Sign in to follow this  
woody64

3rd Mold - Enlarging my Austrian army

Today the 3rd trial arrived for my new french shako design.

It was done by a different printing service where prices beyond 2.50 EUR can be reached per piece.

The first impression can be seen in this picture:

img_3667.jpg

Unfortunately there was a design or printing failure and the top of the hat wasn't closed. I'm clarifying that during the next days with the company. In the meantime I closed that with fimo to get some pictures done. But the principle results can be seen ...

Here is a more detailed picture:

img_3666.jpg

In principle the quality is good (I also used a new material: white and flexible, which is cheap but robust)

The preview of this item can be found here:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/8103/french_shako.html

After having solved the problems I will gave the dragoon helmet a try:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/8324/austri...ier_helmet.html

Austrian Hussars:

hussars.jpg

Andreas

Edited by woody64

Great job woody64! Hey with the website you had created those hats, can you actually ask them to replicate the design and create it for you?

Great job woody64! Hey with the website you had created those hats, can you actually ask them to replicate the design and create it for you?

I don't know if I have understood your question correctly, but yes the designs can be reprinted at any time by the company.

First I have to solve one design problem (the hole at the top of the hat) but afterwards everyone can order this item ...

andreas

Very interesting... a promising project indeed. :thumbup:

Today the corrected design has arrived and I think it's the first final version for me:

img_3681.jpg

I've opened the shako to the public now.

3d Printer Link

Drawbacks so far:

- pressure needed for putting the hat on the minifig head is maybe a little to strong ...

Also the first trial of the dragoon is available:

img_369220.jpg

In parallel I did another print with another company. Unfortunately these prints are of less granularity. Two of them are worth viewing, the Ulan and the hussar.

img_3690.jpg

I will takeover these two to the other company as soon as possible.

Here's a group picture with all the new items:

img_3686.jpg

More maybe visible at http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=352162 when public ...

Since Lego delivers new pirates with the british shako design now both parties and a lot of other armies are now buildable. Together with the items stored in the decal library everyone can now build it's favorite troop part.

From my side there will be:

- Hussar kolpack (new molder)

- Ulan shako (new molder, already visible)

- British Horse Guard Artillery helmet

- Austrian Grenadier

Andreas

Excellent job Woody :thumbup: Can I ask you one question though, once I use the creator and make a design. They will than mold it into the design for me and for free? Than when they are finish making the mold, the process whereby modelling it to become the object is whereby it will cost money. Is this correct? :look:

Excellent job Woody :thumbup: Can I ask you one question though, once I use the creator and make a design. They will than mold it into the design for me and for free? Than when they are finish making the mold, the process whereby modelling it to become the object is whereby it will cost money. Is this correct? :look:

It's not a mold it's a 3d print. So they don't make a form they make the printing parameters out of your design ....

- First you design your model with a 3d program (you have to folllow some rules that it is printable)

- Then you load your design up

- They will check your design and after 10 minutes you get the result if it's printable (that's for free)

- Afterwards you (or anybody else) can order it

- The per piece price depends on the volume and the material of the model

- (for my hats it varies between $1.6 and $2.5)

- They print the item and send it to you

- My last order needs less then 5 days from loading the design up till printing it

So it's a very cheap process for producing custom items!

Andreas

Edited by woody64

The shakos aren't particularly working for me (they look rather fat); perhaps some colour would help this, though...

The dragoon helmet looks fantastic! :thumbup: Can a minifig grip the plume?

According to this page, we can buy them - is this correct? :wub:

A smooth work indeed. And that dragoon one looks really beautiful too... :wub:

Thanks but another question... Where is this place located at?

The 3d printing company is located in the netherlands. In Europe there are no costs for sending and transfer!!!

Minimum order size is 25$.

... looks fat

The bottom size is exactly the same as in the original lego piece. The top is larger then the bottom. That's the impression I have from the pictures. Maybe some color changes that ...

180px-MuseeMarine-ShakoMarine.jpg

The british is more like that:

HELMETS_BRITISH_ENGLISH_STOVE_PIPE_SHAKO_84TH_FOOT_GRANDE_ARMEE_MILITARY_ANTIQUES_MILITARIA_HELMETS_AND_HEADGEAR.jpg

Yes it have opened the design so that also others can order it. Maybe somebody gives it a trial ...

Andreas

Edited by woody64

The shakos aren't particularly working for me (they look rather fat); perhaps some colour would help this, though...

The dragoon helmet looks fantastic! :thumbup: Can a minifig grip the plume?

According to this page, we can buy them - is this correct? :wub:

Sorry, haven't seen the other questions.

Currently the minifig cannot hold the plume ... at least I didn't design it for that. Maybe I have to give it a try ...

I took a look at the material used for production. According to the company 0.5 mm can be achieved. The current design is based on 1.2mm wall thickness due to the first material which was used for printing. Maybe changing that allows smaller designs ...

Yes, Dragoon and French Shako were also opened to others for buying. Currently it's a trial without commercial interests and I'm searching for a reseller platform.

Today I ordered Hussars, Grenadier and Ulan. Based on the experiences so far the items should arrive by the end of the week.

hussar-3dview.pnggren-3dview.pngulan-3dview.png

Andreas

Edited by woody64

Newest results can be seen here:

- Hussar (new design, new 3d printer)

- Ulan (new design, new 3d printer)

- Austrian Grenadier (new design, new 3d printer)

- additional Dragoons ordered

img_3699-1.jpg

Hussar, Dragoon and French are ready from my point of view ...

img_3701.jpg

By the way I tried if the dragoon can hold his helmet at the plume and yes that's possible ...

Ulan needs a little change.

Grenadier needs a redesign.

Andreas

Edited by woody64

Those are looking great! I see what you mean about the shako too :wink:

The only one which looks a bit funny to me is the Ulan - it looks rather like a mortarboard :laugh: Then again, I don't go in for historical accuracy, so it doesn't really matter to me.

I'm very excited about those dragoons though :thumbup:

Can you get them pre-coloured? Or do you have to paint them?

By the way I tried if the dragoon can hold his helmet at the plume and yes that's possible ...

Ooo! Lots of taking-off-helmet-with-fierce-expression-ey-goodness! :grin:

The only one which looks a bit funny to me is the Ulan - it looks rather like a mortarboard :laugh: Then again, I don't go in for historical accuracy, so it doesn't really matter to me.

Can you get them pre-coloured? Or do you have to paint them?

Unfortunately I didn't know the translation mortarboard. So I looked in leo and it was translated as board for plasters (mortar). Luckily I did also a search with google pictures and saw the university hat :laugh:

But you are right, there was an austrian version of the hat which was smaller. For the general used type I think the hight should b greater ...

I have to colour them, which will be a task of the weekend.

Andreas

Edited by woody64

These are fantastic but most especially the dragoon helmet.

I bet they could do a really cool fez for Ottoman infantry (and to give Sallah from Indiana Jones a better hat.)

Very impressive, I quite like the mortarboard looks it gives it a number of other application. Would you be willing to tell us what else you're planning?

- Austrian Grenadier will be updated this weekend

- Ulan will also be corrected and updated this weekend

- British Horse Artillery Helmet is planned

- Fez would be an easy task, but doesn't brickforge sell some?

Some like that in the picture ....

om_kar_2679.jpg

- Prussian Grenadier hat would be nice

- Due to the costs currently achievable also bearskin hats for grenadiers maybe an oportunity

Andreas

Edited by woody64

- Fez would be an easy task, but doesn't brickforge sell some?

I had not seen a fez. They did introduce a very nice new turban design which is cool.

Is there any chance of some French dragoon headgear, U seam to remember it being diffrent from the Austrian though I could be wrong.

You mean something like this?

page6-1006-full.jpg

Andreas

That’s exactly the one I was thinking of! I think it also covers a number of other nations dragoons.

French Dragoon Proposal:

french-cuirassier.png

Unfortunately my 3d design wasn't accepted by the 3d printing check. But you can find a restricted one on

http://www.shapeways.com/model/9338/french_dragoon.html

And now it works ...

http://www.shapeways.com/model/9344/french_shako__2_.html

Andreas

Edited by woody64