Sign in to follow this  
Tarby99

Modifying 7939 Cargo Train - Suggestions Needed

Hello

So I took the plunge on the LEGO 7939 Cargo Train. I wanted to see how I could make my current railway set up better.

I am very suprised by this package. I think I was only really interested in the PF part of it but after a couple of pleasant theroputic hours assembling the set I am very impressed! If anyone wants to start their Lego Train journey and has no nostalgic attachments to the 12v system then this is the set to do it!

It's helped me understand what I can now do to subtly improve my 12v system keeping some costs down buying current products.

The 9v motor/power package has some serious grunt in it with fully charged batteries! Infact its the wheel slip (that old chesnut) and the magnets decoupling that stop the train from hurtling off with 5+ wagons or coaches attached!

Are their any modifications for the 7939 Loco? Any lights etc?

Thanks

Tarbs

I think you mean PF train, in general RC trains are the white 7897 ICE train and the green 7898 green cargo train. They have the black/yellow RC controls. The PF RC trains are generally referred to as PF Trains. Well, I like the 12V system, but I think these sets suit me better.

About the lights: here is a guy that did it:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=1kqmQkBFSNE

And in fact here is a tutorial at EB:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41847&st=30&p=738640entry738640

Hello

Are their any modifications for the 7939 Loco? Any lights etc?

Thanks

Tarbs

8870 is the Lego light set that fits nicely into the 7939 loco. Here's mine, lit up:

4782435420_fe346c2e16_z.jpg

You'll see I've also changed the handrails and boosted the IR receiver by a full brick, changing the 'vents' at the sides to suit.

Tarby - I've changed the title of this post to make it a little more useful for our members. Good luck with your modifications.

Where did you find the orange windscreen parts? I've done the red and black versions but would love an orange one.

The pieces come from the old <insert that tiresome argument> sets

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=45406pb02

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=30619

This allows Red, Yellow, White, Orange. The trick is that the junior elements have a rearward slope which means you cant place them directly in line with a 6 wide body. Hence I hid this with some recessed doors which make it look grand. I have to say the orange and blue is really cool - and a reminder of the Dutch liveries. I should perhaps build a fleet of them...

Ah, thanks. I didn't think to look under 'windscreen, decorated'. But no Bricklink shop in the EU has two. :thumbdown:

I'd suggest you add a second pantograph and locate those directly above the bogies. As a pantograph has to be centered above the rails to keep contact with the overhead wires.

I also recommend to add a second motor for better traction and pulling power.

2011-04-05%25252008.49.28.jpg

Unrelated note, if any engines are coupled together and work in tandem, the front loco has the front pantograph risen (normaly the back one is up). A pantograph's shoe has a small layer of coal to collect the electricity of the overhead wires, and small pieces of it will break loose and may embed themselves in any windshields following after it.

Helps to keep your Lego trains operating realistically.