Sign in to follow this  
skyliner

2013 Interesting new part: Cross Block 3X2X1

How do Lego come up with new parts, do they think of something which it can be used for, or do they try and build a set, but they need to make a new part to accomplish this.

@Robert

I think I remember from an interview that it is a mix of both. Certain parts (mini-LAs, pnuematics) they design the dets around them to incorporate the pieces. Other parts (like the one above) were probably invented for a specific purpose.

tim

I'm scratching my head, trying to find a use for this Lege Element ID 6022718 (Cross Block 3X2X1). For Lego Technic creations, how useful is it to have three parallel axles all aligned, right next to each other? Maybe this part will find its way into the center of a vehicle's front grille, like this Dodge:

6022718.jpg2005_Dodge_Ram_SRT-10_front%20grille.jpg

I think this part will be useful in creating a half stud offset, which could come in especially handy when designing bracing for changeover catches:

6641.gif?0

Does that hole in the middle go the entire way through?

It's quite odd that Lego won't make new molds for certain Cuusoo projects because the molds cost $50,000 to $100,000 for a new part, but then you have oddball things like this that may only appear in a few sets and have very limited use.

It's quite odd that Lego won't make new molds for certain Cuusoo projects because the molds cost $50,000 to $100,000 for a new part, but then you have oddball things like this that may only appear in a few sets and have very limited use.

can you post the cuscoo thing link?

This kind of part is very useful for action figure sets like Hero Factory or the upcoming Chima line. In these, variation can be created between similar weapons by combining two or more weapon elements in a new way (the alternative is often doing like Bionicle did too often and creating unique weapon molds for an entire set of characters). So far it's been used in two sets, with more due for the summer, and in previous years this part's existence would have been beneficial as well.

Cuusoo models, on the other hand, have a limited production run, and their development takes place outside Lego's normal schedule, limiting how much new parts can be used outside the single Cuusoo model. That's on top of the fact that many molds designed for Cuusoo projects (at least those who have been rejected for this reason) would have limited use outside that one set due to depicting highly character-specific accessories like fantasy hairpieces or weapons. I think they might bend their rules if the new piece a Cuusoo model featured were a basic sort of part like this which could be adapted easily to other themes, or a piece which would be in high demand as a stand-alone piece (akin to various Power Functions parts which can be purchased individually).