Takanuinuva

Would Ninjago be succesful without Lego.

Looking at the Ninjago storyline. I've noticed that's its only real connection to Lego is its appearance. In the TV show the characters more act like humans (The ninja and citzens) and creatures (Serpentine and other animals). There isn't any instance of actual building with Lego elements like other Lego animated series (Atlantis, Clutch Powers, The Lego Movie). Granted the Skullkin have been shown to fall apart and be rebuilt. But that is more so a comedic thing with skeletons.

It made me wonder. Would Ninjago be as big a hit if some other toy company made it. Keep in mind all the sets would be the same with somewhat similar gimmicks. More akin to an action figure line like M.A.S.K or Batman. The storyline would have also remained the same. The only thing that would be different is the toys would not be made from Lego or another brand of building bricks.

Well, it's difficult to say. Even if the TV show could arguably work just as well without the LEGO brand, I think the fact that it is a LEGO building toy is definitely a big part of why the toys sell so well. And these days, a lot of TV networks and media distributors tend to make decisions about programming based on how much tie-in merchandise it's able to sell. Just picking an example, it's widely held that the reason Green Lantern: The Animated Series got cancelled is that retailers didn't want to stock Green Lantern toys after the movie and its merchandise had such disappointing performance.

If LEGO Ninjago couldn't achieve the toy sales it has, then there's no telling whether Cartoon Network or whatever hypothetical toy company you put in charge would be willing to invest so heavily in the TV show. Creating a successful merchandise-driven series usually demands that the toys have to support the media and vice-versa. If either side of the franchise fails, it can easily drag the other side down with it.

Not everything needs to work within the LEGO Movie mythology though. The characters don't need to be 'aware' of the fact that they're made of LEGO. It's perfectly fine that it's it's own story that doesn't overtly address that it's LEGO.

As to if it would work if it wasn't LEGO...it's kind of a moot point, as it is the brainchild of LEGO designers and was never intended to be anything other.

Other ninja franchises can and do sell without being made of LEGO, so I'd imagine Lloyd and company would be just fine. They'd have much less exciting playsets and vehicles though...

There was this one show a few years ago on Cartoon Network called Symbiotic Titan. Good show, but the merchandise didnt sell so the show didnt get a second season. (IMO the merchandise was pretty ugly...)

So I would think the answer to your question is probably 'No'. Unless Hasbro was doing it and spent a LOT on advertising. I mean a hell of a lot.

Not sure if this topic better fits in Commity or Culture subforum since it only talks about the influence of this theme, not LEGO sets.

I personally think it wouldn't. Without the artworks and toys that relate to LEGO, it could have been a stereotypical ninja sentai that don't even cater to the younger generation. Even though the newer seasons are getting better stories, without LEGO it could have been cancelled during the very first season. Like Aanchir mentioned, CN saw the potential of Ninjago due to their success in the very first season of LEGO sets.

And if it was a license owned by other animation studios and LEGO wants to find an action license, to me TMNT and Avatar might have better chances than Ninjago.

I personally think it's that TLG wanted to introduce a ninja theme that can be popular enough among boys but it doesn't have to rely on licenses. In Agents' case, LEGO could also introduce a licensed subtheme like S.H.I.E.L.D. (much to Marvel fans' dismay) but they don't due to commercial reasons.

About the theory of building, we should also remember it's that the story helps kids relate to the vehicles and characters. If TLG just randomly threw us a green ninja and Overlord, we can't understand the idea. It's indeed similiar with the licensed themes, the difference is that LEGO animations already planned to put LEGO products in the story, while not all license owners already have plans for cooperation with toy companies at the beginning. That means, many of the NInjago vehicles could have never existed if Ninjago wasn't a LEGO property.

Friends animation series so far doesn't tell too much brick buildings (though this series sometimes refers to "creation"). It's mostly like a showcase how the characters utilize the LEGO buildings in their daily life. Besides, this show mostly use a viewpoint of realworld rather than a brick-built world.

Edited by Dorayaki