4 hours ago, LvdH said:

That part was available when I first looked. Then the site crashed (well done LEGO), and they were out of stock. :grin: 

Better luck next time I guess.

Weird! I couldn't even see it as showing up as out of stock when I checked earlier, but it's there now (but still out of stock)

23 minutes ago, RiGi said:

Weird! I couldn't even see it as showing up as out of stock when I checked earlier, but it's there now (but still out of stock)

QSoMoQ.md.png

Anyone hovering new parts, these element IDs will make it easier to search on lego.com.

QS74qJ.md.png

Tip: if you want to search sites for other countries, append lego.com as follows: lego.com/en-us for the US site, lego.com/en-gb for the UK site etc. While you can't order across geos you can check PAB availability. What I've been seeing is that new parts release on Europe sites a few days prior to the US site. (mileage may vary)

I have an absolute policy against using non-Lego gears in my models because they never work as well or have the same quality control as Lego brand. However, I am also impatient and have OCD...ergo...I picked up some knock offs to mess around with and see if I could lock them. 

Here are some of the less offensive of my attempts:

#1 with the 24T gears has minimal friction and does way better than the 28T red diff in terms of friction. All are are bulky (obviously)

I hope someone comes up with something soon as I am about to do some weird things with a heat gun and crazy glue. (Yes, I am an apostate)

QSBeRf.md.jpg

The following could come down to manufacturing problems with the knock offs. In addition to friction, the 28T red diff had elegant proportions that could be integrated into other things like transmissions. I can't help but assume these Daytona gears are a one trick pony.

QSnqpj.md.png

QSnCTx.md.png

QSnG4t.md.png

Edited by shroomzofdoom

On 10/5/2022 at 7:59 PM, howitzer said:

Would be interesting to know the numbers excluding black 2L blue 3L friction pins as those are the most common Technic parts by a wide margin.

These 19 part types make up 50% of the total parts needed to display all Technic sets between 2009 and now: :

top1-8%20parts.png

• 70 part types make up 80%
  • 135 part types make up 90%
  • 219 part types make up 95%
  • 481 part types make up 99%
  • 982 part types make up 100%

If we exclude the top-4 (Technic Pins) we get the following figures for Technic sets between 2009 and now:

• parts required to display them all 112499 (100%)
  • parts required to build one set at a time 19838 (18%)
  • parts required to build one at a time (ignoring color) 8820 (8%)

These percentages are still relatively close to the numbers with the pins included. 

Edited by GerritvdG

800x555.jpg

Just had the pleasure of re-building Anto's gearbox using spur gears only. Very satisfying! That thing is smooth AF now! Even in 1st gear it spins on if you give the input a good twist... :pir-grin:

24 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Wonder if we'll ever see a frictionless version of this part?

6015356.jpg

Before TLG make frictionless version, I want they make this more stronger. This pin and 2axle-1pin pin is very weaker than other pin.

Edited by msk6003

On 10/12/2022 at 11:53 AM, astyanax said:

Just had the pleasure of re-building Anto's gearbox using spur gears only. Very satisfying! That thing is smooth AF now! Even in 1st gear it spins on if you give the input a good twist... :pir-grin:

How did you get all those green gears? Bricklink? Lego?  4 rescue choppers?!?

7 minutes ago, shroomzofdoom said:

How did you get all those green gears? Bricklink? Lego?  4 rescue choppers?!?

The former. They started appearing recently. But probably it's wiser -- cost-wise -- to have a few more weeks (?!) of patience till PaB offers them.... :shrug_oh_well:

On 10/12/2022 at 12:39 PM, msk6003 said:

Before TLG make frictionless version, I want they make this more stronger. This pin and 2axle-1pin pin is very weaker than other pin.

All they need to do is make it harder like the black pins. (like the same molding process.)

New Technic parts have appeared on Pick-a-Brick. All the new panels from the Ferrari Daytona SP3 are in stock. Also its yellow diff gears, but these are surprisingly expensive...

Disclaimer: mileage may vary per country...

12 minutes ago, astyanax said:

New Technic parts have appeared on Pick-a-Brick. All the new panels from the Ferrari Daytona SP3 are in stock. Also its yellow diff gears, but these are surprisingly expensive...

Well, it only took 4 and half months. Time to order some parts :laugh:
3x19 frames are also back.

Edited by LvdH

Processing time seems to have improved as well. May latest order from 22 Sep arrived 13 Oct, exactly 3 weeks later. This was 'standard' parts only, with slowest shipping method.

Another plus: at CHF 2.80, PaB shipping costs are still very low compared to almost all BrickLink shops, even domestic Swiss ones. The very cheapest shipping I get from BL shops in Poland and Portugal, somehow... :shrug_oh_well:

10 hours ago, astyanax said:

Thanks for the heads up, I put an order in this morning! First time since the new system... will see how long it takes to arrive to Aus. I got a set of yellow diffs to try out on an RC build, still much cheaper than trying to get them from bricklink... I got some 3x19 frames and a bunch of the newer black parts from the Ferrari/Mclaren F1 cars as well. 

13 hours ago, astyanax said:

At last available for Poland! Order already done.

640x342.jpg

Edited by keymaker

I just read about the upcoming 10317 Land Rover Classic Defender as a Creator Expert model for 2023. It is rumoured that it has 2336 pieces, so about the same as the ECTO 1. But considering it's size and overall shape, my guess is, that it has to have bigger tires and not the rather small 49.5 x 20 of the ECTO 1.

As the 62.4 are retired (no pun intended), I really hope Lego will go with the big 68.7 from the Batmobil, which would make the Defender look really mean.

Or are there other possibilities I didn't had in mind?

20 hours ago, astyanax said:

costs are still very low compared to almost all BrickLink shops

I agree. I've ordered almost $500 USD of parts over the past month and compared prices to bricklink and brickowl as I did. The price difference is negligible. In many cases, the best price I could find was from lego.com. The new cardan joints are far cheaper on lego and you get VIP points. 

24 minutes ago, astyanax said:

In "today I learned":

This spring part is new this year and may be of interest to some.

https://rebrickable.com/parts/77834/brick-special-2-x-4-x-5-with-spring/

Huh, interesting! The pinholes would make it easy to use as a shock absorber, if the stiffness lined up, and if it weren't so big! It'd be interesting to see it modded into something like the old 8865 Test Car, just because it would fit the studded aesthetic nicely. The color wouldn't work well, though.

I was finally able to lock the Daytona differential in a way that suited my use case. Warning: a drill and krazy glue were involved.

1 hour ago, astyanax said:

In "today I learned":

This spring part is new this year and may be of interest to some.

https://rebrickable.com/parts/77834/brick-special-2-x-4-x-5-with-spring/

May be good for a return on a reciprocating or stepper mechanism!

Edited by shroomzofdoom

If anyone sees the V2 1x5 pneumatic cylinder in the PAB, give me a ping. I need 20+ of them and aint gonna pay 20€ each. They're in the material handler so should be coming cheaper, as the 1x11 from the tow truck already are for like 8€ or 11€ (before 50€ at BL). Hope they will be like 4-6€, still need a valve each aswell at 3€.

Anyone happen to know how much friction these part combos have. I wanna build a flight stand and have a pivot joint to pose it.  (The plane is the size of the Adventurers Bi Wing Baron)

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=92911#T=C

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=92910#T=C&C=86

And

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=44359#T=C

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=44358#T=C