vynsane

Modular Starfighter [LDD MOC]

^^ I'll see what I can do, if you have reference material or something, but I generally just design on whim, so I don't know how successful I'd be with a 'commission' of sorts...

^ Good suggestion, thanks! You can also select all pieces from one design file by either drawing a selection box around the entire thing or holding down 'ctrl' (windows) or 'cmd' (mac) and pressing 'A'. Then copy using ctrl/cmd 'C', opening a new or existing file and pasting using ctrl/cmd 'P'.

I also started to better use the features of the program, and find it easiest to work with the modules saved to the 'Templates' palette, found next to the 'Bricks' palette. If you're not familiar with it, in comparison to the 'Bricks' palette (which is the pre-defined set of single elements you have to choose from by default) 'Templates' are reusable chunks of bricks that are user-defined - you can select a bunch of pieces you've used in the main 'scene' panel, click the 'Templates' tab, and click the icon in the lower left-hand corner of the palette to save the selection as a 'Template'. These are then stored in the application memory and can be re-used in future designs. Here's a screenshot of what my 'Templates' palette looks like:

Unfortunately, there isn't much in the way of ordering or managing templates in any sensible manner. I've sort of begun to color-code my module templates by type. Red for cockpits, tan for wings, green for fuselage sections, etc., but it's not an exact science and you'll see modules in there that don't conform to those 'standards'.

Then, when starting a new design, I will select the modules I want to use from the 'Templates' palette, and add each one to the 'Groups' palette (selecting them using the 'Connected Selection Tool') before connecting them to other modules. This allows me to quickly select an entire module (or a sensible grouping of modules, as can be the case with sub-groups) in order to rearrange or replace things if the need arises. 'Groups' differ from 'Templates' in that they are only available within that design file. Here is the 'Groups' palette for the most recent "Raijin" Mk.II design:

As you can see, I've added all weapon modules as sub-groups of the appropriate main group. So, the blasters attached to the cockpit are part of the over-all cockpit group, but can be individually selected as a sub-group if I wanted to swap them out for some other weapon module. Same for the heavy energy cannons under each 'wing' module.

Edited by Calabar
Oversized image converted in text link (maximum size allowed is 800x600).

Also, Vynsane, could you please make a large, gigantic, upgraded version of the heavy weapons module, a sort of warp drive module using this (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=53983pb01) part and a larger wing? And thanks for the help Hubertbrickengineer!

I'll see what I can do, but I don't recall seeing that turbine piece in LDD. I'll have a look when I can.

Hadn't considered using templates, mine are so scattered with other things (mostly decorations that aren't in extended mode)

Unfortunately, there isn't much in the way of ordering or managing templates in any sensible manner

I find whenever I add a new template the whole thing rearranges itself, I can never find anything. It would be nice to have 'template catagories', with one for modular spacecraft work, one for decorated pieces, one for a particular MOC in progress, etc. On that note, I'll pop a post over in the LDD wanted features topic

Hadn't considered using templates, mine are so scattered with other things (mostly decorations that aren't in extended mode)

I figure the decorations are easy enough to get to by switching 'building modes', the templates are more suited to basically exactly what I'm doing - reusable chunks. Also good for favorite jump-off points like cockpit boxes and such. I've been using templates for about half a year now. Groupings within models are relatively new, started using them within the past month or so.

I find whenever I add a new template the whole thing rearranges itself, I can never find anything. It would be nice to have 'template catagories', with one for modular spacecraft work, one for decorated pieces, one for a particular MOC in progress, etc. On that note, I'll pop a post over in the LDD wanted features topic

Yeah, further categorization of the template palette would be aces. That or user-defined palettes or, even at a higher level, the ability to create 'custom' building modes (in addition to LDD standard, Mindstorms and Extended) with user-defined palettes for each 'mode'.

I don't see why it couldn't be - especially in digital form... :wink:

Since the marines are red, maybe a red starfighter next?

I think I might try and customise some of your modules and create a heavy weapons one myself.

Sounds cool, please post here if you do!

I actually developed a new cockpit module for a Vic Viper I was trying to complete before the end of Novvember - but I didn't finish it in time. I will still finish and post it here when I have.

Nothing new to post, yet, but I did a render using the LDD to POV-Ray converter:

8271364540_71d90b7b5b_z.jpg

"Oni" Class Defender Render by vynsane, on Flickr

I also created a new group for designs using the modular starfighter/spaceship standard, under the umbrella of "Tanuki Corp." and an official logo:

Tanuki_Corp_Logo.png

Can't wait to print that out and stick it on a 2x2 round tile...

Okay took me quite some time, but finally after like 20 different bricklink orders, I got all the parts for the "PLM-T1 "Bakemono" Rev. A":

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Thanks for that awesome ship!! :D (So its really quite difficult to get it solid! ^^)

Whoa, nice color scheme! I'm jealous, now I want to make one in real life!

(So its really quite difficult to get it solid! ^^)

What do you mean? Are the connections weak? It's possible, since it was a digital-only design...

Yeah the connections are kinda weak, its okay now, but its not too solid. I dont know exactly where it was, but I changed one thing to make it more stable. Cant remember where it was! ^^ :grin:

Pretty awesome. I'm going to do my best to make a purple and black one. I'm making progress on the heavy weapons module, by the way.

Edited by DraikNova

Hi guys, I know this thread is kinda old, is it still ok to post here?

I am currently designing some more modules for the system vynsane started

Would it be ok for me to post the images and designs?

1 hour ago, DragonIndustries said:

Hi guys, I know this thread is kinda old, is it still ok to post here?

I am currently designing some more modules for the system vynsane started

Would it be ok for me to post the images and designs?

I went into this topic ready to notify yet another user that reviving age old topics without a good reason is frowned upon here on Eurobricks. But... I suppose you do have a good reason. :tongue:

Not sure if many people here will remember this topic, but feel free to post them here. I think keeping it in this topic instead of creating a new one would keep it more organized. Keep in mind that Vynsane doesn't seem to be an active user anymore.

On 8/9/2017 at 3:13 PM, legolijntje said:

Keep in mind that Vynsane doesn't seem to be an active user anymore.

That's really a shame, his work is amazing! I myself bumped an old topic of his that included both LDD reconstructions and complementary instructions for the work of Sky-fi builder Jonhall18 since the instruction links were defunct. But I didn't realize how inactive he was. :sad:

On 8/10/2017 at 0:02 PM, supertruper1988 said:

Could this be moved to the scifi forum? I feel it would get more traction and such there. 

I second this! :sweet: