Sign in to follow this  
Lego Otaku

missing a classic space minifig?

I was looking through old Lego instruction manuals when I noticed a few of the classic space sets from early 1980's all had light gray air tanks. I checked BL, there are light gray helmet in the same style as classic space minifigs. I could assemble a full gray minifig except there is no gray torso with the logo.

Was a gray version ever planned? If not, then why have the air tank and helmet in that color?

Me thinks it's time to dig through my bin of spare minifigs and buy missing parts on BL, then make classic logo water slides. :laugh:

Maybe sell one on eBay :devil:

I think the light gray helmets are from early Castle sets, not Space sets. The gray airtanks in those Space sets also seem to be used as detail elements on vehicles rather than actual airtanks, but I can't tell for sure.

People have made custom classic Space minifigs in various other colors though. Here is one example.

I think the light gray helmets are from early Castle sets, not Space sets. The gray airtanks in those Space sets also seem to be used as detail elements on vehicles rather than actual airtanks, but I can't tell for sure.

People have made custom classic Space minifigs in various other colors though. is one example.

As a classic space "expert" I can tell you this is pretty much correct. The air tanks were used often on the front of classic space vehicles and the light grey helmet is from castle sets from a long time ago and will cost you a fortune to buy. However, the new style helmet is available in light grey at a more affordable price.

I customed a bunch of classic space figs in a variety of colours including light and dark grey, dark purple, medium blue and green.

classic_space_figs.jpg

Edited by hewman

As a classic space "expert" I can tell you this is pretty much correct. The air tanks were used often on the front of classic space vehicles and the light grey helmet is from castle sets from a long time ago and will cost you a fortune to buy. However, the new style helmet is available in light grey at a more affordable price.

I customed a bunch of classic space figs in a variety of colours including light and dark grey, dark purple, medium blue and green.

classic_space_figs.jpg

Nice!!

The newer style helmet with visor support isn't quite the same. Still, when one consider Lego did have all the parts in early 1980's to make light gray space minifig, one had to wonder why they didn't offer them at all.

Nice!!

The newer style helmet with visor support isn't quite the same. Still, when one consider Lego did have all the parts in early 1980's to make light gray space minifig, one had to wonder why they didn't offer them at all.

My guess would be a gray minifigure wouldn't jump out of the box as far as bright coloured Spacemen would. :laugh: A kid would most likely be looking for a bright yellow or red spaceman than the more realistic gray one.

A gray spaceman would be invisible in all the gray of the early Classic Space sets! :laugh:

I would personally pay good money for a green spaceman like yours, hewman! :thumbup:

There's never been an 'official' grey space minifig to my knowledge.

"The gray airtanks in those Space sets also seem to be used as detail elements on vehicles rather than actual airtanks, but I can't tell for sure."

You're absoutely right - I had a couple such sets as a kid, e.g. :

0886-1.jpg

Cheers,

Dr D.