Sign in to follow this  
derpydragon

What sets should I get to kick off some RC MOCs?

Having just bought the 42030 Volvo Wheel Loader, I now have access to a wide array of power functions elements. I was wondering about other sets I could purchase that would give me some more options for building mainly RC rock crawler MOCs. I'd want some better wheels, better steering, shock absorbers, etc. I hear everyone talk about the 42000 set for its hubs, and some people pointing out the 42021 set for its new version of the wishbone system. I don't want to simply purchase something like 9398, because I still want to appreciate the original array of sets. Think of this as a kit-bashing exercise like I was building a greebled Star Wars model.

Get the 42029. You get the hubs and the small hard shocks, because you can buy the 9398 tires on Brick Link or buy third party tires. But it also depends on how you plan to attach the differential. Are planning like the 9398, or a 4-link, or other?

Get the 42029. You get the hubs and the small hard shocks, because you can buy the 9398 tires on Brick Link or buy third party tires. But it also depends on how you plan to attach the differential. Are planning like the 9398, or a 4-link, or other?

Probably like the 9398, but i'll do some of my own work in there. I've dabbled around with a few mock-ups using parts from the 42005 monster truck set so I suppose I'll just see what works.

If you got the 42005 then you could get the 42029. I think its a good model, but it is an excellent parts model. However the time are a little bit smaller than the 42030. The only thing you would need to order might be a couple Technic, Link 1 x 6 without Stoppers.

I have have the 42000, 42029, and the 42030, and I see all 3 as enough to make amost any thing.

So 42000 and buy tire for the loader rims, or 42029 and buy the links (and/or bigger tires), or just say screw it and buy both.

P.S. Just my opinion.

Yeah I actually have 42005. Excellent set isn't it.

Get 42005, it's cheap, it's a fun build before you strip it for parts.

It has 2 torque tubes, tyres that are good for crawling, the ball-joint links and 4 shocks. http://shop.lego.com...Listing=listing

What are the torque tubes you speak of? The universal joints or something else?

For crawler MOCs? I think you should buy 9398 anyway.

For one, it has more pf parts that let you build more than one model at a time,

which I think is a big plus since you don't have to keep breaking down models for new one.

Second, it is actually a very good part set, long hard shock absorbs, big off road wheels, portal wheel hubs,

steering arms, links, all of which are key parts for crawlers. More than that, it has a couple of white panels,

and some white and orange parts, I like those colors and they can make your MOCs less boring than the red/black/yellow ones.

If you got the 42005 then you could get the 42029. I think its a good model, but it is an excellent parts model. However the time are a little bit smaller than the 42030. The only thing you would need to order might be a couple Technic, Link 1 x 6 without Stoppers.

I have have the 42000, 42029, and the 42030, and I see all 3 as enough to make amost any thing.

So 42000 and buy tire for the loader rims, or 42029 and buy the links (and/or bigger tires), or just say screw it and buy both.

P.S. Just my opinion.

My birthday's in April so I might be able to wait it out. =P

For crawler MOCs? I think you should buy 9398 anyway.

For one, it has more pf parts that let you build more than one model at a time,

which I think is a big plus since you don't have to keep breaking down models for new one.

Second, it is actually a very good part set, long hard shock absorbs, big off road wheels, portal wheel hubs,

steering arms, links, all of which are key parts for crawlers. More than that, it has a couple of white panels,

and some white and orange parts, I like those colors and they can make your MOCs less boring than the red/black/yellow ones.

The main reason I'm staying away from it is because most of the sets I find are around $200

What would you all propose. Just bite the bullet and grab 9398, or go for 42000 and 42029 for some extra pieces along the way?

If you have 9398 and 42030, you'll have enough pf parts for 3 cars at one time.

And then, you can choose some sets from 42000, 42007, 42005,42036, 42037,42038,42029 and even 42021x2,

since, these sets are all about suspensions, wheels, tracks etc.

There are some overlaps between them, so you need "choose" if your budget is limited.

For example, I did not buy 42005 myself, instead, I bought/will buy all the others I listed the second line.

Since the key parts in 42005, like ball joints, wheels, soft absorbs, are all in the other sets while the other sets have their unique high value parts themselves.

Among them, the 42037 is kind of special, cuz it has the same key parts as 42029, I plan to buy it only because the 4 57515s.

If you have 9398 and 42030, you'll have enough pf parts for 3 cars at one time.

And then, you can choose some sets from 42000, 42007, 42005,42036, 42037,42038,42029 and even 42021x2,

since, these sets are all about suspensions, wheels, tracks etc.

There are some overlaps between them, so you need "choose" if your budget is limited.

For example, I did not buy 42005 myself, instead, I bought/will buy all the others I listed the second line.

Since the key parts in 42005, like ball joints, wheels, soft absorbs, are all in the other sets while the other sets have their unique high value parts themselves.

Among them, the 42037 is kind of special, cuz it has the same key parts as 42029, I plan to buy it only because the 4 57515s.

Very valid points. I am definitely getting 42037 soon, not only for those points you raised but because I just like the look of it too.

Oh haha, thanks for clearing that up. Didn't know they were called that!