Sign in to follow this  
Eilif

Industrial building ground floors for Brickington

Here's a pair of modules that used to be fixed items on my Brickington layout. They were both made for 16x16 modules to fit on top, but I wanted them to be modular and movable as well. While I was at it I added a few details. Basically the limitation with the modules I use on the layout is that for the most part they have to be entirely flat on the sides so that they can be placed side by side with other modules.

Blue factory. It's a pretty plain building, but the color scheme "pops", and it looks really good amongst other Market Street modules. I really like the way the lamps turned out on this one.

dk_blue_factory.jpg

Tan Factory. the fences on the balcony all fit on the window sills inside the building so they don't get lost when transporting to train shows. I'm going to be working more balconies and fire escapes into modules I build from now on. This is the module that my 2 surf shop modules are usually on top of.

tan_factory_front.jpg

Though they will usually be ground floor modules they are of course stackable. But what's that emerging from the ground floor...

hearse_emerges.jpg

Yep it's a Hearse. Pretty much the black car from Shanghi Chase with flaps in front of the front tires, a modified rear end and a few other details.

indy_hearse.jpg

A hearse has to have a coffin.

casket.jpg

Sadly TLG's Re-Release of the pirates line has resulted in a pirate casualty rate unseen since the late 1990's. :pir-cry_sad:

indy_hearse_loading.jpg

Sending a mate off on his final voyage in style.

load_the_hearse.jpg

Accept the melancholy moment. It's cathartic.

Great job with both factories. I like the colour scheme of the first quite a lot, because it's a simple building, yet it looks so striking. The second one with the Heatse reminds me of a scene from Johnny English. :laugh:

I eagerly await photos of these modules in your layout. :classic:

Very nice work mate. :thumbup:

I really like the tan factory. The arch windows on the side are a nice touch as are the windows right next to the door. Love the use of the inverted 1x6 arches to support the balcony, it looks like they are architecturally necessary which is hard to achieve in LEGO.

I feel the blue one needs something to break up the monotony of the side walls (windows perhaps?). The colour scheme is very well chosen but it looks like a prison cell to me!

Great job with the Factory!!!
Great modular designs :thumbup:

An funny burial scene :tongue:

Thanks! I'm glad you all like it.

Great job with both factories. I like the colour scheme of the first quite a lot, because it's a simple building, yet it looks so striking. The second one with the Heatse reminds me of a scene from Johnny English. :laugh:

I eagerly await photos of these modules in your layout. :classic:

Thanks. I think the first bilding is a great example of the newer color palete opening new horizons. Old blue just wouldn't have looked right, but dark blue really fits the "industrial" look.

I've been covering the expansion of Brickington in segments, but sometime this year, probably after Brickworld, I'll try and do a thread showing how it has changed overall. It's really grown alot in the past year.

I really like the tan factory. The arch windows on the side are a nice touch as are the windows right next to the door. Love the use of the inverted 1x6 arches to support the balcony, it looks like they are architecturally necessary which is hard to achieve in LEGO.

I feel the blue one needs something to break up the monotony of the side walls (windows perhaps?). The colour scheme is very well chosen but it looks like a prison cell to me!

The tan one is my favorite of the two also. I'm undecided as to what to do with the blue building. The front and back look good to me, but as it is usually placed at the end of a sidestreet, the sides are rarely visible except from the rear of the layout. However the same holds true for the tan building, and it got side windows. Perhaps the blue building just needs some "block glass" windows in the form of 1x2 trans brick?