Sign in to follow this  
Scott

Help with power functions.

I was going to order the 9396 helicopter today fron Shop at home because of the triple vip points, but wanted to order some more motors the ir reciever and a remote so we could plat with some remote functions. The boys also have a Unimog to put together this christmas so some of the parts will be used on it also. So what size motors should I buy, how many, and which remote is the best? On the Unimog we probably just want drive functions and steering. On the helicopter probably just spin the rotors and maybe operate the winch.

Thanks

Scott

Edited by Scott

Consider getting the 4x4 crawler instead. It comes with remote, receiver, 2 L-motors and a servo motor, everything you need to drive things around. It's not a helicopter but it's everything else you want!

If you do want a helicopter, I'd recommend the same PF bits that are in the crawler set.

For the Unimog you should probably get an IR receiver, a remote (not the speed remote), and an XL motor. You can use the XL motor for drive and the m-motor (from the compressor, which you probably won't be able to keep if you make it RC), and you can switch the motors out for the helicopter, XL geared up for the props and m-motor for the winch. Or are you planning on using both at the same time? If you want to make both RC, it would be expensive, but you would want, for the unimog: One XL motor, one receiver, one regular remote, and for the helicopter, you would probably want: 2 m-motors, one IR receiver, one AA battery box, and one speed control remote (if you want to control the speed of rotors and winch, if you don't you can opt out for a regular remote). But that ends up being 84 USD. :wacko: I guess that isn't that bad though, and you won't have to pay for shipping.

I dont want the crawler since we bought the unimog. I dont want to rc both at the same time. So just one xl motor and I will buy one more med motor because they are pretty cheap. So the speed control remote varies the speed of the motors? What remote is better? Its only six dollar difference. Also we have android tablets, should we use those as remotes?

Thanks

Scott

I think if you can use an android tablet, that would be great and save you money. I think the regular remote would be better if you do end up buying one, it saves you money and the speed control wouldn't be that great for RC'ing the unimog anyway.

I dont want the crawler since we bought the unimog. I dont want to rc both at the same time. So just one xl motor and I will buy one more med motor because they are pretty cheap. So the speed control remote varies the speed of the motors? What remote is better? Its only six dollar difference. Also we have android tablets, should we use those as remotes?

Thanks

Scott

Touch screens for remote control are terrible, but that's mostly personal opinion ;)

Which remotes depends mostly on preferences. Do you want to control the things with dials, or with sticks that return to center?

If you go with the dials (which include speed control), I highly recommend using a servo motor for steering. Precise control is difficult with the dials because they respond rather slowly. If you go with sticks, you can get away with using a (cheaper) regular motor for that.

I can also recommend a servo for steering. I've used one in a prototype model for the first time today and it is good fun.

H

As long as it's connected correctly you can use it with the power functions remote (as used in the crawler) and I would expect it to work with everything else.

H

the servo can be used with all battery boxes, two versions of receivers and with the PF switch.and for faster and smaller vehicles it is the best way to go. but for trial vehicles i am more fan of medium/large motors. then you can steer and let the wheels stand in one direction without them turning automatically back to center. and you can steer half way instead of full left or right. i know that when you use the speed remote you can also do that but i hate those remotes. greetings Johnny