Does anybody know which manufacturer the designer of the 8455 may have chose as the inspiration for the model? To me, it somewhat resembles a JCB. Definitely not a CAT or Deere it doesn't look like, they are uglier, JCB's made in I believe the UK, are streamlined and elegant in their design.

Seems like, at least in the past 10 years or so, Technic designers have designed as close to an actual manufacturer's model as they can. Most are European designs with cabovers, like the 8258 for example, but living in the US, I can say that they also try to design snout-nosed vehicles also like the 2 larger tow trucks, the 8285 beast and its smaller counterpart, the 9395, as well as the 9397 logging truck. A lot of the construction equipment is rather universal to the developed world. Loaders look like loaders, dozers like dozers, etc. But, some, more than others, do resemble a specific brand (disregarding the 8110 Mercedes-Benz Unimog and 42030 Volvo Loader, which are obvious direct manufacturer designs).

But, I'm just curious about the 8455. Model year 2003 revived Technic, in my opinion, 2004 kind of didn't hit on all cylinders, with the exception of the 8436. Then 2005 comes, and since its been one great year after the next with Technic.

Edited by DarkShadow73

I think its usually a mix of different models. If they did an exact copy there could be some legal/licensing problems IMO.

The 8455 is quite generic but the stabilizers are definitely JCB.

The stabilizers are actually something where you can spot the difference between models, since the digging rack is quite generic even in real life.

Then of course you have the Danish Hydrema and Swedish Huddig with actuated steering and the more rare models where the entire digging rack can be located sideways...

What would really make a cool replica is to incorporate the tilting mechanism that some diggers have between boom and stick. i have no idea what is is called, except in Swedish...

8425_6164_1.jpg

They are called knuckle booms and are commonly found on tracked excavators.

thanks!

While we are one the subject of booms, what would this be called? the boom can be "knuckled" as you can see.

It is called "city boom" in Germany I've heard, due to shorter total length while transporting.

Anyone up for a MOC with this construction..?.. :classic:

4533_ec240b_1.jpg

The 8455 is quite generic but the stabilizers are definitely JCB.

The stabilizers are actually something where you can spot the difference between models, since the digging rack is quite generic even in real life.

Then of course you have the Danish Hydrema and Swedish Huddig with actuated steering and the more rare models where the entire digging rack can be located sideways...

What would really make a cool replica is to incorporate the tilting mechanism that some diggers have between boom and stick. i have no idea what is is called, except in Swedish...

Where I used to live here in the US, where JCB's aren't all that common, at least around where I live anyway, there was a contractor who stored his equipment on the property. Sure I'd seen all manner of CAT's, Deere's, Volvo's, Komatsu, Kobelco, etc, but he had a JCB Backhoe/Loader 214XL model and those stabilizers are definitely JCB I thought. He also had a JCB Loadall and JCB Front Loader, of course on the weekends and in the evenings I used to walk over there and check them out, JCB is tops in design in my mind. When the 8455 came out in 2003 and I saw first images of it, I thought this looks an awful lot like the JCB model. Either way, I would have bought the 8455, it is damn hard to get all the hoses just right in such a tight place, and getting them on those t-pieces (that large gray 'web' is esp hard with the 2L and 3L hoses you cut and have to get on all those t-pieces comes to mind), but the model was brilliant when it was finished. Like many have said, an air tank would have definitely benefited, but after a while it makes a great shelfpiece too. I have 2 assembled, and 1 new in sealed box and I almost don't want to break the seal.

As far as genericness, I guess that can be said, but I think the majority of other manufacturers of backhoe/loaders don't have as good a design as even a favorite Lego toy has.

Oh yeah, that is a nice tilting mechanism. I have never seen anything like the knuckle boom on Alasdair's pic. Very interesting, as I actually building an MOC medium-large size backhoe/loader right now that will be motorized with all mini-LA's. I have most of the booming done, but I might have to see if I can somehow incorporate that knuckle boom, but not sure if it can be accomplished on a non-tracked vehicle, my design is wheeled.

I think in looks, the 8069 isn't a bad choice either, just too bad it can't be motorized.

thanks!

While we are one the subject of booms, what would this be called? the boom can be "knuckled" as you can see.

It is called "city boom" in Germany I've heard, due to shorter total length while transporting.

Anyone up for a MOC with this construction..?.. :classic:

4533_ec240b_1.jpg

That is one sweet excavator. After buying the 42030, I really like the extra black on the Volvo's, rather than almost a total yellow machine like the 8265 Loader or 8043 Excavator (which has an unrealistic bucket in terms of size, I found a link here to a designer's re-created 3rd boom with the medium size bucket, much better looking that way). But, it would be really cool if TLG produced a large scale Volvo excavator to go with the 42030. Unlikely since they have produced so many excavators since 2008, but still...

Edited by DarkShadow73

thanks!

That is called a 3 piece boom,they are good for trenching because they give a deeper digging depth,they also give a bit more height.

When folded in they can also lift more than a excavator the same size with a conventional setup.

I am really sort of time....I would love to build a excavator like that,some day. :cry_sad:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

That is called a 3 piece boom,they are good for trenching because they give a deeper digging depth,they also give a bit more height.

When folded in they can also lift more than a excavator the same size with a conventional setup.

I am really sort of time....I would love to build a excavator like that,some day. :cry_sad:

Too bad, I have seen some of what you have built...brilliant

Where I used to live here in the US, where JCB's aren't all that common, at least around where I live anyway, there was a contractor who stored his equipment on the property. Sure I'd seen all manner of CAT's, Deere's, Volvo's, Komatsu, Kobelco, etc, but he had a JCB Backhoe/Loader 214XL model and those stabilizers are definitely JCB I thought. He also had a JCB Loadall and JCB Front Loader, of course on the weekends and in the evenings I used to walk over there and check them out, JCB is tops in design in my mind. When the 8455 came out in 2003 and I saw first images of it, I thought this looks an awful lot like the JCB model. Either way, I would have bought the 8455, it is damn hard to get all the hoses just right in such a tight place, and getting them on those t-pieces (that large gray 'web' is esp hard with the 2L and 3L hoses you cut and have to get on all those t-pieces comes to mind), but the model was brilliant when it was finished. Like many have said, an air tank would have definitely benefited, but after a while it makes a great shelfpiece too. I have 2 assembled, and 1 new in sealed box and I almost don't want to break the seal.

As far as genericness, I guess that can be said, but I think the majority of other manufacturers of backhoe/loaders don't have as good a design as even a favorite Lego toy has.

Oh yeah, that is a nice tilting mechanism. I have never seen anything like the knuckle boom on Alasdair's pic. Very interesting, as I actually building an MOC medium-large size backhoe/loader right now that will be motorized with all mini-LA's. I have most of the booming done, but I might have to see if I can somehow incorporate that knuckle boom, but not sure if it can be accomplished on a non-tracked vehicle, my design is wheeled.

I think in looks, the 8069 isn't a bad choice either, just too bad it can't be motorized.

That is one sweet excavator. After buying the 42030, I really like the extra black on the Volvo's, rather than almost a total yellow machine like the 8265 Loader or 8043 Excavator (which has an unrealistic bucket in terms of size, I found a link here to a designer's re-created 3rd boom with the medium size bucket, much better looking that way). But, it would be really cool if TLG produced a large scale Volvo excavator to go with the 42030. Unlikely since they have produced so many excavators since 2008, but still...

Maybe the Volvo excavator as next summer's flagship?? Ha ha, pipe dreams...