brickosouch

High speed brickosouch's modified lego (~40km/h)

What I know : it is different from the mini-z one. Also, it can be great to have a metal gear as I think that when there is a metal against a plastic gear it is the metal gear that worn out. But why you don't want to take the gear of the original motor? Except for simplicity.

Here is a picture of inside the 5292 http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=116083. The motor has the same shape of a 130 size. From the picture, if someone know the width of the plastic cover (the width just above the thermistor of this picture http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1093815) we can roughly deduce the width of the motor and be more sure that it's a 130.

If it is a 130, what is good with the 5292 it's that the motor has more room to cool down. The downside is the 5292 is more expensive and bigger than the pf-m. From my point of view it does not worth it.

The pitch should be deductible from the height of the gear and the number of tooth. I am lazy to do that :-).

Well wondering I don't think lego uses a 48 pitch gear but actually delrin pinion would be better then the brass especially because of the low friction so it be possibly smoother operation but just a thought

I don't understand well the question :-). From what I tested, the atomic stock is great for pf-M and perhaps pf-L. I can't say for other as I didn't test it.

I was wondering if you knew a motor with good specs that can run off of the Lego PF system?

Well wondering I don't think lego uses a 48 pitch gear but actually delrin pinion would be better then the brass especially because of the low friction so it be possibly smoother operation but just a thought

Yep, don't know too.

I was wondering if you knew a motor with good specs that can run off of the Lego PF system?

There are tons of motor for rc model that you can use, 540 size for 1/10, 380 size for 1/18.

But I don't know which one is the best. Don't go too big, the lego will not support it. The atomic stock stress already the gears and axles almost at the limit.

On 16/01/2015 at 1:57 AM, brickosouch said:

Actually you don't care DC or AC, cause you don't use the DC controller of lego. You have to buy another one. So if the modified motor is AC, buy an AC controller.

Yeah, I did not saw that, perhaps because of the price and I don't have the proper controller. But that is an interesting way for sure. They must heat less. Though I did not search a lot, the price seems to be twice more.

Here is quite good comparison of different motors (in french) http://www.minizfrance.com/t429-referencement-des-moteurs . The team orion is not the only one. But be careful, some motor shown there are for "bigger" mini-z (the round one) : the size of these motors are bigger than the 130 size.

Actually for more power, I was thinking to stop using the pf-M. As I don't know if the internal gears will handle that.

Now that I have a CNC mill I would have liked to make a specific mount for 380 size motor or sthg like that, to have sthg more powerful and not more expensive. But before thinking to have more power than the atomic, you must think to change some part of lego : u-joint, ball bearing at least for the tyre mount... This two things are important to make a chassis that can handle the power. That is the next step I am thinking with the CNC. But I don't have the time now for that.

Hi brickosouch! I'm new here on eurobricks. I am very impressed with your Le mans car. Excellent work!

I purchased a few of your PF-M modified motors a couple of years ago and they work great! The high speed has caused some melted parts so I am interested in buying some of those 3L bearings you used at the wheels of your Le mans car? If not, is there a source where I can find some?

Thanks!

Hi, again. I have not a lots of time, that why I took so long to reply.

Yes this Le mans car was great to ride! I hope I'll have some time soon to make some other model like this one!

I checked at my lego boxes (that are covered with dust..) and I have no ball bearing lift arm to sell anymore. But I just open my shapeways model if you want. Here : http://www.shapeways.com/shops/brickosouch . For now there is no object shown in this shapeway shop. I have to find how to make shapeways object accessible to everyone. Arr, I think I can't make the model accessible for everyone if I do not print it first for myself. Or I can give you the 3d source file and you print it by yourself with shapeways? Or you wait that I start playing with lego again (I will have perhaps time in 5 months or so).

Edited by brickosouch

1 hour ago, brickosouch said:

Hi, again. I have not a lots of time, that why I took so long to reply.

Yes this Le mans car was great to ride! I hope I'll have some time soon to make some other model like this one!

I checked at my lego boxes (that are covered with dust..) and I have no ball bearing lift arm to sell anymore. But I just open my shapeways model if you want. Here : http://www.shapeways.com/shops/brickosouch . For now there is no object shown in this shapeway shop. I have to find how to make shapeways object accessible to everyone. Arr, I think I can't make the model accessible for everyone if I do not print it first for myself. Or I can give you the 3d source file and you print it by yourself with shapeways? Or you wait that I start playing with lego again (I will have perhaps time in 5 months or so).

Try going to your models, you can access it by going to the top right of the screen and hovering over your profile picture and clicking on 'models'. It then should bring you to where your designs are stored so then you can edit them. Click on the model and find "Edit project with this model" (on the right side opposite from the name) and click that and click on what comes up below it. On the next page it brings up the top option should be "offer for sale to others" and "display to the public". Check both of those and it should then come up for sale.

Thanks for the help. I did check that "offer for sale to others" and "display to the public" and it did not show up in the public side of the shop.

I'll see in PM with sammy.

Hi there, just ran into your Le Mans Car on Youtube. Great stuff!!  (Also) Posted a question regarding the ball bearing. If you can share any details, much appreciated (can't find it on Shapeways ....)

Noticed the car steers slightly nervous. Had the same problem. Resolved it using attached mechanism. Just for inspiration. Please notice the modified bush (1/4), gives a tiny bit of toe-in, works well.

servo steering.jpg

Yes, I didn't think to tune the suspension. I'll try it if I do another model one day.

I will post the 3d source file here soon.