Sign in to follow this  
CMP

Heroica RPG - Quest #51: A Shanty for Science

8005098882_33a1ee8ace_t.jpg

"Hmm. Well, raw compensation don't mean much to a dwarf, I've lived my life surrounded by rock filled with it, hah! No, but I'll tell you what. We'll play a little game, eh? You put up 10 coins, I'll throw in a nice bottle of Mulled Wine. Throw in 20, I'll toss in one of my famous Greasy Sausages instead. Sound good?"

To explain, if you bet 1 to 9 coins, he'll match it. Bet 10, he'll instead wager Mulled Wine. Bet 11 to 19 coins, his bet will be 1 to 9 coins plus the wine. Bet 20, you get a Greasy Sausage instead of wine or coins.

"Great!"

Melvin sets the coins on the counter, and top of them he places a delicious sausage.

heroica-greasysausage.jpgGreasy Sausage - (Raises maximum health by 2 permanently.)

He then pulls a beaten, slightly rotted box from underneath the counter, opening it up. Inside is a set of miniatures and a tiny model of the legendary Castle Fortaan.

"First edition, heh. Let's play some Heroica!"

7999109928_fbb9624244_z.jpg

Basically, you just post 3 battle orders, each order containing one of each class, then I'll compare them to mine and see who wins the battle.

Battle Order 1:

Cleric

Knight

Ranger

Barbarian

Mage

Rogue

Battle Order 2:

Ranger

Barbarian

Mage

Knight

Rogue

Cleric

Battle Order 3:

Knight

Mage

Ranger

Barbarian

Rogue

Cleric

OOC: Did understand and I do it right?

Yep. :sweet:

PREPARE FOR BATTLE!

Round One

Heroes vs Forces of Evil

Cleric vs Knight - Nothing happens!

Knight vs Rogue - Evil wins!

Ranger vs Mage - Evil wins!

Barbarian vs Ranger - Evil wins!

Mage vs Barbarian - Nothing happens!

Rogue vs Cleric - Evil wins!

The battle goes terrible for the heroes. The Cleric cannot penetrate the Knight's armor, and heals himself whenever attacked, neither able to gain an advantage. The vile Rogue dispatches the heroic Knight with ease. The malicious Mage consumes the friendly Ranger in an inferno of hellfire, while his evil counterpart nails the good Barbarian from twenty feet away. The wise Mage and cruel Barbarian cannot best one another, and the evil Cleric converts the Rogue to his side.

EVIL IS VICTORIOUS!

Round Two

Heroes vs Forces of Evil

Ranger vs Rogue - Nothing happens!

Barbarian vs Cleric - Heroes win!

Mage vs Mage - Nothing happens!

Knight vs Barbarian - Heroes win!

Rogue vs Ranger - Nothing happens!

Cleric vs Knight - Nothing happens!

The second round goes battle. While everyone else engages in fruitless duels, the good Barbarian finds strength, sending the opposing Cleric spiraling away. The enemy Barbarian is furious, but his blows do nothing to the heroic Knight's shield; once exhausted from his effort, the Knight valiantly drives his sword through his foe.

HEROES ARE VICTORIOUS!

Round Three

Heroes vs Forces of Evil

Knight vs Barbarian - Heroes win!

Mage vs Mage - Nothing happens!

Ranger vs Knight - Evil wins!

Barbarian vs Rogue - Heroes win!

Rogue vs Cleric - Evil wins!

Cleric vs Ranger - Evil wins!

The evil Barbarians retries his strategy with the same result. The Mages are locked in a battle of wits. The destructive Knight laughs as the good Ranger's arrows splinter on his armor, and he's quickly overwhelmed by greatsword. The heroic Barbarian throws the cruel Rogue halfway across the battle, but his friendlier twin brother remains under the vile Cleric's spell, while the good one is riddled with arrows.

EVIL IS ULTIMATELY VICTORIOUS!

Melvin scoops up Thalion's coins and the sausage, while the mage's imaginary forces lay scattered about the game board.

"That was quite the game, master elf, ye had my teeth on edge that last round! Care to play again?"

Edited by CallMePie

8005134320_82b1ff7393_t.jpg

"Nor am I. I'll explain to you in the simplest and most familiar terms I can; I am the stitches to this wound of a ship."

"Ah. Is there perhaps anything I can do to aid you in that task? And say, what book was that you were reading? I'm always interested in exploring new branches of magical ability," Arthur says, indicating his Lens and his vast array of Scrolls, as well as his collection of Gems, which had grown somewhat larger than even he had expected. Arthur quitely nudges De'kra, hoping the Assassin would use his cloak to judge Jules' combat prowess, just in case they had to enter battle alongisde--or even against--the man.

"Not at the moment. This book is one of many tomes I've collected over the years. I find it unlikely to interest you in a way that wouldn't disgust you, unfortunately."

He shifts the book in his hand(s), and Arthur notices his left is actually but a chunk of wood carved in the likeness of one.

Edited by CallMePie

"Well played master Melvin, that's why I don't gamble. That was my first and last time. Still, I would love to have tried your specialty..." Says Thalion with a slight sadness on his face, more then usual for an elf.

Edited by -obelix-

"Not at the moment. This book is one of many tomes I've collected over the years. I find it unlikely to interest you in a way that wouldn't disgust you, unfortunately."

He shifts the book in his hand(s), and Arthur notices his left is actually but a chunk of wood carved in the likeness of one.

Arthur grins wickedly. "Try me." :devil:

Arthur waves the rest of the party onward. "Go on, I'll catch up."

"Very well. This is a copy of Helvetia and You: The Undead Acolyte's Pocket Guide. I am researching possible workarounds to Helvetia's Kiss. It's a ritual that involves pledging a part of your mortal whole to the Lady Frostheart. I was once a member of the Cold Circle. It's a group of...fanatatics, at best, devoting themselves to Helvetia. Black rituals were commonplace, as it was said that those in her favor would be granted a place at her side. Most had immortality in mind. Others just wanted to further their power over the undead. My reasons...I will keep to myself. I will tell you that a few years ago, I came to my senses and fled. Few would want the services of a crippled sorcerer, but Illdria holds ill judgment on nobody. Most of my wounds were...self-inflicted during my time as a heretic. Unfortunately, I had not escaped entirely unscathed, and am immune to healing by normal, clerical means."

Edited by CallMePie

Arthur was forcibly impressed. "I've had more than a minor dalliance in the...less popular forms of magick myself; I have considerable experience in the Zootist forms, namely Chaos magick. The full tale is too long and too tragic for mixed company, but if we ever get the chance to speak alone I promise I'll give you the full tale. I'd be happy to brainstorm ideas for your own problem as well; I'm somewhat unfamiliar with Helvetic rituals myself, but perhaps a fusion of several schools of magick could provide a means to circumvent the problem. A copy of the Ars Helvetica might be helpful as well." Arthur pauses for a moment. "'I must say, I'm more than a little impressed by your captain; she seems fair in every sense of the word. If I ever decided to quit my current job, you think she'd have a place for another spellcaster?"

OOC: That's an invitation for the others to sneakily try to overhear at that later time, if they want to. :wink:

"Yes, I've heard of cults who hold both divinities in high regard, often using one to favor the other...yes, I'm sure Illdria would be happy to have you on board. If I had not met her or joined this crew, it's highly unlikely my life would be as comfortable as it is, as to many, I may as well be a necromancer."

"Indeed, if the full story of my past was known, I myself might find it difficult to get work. A gig with a crew like this would be my only shot..."

"Speaking of which--I do have a job right now, and I'd best get back to it. We should definitely talk later, though." Arthur follows the rest of the party onward.

IC: De'kra continues on to the cargohold, hoping that they had followed the right ship. If that had been in error, valuable time would be lost. And De'kra knew full well how destructive robots can be if under the wrong hands. Science and technology were wonderful things, but their users rarely were so.

As he walked De'kra asked Arthur, "Your ancestors knew little of I world, right? Did word Bohrok ever come up?"

OOC: It probably would have come up, given what we discussed through private messages starting on the 16th of August. That is in fact what "they" might have called themselves.

Most likely, yes. Also, here is a link to the post with the pic of the Bio Beast--actually, if you still have your Bionicle parts it'd be awesome to see a Bionicle interpretation. :wink:

Arthur looks up in surprise. "Yes, indeed, B'rakk is a term we used for some of our ancient mechanical creations. No one really knows how to power them anymore, and according to my grandfather they look nothing like the real thing. He said they looked like bugs and could roll into spheres for quick travel and compact storage. There's even a suit of armor in the Museum that tried to copy some of those features, but like the B'rakk, no one knows how to use it anymore. The technology came from an ancient plague that once ravaged our people--Bio Beasts that were a fusion of infected humans, biomechanical machinery, and raw Chaotic power." Arthur's voice lowers as he confides in De'kra. "I, uh...when I was much, much younger, my friends and I accidentally summoned one...and years later, just before I was exiled, another one appeared." His visage was troubled. "I wonder if my people face a new plague now...no, surely not. Caroline AND Vaygas both left, and Vaygas is Captain of the Guard, he wouldn't have left if my land was in danger..."

The heroes head on down to the cargo hold. As soon as they step off the ladder, they come to an unexpected sight.

8004591538_3e9cd77ec9.jpg

8004588447_d7d5443691_t.jpg

"Er, hi. Melvin mentioned we had passengers...? What is it you need?"

Edited by CallMePie

Arthur decides to let Thalion have the first word, and ask his own questions afterward.

Edited by Flipz

"Greetings! Yes, you have been informed correctly, we are traveling together. We have come here to check up on the cargo."

"Because we have been ordered to. And before you ask, we do have captain's permission. Would you be so kind as to let us pass?"

IC: De'kra looked troubled and whispered to Arthur, "I know of Bohrok, they are from I homeworld. I...I hope you not harm them. They...they were once alive, some of villagers of I people. Well, not organic life, they were made of woven flesh and metal, like all of I people. We...it long story, but we were literally made by we gods, Great Beings. Majority of I people not transform, others will turn into heroes. But then some become Bohrok. They loose their identities, memories, personalities, they become machines. From then on they have only one job, to strip surface island bare and return it to how it was. Those who resist would be mind control to help, and then sent away to underground islands. It...it very complicate, but it make sense in context why Bohrok must clean surface island. Reason the Bohrok not work is probably be ause they lack Krana. Krana are parasites that can control Bohrok, and I people. They are ones who make Bohrok clean island. I...even though they no longer alive, I really not like to think of them mutilate. Some people once found them and not knew they were once people and...took them apart, before convert them into vehicles. It very sick."

Edited by Tanma

"Uh, I don't...er...."

"...we have a....a spider problem. And, uh, I haven't asked Jules to get rid of them yet - b-because he's terrified of them. They're infesting all the crates. And stuff. So I was going to get a professional spider-wrangle in Babeleth to get rid of them once we got there."

"We would be happy to help you get rid of spiders, since they would make our task harder anyway. Do you need some help?"

"...Yeah, uh, this sword's just for decoration...I can't really...strictly...fight, you see...."