Sign in to follow this  
Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest#14: The Family Recipe

"Now then, Mrs. Cinna, Mr. Nahai, Mr. Docken, Master Ziegfried, I have a plan. Depending on the security, we can come here at night to release both the unicorn (with the help of young Master Ziegried and Mr. Docken), and Hopet here, and he just might have the flower we're looking for. We can lead the unicorn across to the Necromancer, who might just know how to turn him undead."

I whisper to Thothwick

You're whispering, right? :look:

Sounds good to me. Plans to steal things and break laws are always good. They tend to bring lots of XP.

<Indeed, I do not doubt that there are few things which can cause more suffering than to be kept in a pen for the public to stare at.

I'm a hero from Heroica on the Island of Uland, in the Free Islands. I've been assigned the painful task of locating the horn of an undead unicorn. Would you happen to know anything about those?>

heroicaquest14-unicornava.jpg

"Neigh! Whinny! <Undead is undead., no matter what the species. Turning corpses alive requires sinister magic, that much I know. Now, will you please let me drown in my own misery?>"

"<Greetings friend, I am Thothwick, from the Mistlands just like you. You are in the town of Salmanda, and the you were captured by Humans, to be a trophy in this menagerie. Not all humans are barbaric, like the ones in my party, who would likely help me rescue you. All we need to know is what kind of security does the menagerie have at night?"

"Also, if you don't mind me asking, what were these herbs you were collecting? If they are the herbs we're looking for, you could gift us them to show us your gratitude.">

heroicaquest14-hoptet.jpg

"<Well met, Thothwick. Since the menagerie is closed at night-time, there is only one guard present, and even he sleeps through most of the night. So you are right, if you wish to free me, doing so during the night would be best. As for the herbs I was collecting, I unfortunately lost them during the scuffle, along with all my belongings. I still cannot fathom how those men could get me confused with a common gorilla, since I was carrying a sickle and a basket of herbs... Anyway, I cannot pay you anything in return for my freedom, but I can offer you my help and talents in druidism. It is the least I can do if you get me out of here.>"

I whisper to the other heroes.

Hopet's talents would certainly be an asset in this Quest, if druidism means he wields the same powers as a Druid. On the other hand, we have to have a dead unicorn to present to the necromancer, which would mean killing this one.

While her comrades are talking to caged metasimian and unicorn, Cinna makes an attempt to slowly lead Marmaduc away from the area a few steps (by talking to him and slowly taking a few steps).

"If only we had gold to buy your wares, but alas we are not so lucky. How long long does it usually take to tame a wild beast? I find it most interesting that you could capture all of these beautiful creatures and you look very uninjured. Do you find them all yourself?"

"If only we had gold to buy your wares, but alas we are not so lucky. How long long does it usually take to tame a wild beast? I find it most interesting that you could capture all of these beautiful creatures and you look very uninjured. Do you find them all yourself?"

heroicaquest14-marmaduc.jpg

"Haha, if only I could brag about catching all these marvelous beast with my own hands! Alas no, I have an expert group of hunters and tamers working for me. Why, if you happen to find an exceedingly rare animal that I am missing from my collection, I would be delighted to pay you handsomely if you brought it to me. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to return to my duties."

Marmaduc leaves the party's presence. The park is still crowded, though, so any attempt to release either the Metasimian or the unicorn would not go unnoticed.

What will the party do now?

"Who says you can't make good decisions after two in the morning, eh? Jail break at the zoo, necromantic rituals, and stealing a rare flower... We've got our hands full!

Hoptet will be an invaluable asset, so I think he tops the list."

I search the entirety of the menagerie to see if Marmaduc happens to own any Golden Scorpions.

I search the entirety of the menagerie to see if Marmaduc happens to own any Golden Scorpions.

There are no scorpions of any color within the menagerie.

Okay, I'm thinking we go for Golden Scorpions first, take some venom, see if we can take one alive, and bring it to Marmaduc to trade or sell.

Okay, I'm thinking we go for Golden Scorpions first, take some venom, see if we can take one alive, and bring it to Marmaduc to trade or sell.

Sounds like a winner to me. Ooh, we could really push our luck and sell him a golden scorpion, THEN steal it back when we break out Hoptet and the unicorn!

Sounds like a winner to me. Ooh, we could really push our luck and sell him a golden scorpion, THEN steal it back when we break out Hoptet and the unicorn!

I whisper to Thormanil.

Why? We have no need of a live Golden Scorpion, and Marmaduc certainly wouldn't buy it back from us.

I whisper to Thormanil.

Why? We have no need of a live Golden Scorpion, and Marmaduc certainly wouldn't buy it back from us.

Muttering

Everyone else at the Hall was getting pets...

Joking aside, wonder how long it'll take us to get to the beach and find a golden scorpion. Got our work cut out for us over the next few nights.

Edited by swils

Joking aside, wonder how long it'll take us to get to the beach and find a golden scorpion. Got our work cut out for us over the next few nights.

If the party leaves the city of Salmanda to visit the beach or the bog, night will fall. They can still visit the souk during this day.

If the party leaves the city of Salmanda to visit the beach or the bog, night will fall. They can still visit the souk during this day.

"I believe it's important to cover as much ground as possible today, so I propose that going to the souk would be best."

The souk sounds good to me.

We could also try to capture the wyvern, but I think I'd be more comfortable delivering the scorpion.

The regrouped party leaves the menagerie behind with promises to come back for Hoptet, and head to the souk near the Daystar Tower.

heroicaquest14-souk.jpg

The market is full of shouting people, brightly coloured carpets, glittering valuables and intoxicating scents. The party watches flabbergasted as the salesmen argue with haggling buyers in a manner that represents a whole game of its own. Three sellers seem to offer the most extensive selection of items, so the party takes a closer look on their wares.

Akbar’s Exquisite Requisites

heroica-potion.jpgPotion – Restores 10 health to the target. Costs 12 gold.

heroica-grandpotion.jpgGrand Potion – Restores 25 health to the target. Costs 20 gold.

heroica-elixir.jpgElixir – Restores 50 health and 10 ether to the target and removes all negative effects from the target during a battle. Costs 80 gold.

heroica-remedy.jpgRemedy – Removes all negative effects from the target during a battle. Costs 20 gold.

heroica-phoenixessence.jpgPhoenix Essence – Revives a fallen ally with full health during a battle. Costs 100 gold.

heroica-smokebomb.jpgSmoke Bomb – Allows the party to escape the battle. Costs 15 gold.

heroica-shovel.jpgShovel – Allows the hero to dig the ground in search of a treasure. Costs 20 gold.

heroica-magnifyingglass.jpgMagnifying Glass - Allows the hero to see trap triggers. Costs 60 gold.

heroica-crystalchalice.jpgCrystal Chalice – A fragile cup made of crystal. Costs 140 gold.

heroica-goldchalice.jpgGold Chalice – A precious cup made of gold. Costs 200 gold.

Fatim’s Wondrous Sundries

heroica-grandpotion.jpgGrand Potion – Restores 25 health to the target. Costs 18 gold.

heroica-grandtonic.jpgGrand Tonic – Restores 15 ether to the target. Costs 50 gold.

heroica-phoenixessence.jpgPhoenix Essence – Revives a fallen ally with full health during a battle. Costs 90 gold.

heroica-venom.jpgVenom – Use on a weapon to make it cause a poisoned-effect on any enemy it hits for the duration of one battle. A poisoned enemy loses 1 health each turn. Costs 10 gold.

heroica-headyperfume.jpgHeady Perfume – Makes non-humanoid monsters avoid attacking the party unless provoked. Effect lasts for one day or night before wearing out. Costs 50 gold.

heroica-magiccompass.jpgMagic Compass - Allows the hero to know the right direction. Costs 100 gold.

heroica-goldchalice.jpgGold Chalice – A precious cup made of gold. Costs 150 gold.

heroica-blackglobe.jpgBlack Pearl – An sought-after dark pearl. Costs 125 gold.

heroica-mythril.jpgMythril – A very rare metal. Costs 1000 gold.

Sayid’s Bizarre Bazaar

heroica-potion.jpgPotion – Restores 10 health to the target. Costs 10 gold.

heroica-tonic.jpgTonic – Restores 5 ether to the target. Costs 30 gold.

heroica-grandtonic.jpgGrand Tonic – Restores 15 ether to the target. Costs 60 gold.

heroica-remedy.jpgRemedy – Removes all negative effects from the target during a battle. Costs 20 gold.

heroica-venom.jpgVenom – Use on a weapon to make it cause a poisoned-effect on any enemy it hits for the duration of one battle. A poisoned enemy loses 1 health each turn. Costs 11 gold.

heroica-smokebomb.jpgSmoke Bomb – Allows the party to escape the battle. Costs 10 gold.

heroica-headyperfume.jpgHeady Perfume – Makes non-humanoid monsters avoid attacking the party unless provoked. Effect lasts for one day or night before wearing out. Costs 60 gold.

heroica-hexedidol.jpgHexed Idol – Causes the hexed-effect to one humanoid enemy, making it act against an ally instead of the heroes for one turn. Breaks after one use. Costs 50 gold.

heroica-shovel.jpgShovel – Allows the hero to dig the ground in search of a treasure. Costs 20 gold.

heroica-blackglobe.jpgBlack Pearl – An sought-after dark pearl. Costs 150 gold.

heroica-crystalchalice.jpgCrystal Chalice – A fragile cup made of crystal. Costs 120 gold.

The party can now do some shopping at the souk.

"Well, we need a crystal chalice, and I can't help from thinking that the 'Heady Perfume' might be useful for the wyvern. If you would all like to put in forty coins each for the chalice, I would willingly pay fifty gold for the perfume."

I agree. I think we should approach Akbar first, and see if he'll try to beat Sayid's currently lower price.

I think we should approach Akbar first, and see if he'll try to beat Sayid's currently lower price.

The party walks over to Akbar's stall first. The merchants looks at them with a hopeful grin.

"Yeees, yeees, come forward! What is it you are seeking on this beautiful day in the golden Salmanda?"

Good day! I was just looking at this Crystal Chalice, here. Lovely piece, but Sayid over there is selling an apparently identical one for only 120 Gold. I was wondering if there was any reason yours costs 140 Gold.

Good day! I was just looking at this Crystal Chalice, here. Lovely piece, but Sayid over there is selling an apparently identical one for only 120 Gold. I was wondering if there was any reason yours costs 140 Gold.

"Because mine is better! Much better than that cheapskate Sayid, handmade here in Salmanda. Have you heard he imports his items from slave labourers in Xu?"

If the party wishes to make purchases in the souk, they have to propose a price for the merchants, who will either accept it or make a counter-offer. In other words, the party can haggle for the items, as hinted earlier.

I haven't, and that makes your product all the more appealing. I assume yours are not made by slaves in Salmanda?

Anyways, where I come from, a Crystal Chalice is only worth 70 Gold. Will you take 80 Gold for it?

Anyways, where I come from, a Crystal Chalice is only worth 70 Gold. Will you take 80 Gold for it?

Akbar purses his lips.

"It's a steal, I tell you, but very well. Anything else I can get you?"

Bartholomew buys one Crystal Chalice for 80 gold.

Party:

ava-bartholomew.png

Bartholomew Docken
(played by Brickdoctor)

Level 13½ Ranger
*scary*

Power:

Health:
19/19

Gold:

Inventory:
Mockthril Longbow (WP:5), Dread Hat (lower level enemies won't attack directly), Potion, Phoenix Essence, Mead, Smoke Bomb, Bedroll, Crystal Chalice

6048306376_bab9d558d0_t.jpg

Cinna the Dark
(played by darkdragon) *Party Leader*

Level 11 Mage

Power:

Health:
15/15

Ether:
15/15

Gold:

Inventory:
Nimbus Broomstick (WP:5, ranged), Pongcanis Mage Staff (WP:5), Shadeaux Staff (WP:4), Quarterstaff (WP:3), Amethyst (Darkness), Scroll of Sleep, 6 Grand Potions, Tonic, Remedy, Phoenix Essence, 2 Smelling Salts, Bedroll, Shovel

6227298131_2a2c036037_t.jpg

Thormanil Nihai
(played by swils)

Level 11½ Barbarian

Power:

Health:
18/18

Gold:

Inventory:
Thundering Shadeaux Axes (WP:6,
lightning-elemental
), Tongue on a Stick (WP:1, Miss>Aim), Dull Greataxe (WP:3), Sabre (WP:8, unequippable), Pickaxe

ava-thothwick.jpg

Thothwick
(played by Professor Flitwick)

Level 5 Rogue

Power:
13 (10 for ranged attacks)

Health:
11/11

Gold:

Inventory:
Sabre (WP:8), Whip Chain (WP:6), Shuriken (WP:5, ranged), Potion, Remedy Venom, 2 Fire Bombs, Bedroll

heroicaquest14-bluto.jpg

Bluto Ziegfried
(NPC)

Level 6 Dream Sailor

Power:

Health:
6/6

Ether:
6/6

Gold:

Inventory:
Harpoon (WP:3, ranged), Aquamarine (Water)