Sign in to follow this  
snowvictim

High Speed Train

Yes? No? I'm planning on making the carriages double 24 plates as they're way too short now. But this is the initial concept. I'm more of a Cargo fan though, so I'm not sure if this will be converted into a genuine brick build. But I think it looks nice, maybe I could use some colour rework. My original intention was to have the windows as the 2x2 Transblack Panels, but LDD does not have Transblack as a colour (lol...). Might also change the undercarriage to a dark grey, haven't decided yet. I didn't do the interior since, as I've mentioned, I'll be extending the cars so there's no point at this moment. Tell me what you think. :)

Zrzut_ekranu_2014_10_18_o_21_25_58.png

Zrzut_ekranu_2014_10_18_o_21_26_10.png

Zrzut_ekranu_2014_10_18_o_21_26_29.png

Zrzut_ekranu_2014_10_18_o_21_27_07.png

Zrzut_ekranu_2014_10_18_o_21_26_53.png

Long Carriage Version:

Zrzut_ekranu_2014_10_18_o_23_13_44.png

Zrzut_ekranu_2014_10_18_o_23_14_00.png

I think it looks much better, although the cars are 50 studs long. :cry_sad:

Edited by snowvictim

I like the design of this. But can I suggest two things?

1. Make the cars something between the short and the long one

2. Make the boggies between the cars the same way as on the Horizon Express, where two cars share the same boggie.

I like the design of this. But can I suggest two things?

1. Make the cars something between the short and the long one

2. Make the boggies between the cars the same way as on the Horizon Express, where two cars share the same boggie.

Yeah, I was thinking that they might look very weird on curves. I'll probably take a 28 train plate and extend it with a 6x4 or 6x6 plate on each side. As for the bogies, I wanted to have a 3 car train. If I were to do shared bogies I'd have to do 4 cars, which I really want to avoid. Thanks for the feeback though. :)

What's commonly referred to as Trans-Black is actually Trans-Brown. It's a common misconception, I know.

As for the cars themselves, I'd say keep passenger cars under 36 studs max length. Anything over 40 doesn't look all that nice personally. Also instead of having the carriages go from 6 to 8 studs wide from the base why not use an 8-wide base?

Looks good, but may I ask what the nose is? It looks too smooth to be brick-built.

Front piece of the Lego City airplane. :)

As for the bogies, I wanted to have a 3 car train. If I were to do shared bogies I'd have to do 4 cars, which I really want to avoid.

I can't see the problem there.... If you have a 3 car train you have 2 shared boggies (if the shared boggies is only between the passenger cars and not the front and rear locomotive), with 4 cars you have 3 shared boggies. You could even have a 2 car train and just have one shared boggie between them...

Dont look at the dual Horizon Express with no modification, many people with a dual setup of HE remakes the middle boggies to one shared boggie.

Nice, I wish it was my idea. I think you should try for 8-wide bases though. It'll give you far more room for interior detail.

Else I'll steal your design and try it myself. Within the next ten years or so...

The reasons why I didn't use 8-wide bases:

a) Theoretically (and practically, in my opinion) less work to do.

b) I have 7 red 6x28 plates at home so I don't need to order the additional parts. But the plane nose part in red does not exist, therefore I might have to do some recolouring of the train.

c) I wanted to get a cylindrical shape of the car. If I use a 6-wide base and then the inverted slopes I receive this effect.

Nice to see another train using the airplane nose pieces. Your design looks like a EMU type train. Some of them like the FLiRT have shared bogies on the entire train. It might not be bad to test your planned car length to get around your curves first.

Front piece of the Lego City airplane. :)

Can you get that in red?

It looks good, but the only thing I'd say is that the windows look too small for a high speed train. They need to be wider, like the Horizon Express.

Can you get that in red?

It looks good, but the only thing I'd say is that the windows look too small for a high speed train. They need to be wider, like the Horizon Express.

Unfortunately not, I will either have to change the colour scheme of the train (for example to green) or do the recolour myself.

My thoughts exactly on the windows, I'll be reworking those tonight.

Well, good usage of airplane nose, but I think this train is to tall and will derail in curves at higher speeds. I suggest that the lower part of the airplane nose should be in the same level like the boogies, and removing the long wedge slopes.

Well, good usage of airplane nose, but I think this train is to tall and will derail in curves at higher speeds. I suggest that the lower part of the airplane nose should be in the same level like the boogies, and removing the long wedge slopes.

Nah, should be fine. Derailment isn't that much a height issue as it is a center of mass issue. In the case of this train, as the top is made from single 6x8 Curved elements that weigh close to nothing, the center of mass should be low enough not to cause derailments. I can always lower it even more by attaching more bricks to the car base. :wink:

snowvictim,

I have seen several attempts to do this very thing before. They showed up after the release of the first new 8-wide body planes. A quick search lead me to them and another one as well. The one thing to note with your design is that is rides high. It also has the characteristic feel of English rolling stock in how it narrows down at the truck|bogie level for tighter clearances.

Here is a link to an older MOC that is just what you are proposing to do. If you scroll down further, someone posted an image of one that sits lower to the ground. http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3898

Another example, scroll down to find it as it is the white train, uses the top curved pieces only. It was an attempt at creating a second generation JR 100 Series Shinkansen: http://www.moc-pages.com/moc.php/319974

3D LEGO

I like the color! Cars could be just a bit shorter, but 50 studs is not bad. If you need some comparison, here is my version of high speed train https://flic.kr/s/aHskop7uCc. I'd be more than glad to share my experience.

Cheers.

[edit] I just noticed it's >1yo topic ... pretty dead I guess :)

Edited by igordost

b) I have 7 red 6x28 plates at home so I don't need to order the additional parts. But the plane nose part in red does not exist, therefore I might have to do some recolouring of the train.

Brick-build the transition from airplane nose color to red in the front of the first passenger car.