Sign in to follow this  
Aanchir

MOC: Hero Factory Tablescraps

In addition to Kit Martello, I've built a number of smaller Hero Factory MOCs over the past several months. I figure it's about time I shared some of them. None are quite as impressive or well-refined as Kit, but I chose to photograph these because they use some clever techniques and I'm quite proud of them. The first two MOCs are digital, the rest made with physical bricks.

Alternate views of most of the MOCs in this topic can be viewed in the Flickr gallery. All images below link to larger versions.

Brimstone

8503262207_684ab28ddd_m.jpg 8504370188_646e8aca7b_m.jpg 8504372834_6216d111b0_m.jpg 8503261997_d880dc8e09_m.jpg

I built Brimstone with LEGO Digital Designer last semester as an experiment in certain armor combinations, particularly the Super Heroes chest piece and the 1.0 Hero Factory torso beam. She is supposed to be female, although that may not be apparent due to her generic mask and wide shoulders. All the parts are in colors that they are available for purchase in, though I've had some fun experimenting with alternate color palettes and layering.

Hero Factory Canine Buddy

8503171003_ba0872c70b_m.jpg 8504279226_c0bb21fbde_m.jpg 8504279136_b6fb2da6df_m.jpg

This was another digital experiment I started last semester, this time in creating a "police dog" companion to scale with a small or medium hero figure. He uses 25 pieces and is the sort of figure I'd love to see as a set at a "Matoran-like" size and price point, if that were to be reintroduced. In fact, even throwing him in with a small Hero set and pushing the set up to a price point of $12.99 wouldn't bother me.

Natalie Breez

8504186838_072242a504_n.jpg 8503079157_d93eb63aa4_n.jpg 8504185700_2189db1110_n.jpg

After building the MOC that would become Kit Martello, I wanted to attempt a smaller, more basic figure. The head doesn't suit this helmet or the MOC's color scheme, but several of my Glatorian heads broke as I was packing my sets up for storage last semester and as such I have been trying to use the new, less fragile head piece whenever possible.

Cyril Starlight

8504132502_fc518c490c_m.jpg 8504132462_77cd51ff5a_m.jpg 8504132306_e172aa797e_m.jpg

Having built an couple decent female MOCs, I wanted to experiment with some of the parts and techniques that were ill-suited to female characters, such as Drilldozer's torso/shoulder shell or the two 2.0 torso shells used back-to-back. Cyril was the result. His shield technically uses illegal connections, since the Technic angle connectors do not add up to 360ยบ and thus are in compression. Still, I felt it fit together nicely.

Poison Dart

8504233674_f5a7d742d5_n.jpg 8504233506_5eda7308ab_n.jpg 8503125587_8b96d0a723_n.jpg 8504233354_c16fb3de06_n.jpg

The torso design I used for Poison Dart is actually one I came up with last semester but didn't end up posting at that time. XT4's 5x6 torso beam is attached to a more basic 7x9 torso beam, creating an assortment of connection points. What I love best about this torso design is that it allows both the upper body and the lower body to be well-armored. I figured Poison Dart's waspish figure was best-suited to a villain rather than a hero or civilian, and I chose to use Toxic Reapa's head as it was ambiguously-gendered but unambiguously villainous (also, I was out of 2013 head pieces and wanted to continue avoiding Glatorian heads).

Bogwaddle

8504160768_bc7f715c0f_m.jpg 8503055109_096c050771_m.jpg 8503054649_5f6e2a9e53_m.jpg 8503054281_88d7102101_m.jpg

Finally we come to the 41-piece Bogwaddle, one of my favorite tablescraps from this semester. He started out with me simply wanting to use some of the Earth Green parts from Ogrum, but as soon as I saw how goofy and playful Ogrum's mask looked when flipped upside-down, I knew I wanted it to be the basis of my MOC. What makes Bogwaddle so appealing to me is not only his small size but also his articulation. His waist is articulated (though you can't see it very well in these pictures) so it can rock side-to-side, and his shoulders can swing back and forth. This, coupled with his light and well-distributed weight, makes it very easy and fun to put him in amusing poses.

Comments, criticisms, and suggestions are all welcome! Hope there's something in this topic you like!

That dog is genius, and Bogwaddle is adorable - great use of the Ogrum faceplate! It's also neat to see the 1.0 Torso Bone making an appearance.

The dog is a design I'm probably going to experiment with at some time, the shield design is the perfect use for those pieces and the other three are just, well, the generic awesomeness you come to expect from MOCs on Eurobricks after a while :laugh:.

I think he means that since they aren't as impressive as actual kits(From his post. I am not making fun of them), they are called Tablescraps. I like the name actually.

I think it's mainly because they're slightly smaller than "normal" MOCs.

I think he means that since they aren't as impressive as actual kits(From his post. I am not making fun of them), they are called Tablescraps. I like the name actually.

They name really doesn't fit. They look too good to be called "tablescraps"

Yeah, "tablescrap" just seems to be the term I usually see on sites like Flickr for small, quick, MOCs that are meant more to illustrate a concept than to stand as fully-developed creations of their own (Click for examples). While I'm quite happy with how a lot of these MOCs turned out, they're not particularly ambitious in their scope, and pretty much all of them could be improved significantly with further experimentation. Most of these were just assembled in short building breaks meant to take my mind off the pressures of schoolwork.

I'm glad to see many people seem to like these concepts. I hope to continue experimenting with some of these concepts, hopefully to the extent that I can create something I'd consider a finished, well-developed MOC. But I'd rather sell myself short and call these tablescraps than treat each of these as a finished MOC and set a low standard for myself and my capacity as a Hero Factory MOCist.

Edited by Aanchir