Sign in to follow this  
JRBricks

Next World Buildings Set Ideas

Not sure if this has been covered yet - I searched the forums and couldn't find anything, so I apologize if this has been brought up. Very interesting article and interview with Andy Lown, head of Sydney Opera House commercial partnerships. Scroll down to the interview...

https://amodularlife.wordpress.com/2010/07/26/new-sydney-opera-house-lego-set/

"For example Lego who we are now working with to create a Sydney Opera House set. They’ve recently completed the Taj Mahal, which I believe is a 6000-piece Lego set, and they believe this could be bigger."

How great would this set be!

Hi JRBricks, that's my blog. :laugh:

I did create a post in "LEGO General Discussion & News" to see if this could be confirmed:

Sydney Opera House Large Scale Lego Set

Unfortunately no news back then... not sure if any new info since.

Hey! Great blog by the way! :sweet: Sorry for the double-post - I sure hope this set becomes a reality. Keep up the great work and please let me (us) know if you get more info about this.

Hi, after a lot of struggle within myself to decide between purchasing the Tower Bridge or the Taj Mahal sets I got the idea for this topic. The current line of World Buildings just includes three sets: Eiffel Tower, Taj Mahal and the upcoming Tower Bridge (Sorry, I don't count the Statue of Liberty as one of them because it is way too old but also belonged to the line of "Sculptures" :sceptic: ). I found this theme extremely interesting because of the great detail the designers seem to put into the models and the fact that they make great display pieces :cry_happy: . There are rumors that the next set in the line will be the Sydney Opera Building which could an amazing next entry in the series but the real question is: Which do you think will be the next sets designed for the theme?

Personally, I would LOVE a Saint Basil's Cathedral better know as the Cathedral at the Red Square in Moscow :wub: . This could easily make the best entry in the theme so far by miles. Just imagine all those exotic colors in one really big set. The whole structure is really interesting by itself and in my opinion one of the best building the TLG can turn into a set. I know the shape is difficult to get but if the team follows the building techniques they used with the Taj Mahal I think they can really pull it off. The set could be in the 5000+ range of pieces and the color selection can make it a must-have for any MOCer or AFOL.

Without any knowledge of the rumors and just reading the topic title, the first one that popped out of my mind is the Sydney Opera House. I think it is one of the most iconic structures in the world, together in the league of the Eiffel Tower, Taj Mahal, and the Tower Bridge. Another one that crosses my mind is the Pyramids of Egypt (Giza), but that would be a very boring and redundant build. In terms of the buildings of the Old World, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon and the Colloseum are also great ideas.

There is allready a discussion going on this very topic over here:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=43048,

and the Saint Basil's Cathedral has been mentioned there aswell. Would be a nice challenge for TLG to design it as an affordable set.

Thanks for posting the link Jan but I think this topic is focused in the whole "World Buildings" theme instead of the "Architecture" one :classic: . This line has just three sets so far in my opinion as I don't really count the "Architecture" line as in the same league of Tower Bridge and Eiffel Tower :tongue: .

Another idea I came up with last night was a medium sized set of Christ the Redeemer. This statue can be made with around 1500+ pieces in my opinion so they could fit it in the $99.99 price range. A little base to represent the hill where it is located would be nice too and also could add some color to an otherwise plain grey statue. I really like the idea of smaller "World Buildings" sets even though this could sound a bit wishful considering it can break some kind of policy the TLC could have against producing religious buildings :cry_sad:.

Edited by darkrebellion

I don't really count the "Architecture" line as in the same league of Tower Bridge and Eiffel Tower.

Well, I see your point, but I think with the addition the House of Falling water in the architecture series, things are coming together.

The architecture range doesn't have a uniform scale for the sets, and leaves room for models in all different scales.

At first I thought that with the architecture series they wanted to show buildings of great importance for architectural developement worldwide (or at least all of the states). But with the addition of the spaceneedle and the whitehouse in the series this idea is no longer valid. The whitehouse is an Landmark and an icon, but architectural totaly uninteresting, nothing is really achieved or developed with the build of it. The space needle is more of an achievement, as it it high and large but also more an icon and a landmark. The Eiffel tower perfectly fit the architectural range, as well as the towerbridge and Taj Mahal I think.

In general it would be nice if they merge the two series, as they have one thing in common. They are build after real buildings, and within the set limits of size and parts they all want to get as close to the real thing as possible.

Jan

A lot of possible buildings were suggested here: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42800

Interestingly, the Tower Bridge was suggested time and again in that thread, and it turned out to be the next World Icon building in the pipeline! I'm really curious as to what the next will be. Probably not a religious building though.