Captain Green Hair

Build a frigate with Captain Green Hair

Do you know how the spars/booms will be built? The BSB and SES used a lot of 1x10 black plates for them---will these be like that?

Do you know how the spars/booms will be built? The BSB and SES used a lot of 1x10 black plates for them---will these be like that?

Yes, these will be made in a similar way, but without the plate that has the hook on it.

This is coming along very nicely. :thumbup: Perhaps at some point I will follow through with the steps and build a frigate. :pir-cry_sad: It's unfortunate that I just haven't had the time to participate. Work is so time consuming... :pir-hmpf: But I would like to say that the progress I have seen so far is just outstanding. Keep up the good work, fellas! :thumbup:

The gun deck striping is almost entirely 1x1 and 1x2 bricks, with 1x6 plates at the top and bottom. I assume the use of 1x1+1x2 is due to their availability in dark red, and that most other colors could be done easier/cheaper with 1x3 bricks in many places.

As for other plates---I've just been buying even more of what I already have. (you can always use more black Legos) I fear I'll run into a lack of 2x plates though----I have no idea how many 2x3, 2x4, 2x6 may be needed just below the gun deck stripe.

Edited by steele

I'd guess around:

40 1x1 bricks

40 1x3 bricks

40 1x6 plates

If you use a color that doesn't have 1x3 bricks available, you'll need an additional 40 1x1 bricks, and 40 1x2 bricks. The rear-most gunport seems to be constructed using 1x4 bricks though.

Plus a 1x2 plate or 1x2 tile for each port, depending on how you want it to look and how many cannons you actually have. The ship has "around" 20 gunports on the gundeck, depending how you build it. Don't forget these:

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/2335

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/2540

for each gunport.

Edited by steele

There are also a lot of 1x1, 1x2, 1x4, 1x8 and 1x10 plates used in black to connect the whole wall above the red stripe.

You'll also need plates for the decks ofcourse.

And like Steele already said, you can always use more Lego. :pir_laugh2:

wow, lots of pieces going into this, i never thought building a frigate would use so many pieces.

also you appear to of had a name change...

Yes large detailed ships take a lot of parts, but the result is very well worth it. :pir-wink:

I bought more black 1x2, 1x4 and 1x8 plates earlier, have 1x3 and 1x6 on order, still have to order 1x1 and 1x10. Haven't bought any 2-wide plates yet, no idea what I'll need more of until I start building.

I'm going to try making the gundeck stripe a bit thinner, but not sure if it'll look right with the gunports---Lego's 2x2 flag and standard cannon shape limits what you can do.

Edited by steele

I bought more black 1x2, 1x4 and 1x8 plates earlier, have 1x3 and 1x6 on order, still have to order 1x1 and 1x10. Haven't bought any 2-wide plates yet, no idea what I'll need more of until I start building.

I'm going to try making the gundeck stripe a bit thinner, but not sure if it'll look right with the gunports---Lego's 2x2 flag and standard cannon shape limits what you can do.

You can make the gundeck stripe thinner, but if you want to make the ship lower, you'll have to lower the deck inside as well to fit guns.

I made the stripe this high, so that the gunport fits nicely on it, having a bit of red along all sides.

As for 2x.. plates you'll need some 2x2, 2x3, 2x6 and 2x8 plates. I'd say about 20 of each.

I am still eager to see WIP shots, so if you want some feedback post away i say! :pir-cry_happy:

I've just been making short sections of gundeck to experiment with stripe height, gunport positioning, etc. Trying to figure out exactly how I want it before I build it---don't want to spend hours making the whole thing THEN realize I want the striping 1 plate taller or shorter. There's 55 studs of "primary" gundeck striping/walls on yours---you've got 9 cannons 4 apart, plus the 2 studs per cannon, plus 1 "extra" stud (9x4 + 9x2 +1). Going to 3 studs works for 11 cannons. (11x3 + 11x2) I haven't decided on cannon spacing either---and how far apart they are affects how thin or thick the striping appears.

I do plan to lower the entire side a bit--I like "sleek" ships. I've been carefully testing for fit with cannons at every step. (but I really need my hinges to arrive before I can really get everything tested, as having the sides angled will affect things a bit)

I'll post a pic of some of the "final choices" for gundeck striping when I've built them.

And I just realized while typing this that if I buy white or blue flag-holders(part 2540) instead of using black ones that'll change everything.

WIP from me won't come until near or on Christmas :pir_bawling: But I've got a lot of pieces found: (Big list coming)

Brown boat hull large bow 12 X 16 X 5: 1 for $2.00

Brown boat hull large stern 14 X 16 X 5: 1 for $1.60

Brown boat hull large middle 8 X 2 1/3: 4 for $20.00, 1 for $5.21

Brown brick 2 X 4: 30 for $4.50

Brown plate 2 X 3: 8 for $0.24

Brown plate 2 X 2: 4 for $0.16

Brown plate 2 X 10: 4 for $0.32

Brown plate 1 X 2: 4 for $0.08

Brown plate 1 X 8: 1 for $0.035

Black plate, modified 1 X 2 with 1 stud (jumper): 100 for $4.00

Black tile 2 X 2 (undetermined type) : 20 for $1.38

Black tile 1 X 4: 20 for $1.20

Black tile 1 X 8: 4 for $0.20

Black tile 1 X 2 (undetermined type) : 20 for $1.53

Black hinge, plate 1 X 2 with 2 fingers: 28 for $1.56

Black hinge, plate 1 X 2 with 3 fingers:26 for $0.26

Red brick 1 X 1: 40 for $0.60

Red brick 1 X 3: 40 for $1.08

Red plate 1 X 6: 40 for $1.60

Black flag 2 X 2 square: 20 for $1.33

Black Plate, Modified 1 x 2 with Handle on Side - Type 1 (free ends): 20 for $0.20

Red plate 1 X 2: 20 for $0.10

Black plate 1 X 1: 50 for $1.20

Black plate 1 X 10: 30 for $2.475

Black plate 1 X 2: 50 for $1.50

Black plate 1 X 4: 50 for $1.40

Black plate 1 X 8: 30 for $1.89

Brown minifig, weapon cannon base 2 X 4: 13 for $9.10

Pearl dark gray minifig, weapon cannon shooting: 14 for $16.80

Tan plate 4 X 12: 5 for $1.25

Tan plate 4 X 4: 5 for $0.25

Tan plate 1 X 8: 4 for $0.20

Thats all the pieces listed, then ones you've recently said. How many of the rarer pieces like the gold studs and masts and such do I need? 2X in what color? Black?

Edited by Commander Flash

Looks like a good way to decide how to build it Steele.

Personally i like the one where the flag is placed under the black line and with 4 studs between ports best.

Will you make your ornaments and such in yellow? Perhaps you can add some more blue on the top lines as well....

I love making small study models like this to envision if something works on a larger MOC or to try out a new technique, i have made quite a few before i started on the Prince Willim. :pir-classic:

You will see how i designed the masts soon enough,, but i need to get some more parts myself as well....

I have almost no gold parts (and they're expensive to buy), so I will be using yellow. I don't plan to put any blue striping anywhere---the aft cabin will have lots of blue, and the sails. I plan to basically make "a very large Caribbean Clipper". But with a bit more color (blue, black, white).

Aaah the clipper, a wonderful classic set i don't own. :pir-cry_sad:

I would make the sails a bit simplified without all the blue striping, perhaps a (Blue coat) logo on the main sail could look cool....

I don't own a Cipper either! But I do have about 98% of the parts needed and have liked it since I first saw it in the catalog that came with my BSB all those years ago. I might actually build a copy of it quickly before doing this frigate---I only have one set of "all-brown" bow/stern parts so I can't do both at once.

I just bought some materials to try a new technique at making striped sails---if it works, I'll post a tutorial.

Edited by steele

Aaah the clipper, a wonderful classic set i don't own. :pir-cry_sad:

I would make the sails a bit simplified without all the blue striping, perhaps a (Blue coat) logo on the main sail could look cool....

Too bad, That was the reason why I get to partake in this! Twas my first imperial set :pir-cry_happy:

I have very few brown pieces at all, but since I have the bow and stern pieces from SES, they have red top parts, so I just went all red in the model I'm building.

Here's some WIP pics:

dsc01012.jpg

dsc01013.jpg

dsc01019.jpg

dsc01020.jpg

I've been looking at your wonderful undertaking since I found the pics on brickshelf from France, and more since I realized that with some efforts and sacrifices I have got the parts to take part in the adventure, because I'm found of war ships of the imperial period, and because legos can take a large part of my time. However, for the time I got involved in the building of lego ships, I never found a technic so developped as yours, that's why I'm very interested in trying to follow your instructions and seeing the result, the reason why I finally decided to sign up to eurobrick. But in order to follow the challenge with more passion and more satisfaction, I would like to make a bigger ship than a frigate on this model, such as La Mort Royale, that's why I would like to ask you if the building strategy for adding a second deck and a second-floored-cabin is the same than the instructions shown in the thread ?

Obviously, if I succed in following the way, gathering the parts and improving the technologies of construction, I'll take some photos and share the result with thope that it is satisfactory. For the beginning, my problem is exactly the same than Vladimir, because I don't have any stern with the right colours, but I think it will be ok to cheat with a paint layer.

I have a question, should my stripe be dark blue, ar medium Blue? which sounds better?

I've been looking at your wonderful undertaking since I found the pics on brickshelf from France, and more since I realized that with some efforts and sacrifices I have got the parts to take part in the adventure, because I'm found of war ships of the imperial period, and because legos can take a large part of my time. However, for the time I got involved in the building of lego ships, I never found a technic so developped as yours, that's why I'm very interested in trying to follow your instructions and seeing the result, the reason why I finally decided to sign up to eurobrick. But in order to follow the challenge with more passion and more satisfaction, I would like to make a bigger ship than a frigate on this model, such as La Mort Royale, that's why I would like to ask you if the building strategy for adding a second deck and a second-floored-cabin is the same than the instructions shown in the thread ?

Obviously, if I succed in following the way, gathering the parts and improving the technologies of construction, I'll take some photos and share the result with thope that it is satisfactory. For the beginning, my problem is exactly the same than Vladimir, because I don't have any stern with the right colours, but I think it will be ok to cheat with a paint layer.

Welcome Ingmar! I hope you enjoy it here :pir-classic: