I got this idea few days ago while building the monster.

I simply made a FWD car, with one motor to power one wheel. The usually negative large pivot point of lego steering wheels was an advantage here, as it allows the wheels to self-steer when they are powered.

In order for the car to also drive normally forward i used a rubber brick.

This idea allows had advantates:

Simpler, more maneuverable models

No need for dead weight like steering motor

Not so much skid steering as by regular skid steering.

Disadvantages:

Reverse steering is tricky

Very sensitive to bumps - bump steer

Needs FWD or AWD? (not tested)

Edited by Zblj

Unique and original idea! I agree that while not for large cars, this would be amazing with small cars and allow for even smaller driven and suspended models.

There is an American made vehicle that uses 4-wheel steering in both conventional and crab steering modes. It's actually a truck: The Chevrolet Silverado made by General Motors. What is neat is that at low vehicle speed, the steering is conventional (front and rear tires turn into opposite directions, for minimum turning radius). Crab mode is used at high speed on highway, and the vehicle literally 'translates' to the left or right, with all tires remaining parallel to each other. It was a nice piece of engineering, but because of the speed dependency, deemed not absolutely reliable. I have not kept up, but I recall reading that such feature (was an option) is not available anymore.

There is an American made vehicle that uses 4-wheel steering in both conventional and crab steering modes. It's actually a truck: The Chevrolet Silverado made by General Motors. What is neat is that at low vehicle speed, the steering is conventional (front and rear tires turn into opposite directions, for minimum turning radius). Crab mode is used at high speed on highway, and the vehicle literally 'translates' to the left or right, with all tires remaining parallel to each other. It was a nice piece of engineering, but because of the speed dependency, deemed not absolutely reliable. I have not kept up, but I recall reading that such feature (was an option) is not available anymore.

The early 90's Honda Prelude Si was available with 4WS as an option - it also was 'dual mode' like that. The new 2014 Porsche 911 has it as well.