Sign in to follow this  
fhomess

My Mafia Game

Inspired by some of the games I've recently played here at Eurobricks, I asked around at another site I'm a part of to see if people would be interested in a Mafia game over there. There was enough interest to get it going, with some newbies and some with past experience. Since I decided to tell the story through Lego, I figured it would be acceptable to post about it here. Many thanks to Hinckley and def for giving me some advice about balance in a newbie friendly 11-player game.

The_Stadium_Lockdown.jpg

Relevant threads:

Mafia! The Stadium Lockdown: C&D Thread

Day 1 Thread

Day 2 Thread

Day 3 Thread

Conclusion

About the PEBA

The Planetary Extreme Baseball Alliance, or PEBA, is a simulation baseball league that runs off the Out of the Park Baseball (OOTP) simulator. The story of the PEBA is that greed and corruption led to the demise of Major League Baseball, but the game of baseball was strong enough to come back in the form of the PEBA. Due to territorial rights disputes, all the PEBA teams are located in cities that did not previously have a major league team when the PEBA was founded in 2007. I encourage you to look around the website and check out some of the great articles that have been written about the fictional world we've created. The off-topic forum, where this game is hosted, is also a fascinating place for discussion of a variety of topics. I believe that forum registration is by invite only, so if you have any interest in joining, let me know and I'll connect you with the commissioner. Otherwise, you should be able to browse as a guest.

Edited by fhomess

It looks very interesting and quite fitting, so I'll be following this one.

Day 1 has finished with player agent Bob Scorat being the first player eliminated.

From my observations, this game has had tremendous role playing from everyone involved. Each player has really taken their character to heart. I think this is, in part, due to the fact that the setting is something they all can relate to, but there's also an element of wanting to partake in the story as much as playing the game. I'd encourage both new and experienced EB Mafia players to read this and see how much it is adding to the game experience.

It has challenged me to question why I play the game, and whether or not winning is as important to me as creating a fun world during the game. Both are valid approaches.

It looks great, it's always good to see new players and new hosts!

One thing I'd recommend in the future is knowing that the EB rules of mafia aren't the standard rules of mafia; they've evolved over time here, but you can feel free to change or tweak them as you see fit. For your first game hosting, it's fair to keep them as is though :wink:

Good job!

Day 3 is up, see first post for the link.

One thing I'd recommend in the future is knowing that the EB rules of mafia aren't the standard rules of mafia; they've evolved over time here, but you can feel free to change or tweak them as you see fit. For your first game hosting, it's fair to keep them as is though :wink:

Yeah, I wanted to go with something I was reasonably confident might work for the group I'm dealing with, although I did make some fairly minor modifications. My biggest concern was how much chatter would end up going into it, and I think that was well founded. There has been positive feedback, so people are having fun with it even if they're not as fanatical about it as EB players.

One thing I'm learning... hosting is fun but a lot of work! I hadn't built Rick's office or Marcy's suite until they were needed. Flexibility is good, but I'd rather have had a few more of my sets ready to go beforehand.

Edited by fhomess

Conclusion is up.

Nice! It's good to see you gave full feedback and everyone had fun. Mafia seems to be a strong meme on forums, and it's cool to see the LEGO version of it to be extra appealing.

Sign in to follow this