Tarlock seemed dead serious towards the party, even a little intimidating in their eyes. Tarlock was clearly worried about his daughter.

The Black Knight bowed respectfully.

"I take this promise onto myself. Your daughter shall pass over the door lintel again ."

Edited by Lind Whisperer

Matthias shakes his head. It's like I'm not even here with that guy, he thinks.

Turning to the rest of the party, Matthias looks towards the door. "Anyone have any bright ideas on where to start? How to prepare?"

Lowering his voice, the Black Knight turned to the rest of the party. "I believe that we should first ask a few questions of the local tribesmen - perhaps one or more of them may have more information than perhaps they've shared. "

"Magic beings, which they almost certainly are," he said with a note of Intimidation in his voice, which quickly faded away, "Have a tendency to be rather...unsettling, and can occasionally cause situations that may seem...extraordinary, to the common viewer."

"A few may perhaps have experienced more than they have freely shared," he repeated, "And if they have, I want to know their secrets."

"After that, I believe we should investigate the sheep, to see if they can share any secrets. For the duration of that, I will probably need to borrow your extremely attractive hood for a moment, Master Mage, as I have a few questions that would be better asked directly, than through a translator."

"How to prepare?"

The Black Knight turned towards the gnome specifically.

"According to popular stereotype, people of your race have a...sort of brilliancy, for minor mechanical workings. Would it be possible to create some sort of simple timer for an incendiary device?"

He turned towards the Battle Mage again. "I was thinking, if we could have your Cataclysm Bomb rigged out with such a device prior to any conflict, perhaps(if all else failed), we could lob into the bea-Being!, the magic being, that is attacking the sheep, we could lob it into the magic being, and it might be sucked u-it might be consumed, it might be consumed by it, and, well...there's the end of your magic being. Which is what it is."

Grudgingly Matthias admits to himself that the tall Munchkin's ideas are all good. He speaks to the Black Knight in low tones while waiting for the chieftain to release them to their work. "How about this: Master Siercon and I will interview the sheep; you and Lady Purpearl can interview the villagers. Keep your eyes open for a spring-wound time-ticker as well, and when we meet up again I'll what I can do about an incendiary timer." The gnome glances around the party to see what they thought of the plan.