thun712

MOC: Rosenbauer Panther

So I guess I'll finally post one of my MOCs after lurking the site long enough. I have made a couple of airport tenders ever since LEGO released that little one years ago, but was never satisfied with them. I have, for the longest time wanted to make a Rosenbauer Panther because that is probably the most amazing Firetruck, ever. I kinda liked that LEGO finally gave us a better airport tender this last vehicle release, but I haven't bought one and found it still lacking. I finally, finally, put one together and I got something I both hate and love. My biggest drive when making models is playability. I want to make something great, but still be minifigure scale and have playability like a released set. This MOC has that, but I could not get it small enough for "proper" minifig scale.

EDIT: Album View Real Truck

th_Panther_002_zpsc98befb6.jpgth_Panther_001_zpsab31e83d.jpgth_Panther_005_zps1582f9f7.jpg

This is also my first ever 8-stud wide MOC. I tried designing a 6-stud one, but I could not get enough detail in there. It felt wrong for such a beefy truck, plus the latest LEGO is 8-wide, so meh. This a rear shot:

th_Panther_004_zps83ee0b3d.jpg

The big yellow slope piece doesn't really belong there, but I have absolutely nowhere else to use that piece (because of the sticker) so it's just there:

th_Panther_003_zps2b0bf698.jpg

The cabin doors open but in reverse:

th_Panther_006_zpsd9095042.jpg

There is equipment storage on both sides and space for more behind the crew. There is also an auxiliary hose that I forgot to get a good shot of. Not all space is being used because most of my equipment is in my SAR Firetruck so I have to get more for this one. This is still a WIP, I guess:

th_Panther_007_zps826749d7.jpgth_Panther_008_zpsb23f8f01.jpgth_Panther_009_zps4c08a0f7.jpg

The entire cabin windscreen lifts for easy access to the crew and equipment space behind. Just in case, it also removes entirely.

th_Panther_010_zps66cab476.jpgth_Panther_011_zps621f7c2d.jpg

Anyway. There are lots of awesome builders in the site, so if anyone has some tips to improve it or fix it, let me know. When I build I tend to just stick pieces together with little to no planning (Except for my other Firetruck chasis which I prototyped in LDD First). This tends to leave my models really messy, or with poor piece placing at the end. I'll come back and revise this truck so feedback is welcome. There are some pieces that I didn't have in the right color so those will get update too.

~Cheers

Edited by thun712

Very nice ARFF. There aren't that many Rosenbauer Panthers at this scale, and you've done a great job. Especially the cabin is nicely done - not so easy to capture the characteristic shape. I also love the amount of details you've put into this. In my opinion 8w is exactly the right width for an oversized vehicle like this. Looking forward to more vehicles from you! :thumbup: And welcome to EB, of course.

Btw. my suggestion would be to get a Flickr account to upload your photos. You'll get much more attention from the Lego community than with Photobucket.