Electricsteam

Electrosteam's Bag of Ideas

(Sorry for the large picture, it won't resize!)This one-of-a-kind locomtive is the Midland Railway's 0-10-0 'Lickey Banker'. Big Bertha / Emma (As she was sometimes called) was used on the steepest sustained grade (1 in 37) in the UK. She was built in 1919 and worked until 1956, when she was replaced by diesels and scrapped.

Built in 1925 and designed for banking trains in Worsborough Bank, United Kingdom. She was unsuccessfuly tried on the Lickey inlcine in 1949 -50 and again in 1955. It was then withdrwawn in 1955 after fialing those tests.

I once fixed a OO model of Big Bertha that went in the wrong direction for the current - no good for a banking engine! One side of the electrics were connected to the chassis so that couldn't be changed but, as any A-level physicist knows, turning the magnet round will also change the direction of the motor!

LNER_Garratt%2C_2395_%28CJ_Allen%2C_Steel_Highway%2C_1928%29.jpg

I built one of the 2-6-0+0-6-2 LMS Garratt engines that used to haul 99-wagon coal trains from Toton (in the Midlands) to Brent (London). They were built to replace pairs of 3F and 4F 0-6-0s but the designer tried to use the same wheel bearings with a heavier loco and reliability was poor as a result. Most of them were also fitted with a rotating coal bunker, so I motorized this with a micro motor in the cab. I have 1 9V train motor at each end for traction and 1 gearmotor at each end for turning the driving wheels, which are suspended off the rails. The wheels are too small as they should really be at least 5ft diameter, but TLG never made the 40mm thin pulleys I suggested!

lms_garratt_derby_2003.jpg

More pics in this folder.

Mark

The recent 'Locomotive Annie' modern steam locomotive and the suggestion of a solar-powered locomotive made me think of more alternative propulsion systems. How about these:

svl10.jpg

... do you hear that sound... Is it a plane? Is it a car? No, it's the ER22 to Moscow!

Schienenzeppelin_Steilrampe.jpg

And of course, you can use other aero plane technology to power your train. Better hold on to your newspaper when the Schienenzeppelin passes the platform...

Scarey stuff *oh2* Makes my steam electric look a bit tame by comparison.

I used to own a tinplate Schienenzeppelin made by Lionel. It was a nice looking model, but I only ever used it as a display piece. I think i ran it once on the layout out of curiosity, but didn't make a habit of it because it was in mint condition and I didn't want to get any scratches on all that pristine tinplate.

S4zZP.jpg

Here is a very strange steam locomotive that I would say looks like steampunk :laugh:

SuOTa.jpg

Honestly what where they thinking when they made this!

I know it is generally frowned upon to quote pictures, but I felt these were so good that I felt thy diserved extra attention.

You found some really whacky locos there. My favorites are the two here. I don't have the shills, but I would really like to see these in LEGO, especially the first.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Looking for ideas for my upcoming railroad, I found some pretty interesting stuff:

Ramjets?!?

jet-powered-locomotive.jpg

M-497 Ramjet Locomotive - imagine the noise!

eek.gif

Polish Fast Steam Locomotive (1937)

steam_locomotive_pm36_1_by_czajka-d3hjqbi.jpgpm36-1i2.jpg

PM36-1 - unfortunately, only a prototype, and lost in WWII

Sex on rails

PRRT15533a.jpgPRRT15533.jpg

One of the sexiest trains that I know of, the Baldwin T1

Edited by Werlu Ulcur

I know it is generally frowned upon to quote pictures, but I felt these were so good that I felt thy diserved extra attention.

You found some really whacky locos there. My favorites are the two here. I don't have the shills, but I would really like to see these in LEGO, especially the first.

Andy D

I made the first one already! :tongue:

Ive got a splendid Idea for Train Tech to spend many sleepless nights trying to figure out.

A steam locomotive with only flanged wheels. 2-16-2

I have my own solution, but I am not telling.

Damn..Gimme another guess. A LOT of blind drivers! Super easy turns! All blind drivers and the pilot and trailing trucks are supporting it all.

Whilst reading this I had an engine and a helicopter sitting next to me on the desk so I thought, why not throw the two together? My three year-old was otherwise occupied so I had all of five minutes respite to throw this together and get it photographed:

dsc06858.jpg

The backstory is everything, right?

Car #168 is the end result of a secret program started by the CIA in 1964. The previous 167 cars all met a grisly demise on the test track, incurring the loss of numerous personnel. The engine was designed to air-lift itself behind enemy lines where it could wreck havoc in it's own unique way. Most of the interior of the car contained various weapons including large calibre machine guns and missle launchers under the retractable roof. There was also room to store the rotors when not in use as, obviously, they would cause a bit of a problem with bridge and tunnel clearances.

This prototype was launched from an aircraft carrier when it suddenly developed engine problems and presently it rests at the bottom of the Gulf of Tonkin. Due to budget cutbacks the program was discontinued. The crew was able to paracute to safety however the general in charge of the program was secretly shot for embezzling funds, getting three secretaries pregnant and for being so daft as to think this was a viable project in the first place!

Ok, hope you got a laugh out of it.

Joe

Edited by bjtpro

Damn..Gimme another guess. A LOT of blind drivers! Super easy turns! All blind drivers and the pilot and trailing trucks are supporting it all.

Its only Flanged Drivers...

The...flanges...umm. I give up xD Cant wait for pictures!

I never said all the wheels had to be connected by 1 push rod.

And I only have a poorly drawn blueprint and one test of the wheels...

Yeah my brain is thinking about this way too much.

:cry2: Think Spitfire, Think! And I'd love to see if Sava had an awnser for a 2-16-4 locomotive with only flanged drivers? Hint Hint...

Also I am not posting any new locomoives until at least 3 are built.

:cry2: Think Spitfire, Think! And I'd love to see if Sava had an awnser for a 2-16-4 locomotive with only flanged drivers? Hint Hint...

Also I am not posting any new locomoives until at least 3 are built.

Every 2 axles are articulated? This is my final guess as I just give up now XD

Every 2 axles are articulated? This is my final guess as I just give up now XD

every 1 axel is on a joint system to it moves like a snake , so you can have nearly impossible loading gauges like 2-16-6 or 2-32-6.

I already said that a while ago.

In a way I got it right. So Victory to Spit! :tongue:

:hmpf_bad: ...

Also maybe we could hold some sort of gathering of weird and wack Steam Locomotive MOC's here on the fourms?

Just one rule. (screams) NO BUILDING MY CRAMPTON LCOMOTIVE! :cry2: Well I'll ask the one of the Moderators if I can.