TheNerdyOne_

LL-984 Galactic Spearhead

32894857565_1989b022a0_b.jpg

The LL-984 is a top of the line exploration vessel designed for deep space missions.  The first vessel of its size in the fleet, the Galactic Spearhead proved vital to exploration efforts, and aided in the discovery and colonization of many new worlds before the design was finally retired.  The ships carried supplies vital for the creation of new bases, and were the main method of transporting that supplies to new planets.  The LL-984 is also outfitted with a wide array of sensors, which help the crew learn as much as they can about new planetary bodies of space phenomena without having to risk investigating themselves.  

More pictures of the exterior:

Spoiler

32854058686_58b45c2cce_b.jpg

32052216094_f3324af83e_b.jpg

32854058486_6eea81b2e0_b.jpg

32052215824_33eb01dabb_b.jpg

The ship also carries 8 small 1-person Space Scooters, as well as one 2-person Space Scooter should the crew need to venture outside of the ship.  The ship also has a large landing pad on the top, which can be used by ships to transfer supplies or passengers.  The stock Galactic Spearhead can support a crew of 29, though the ship is often modified by the captain so this number can vary.

Pictures of the interior:

Spoiler

32052215774_57d0ebd1be_b.jpg

32052215644_f00da68ac4_b.jpg

32052215524_e34c0b5581_b.jpg

32854058146_99c1ba3e70_b.jpg

32052215344_375d4bfdbe_b.jpg

32052215224_57a5a43ce5_b.jpg

The lead ship of this class, the Tip of the Spear, was built in preparation for the first expedition to another solar system.  The mission was a huge success, and Tip of the Spear continued to serve for almost 50 years before it met its untimely demise.  The fate of the ship remains a mystery, contact was lost with it while on an exploration mission to deep space.  When Federation forces arrived at the ship's last known location, it was nowhere to be found.  A survey of nearby planets yielded no results.  Many theories have been suggested to explain the ship's fate.  Some believe it accidentally entered a wormhole and ended up on the other side of the galaxy, others believe that the crew defected and has gone rogue, and some have suggested the ship was captured by either pirates or an undiscovered alien faction.  There are sightings of the ship reported every once in a while, but so far these have been dismissed as false.  Regardless of what happened, Tip of the Spear has become a legend, and will not soon be forgotten.

Tip of the Spear's sister ship, Pathfinder, is currently located in orbit of Mars at the Federation Museum of Early Exploration.

Fantastic design!  The scale reminds me of the Star Wars Super Star Destroyer flanked by the other ships in the fleet.  

Now this is super impressive. I can see some similarities with a star destroyer as well, but since the classic space ships were often wedge-shaped (which its by itself likely inspired by star wars^^), that is totally fine. The interior looks very good as well and transport the busy space-age atmosphere of the exterior perfectly. If it would been minifig-scale, it would been perfect, but then it would likely be car-sized I guess! :wink:

I like the over all design and interior detailing.  It has the feel of a forward deployed "sea basing" ship that that relies on smaller craft to ferry men and materials down to planetary outposts. It seems like there should be an airlock near the forward landing pad so the explorers and space cruisers can load people and materials from the holds.

The forward platform seems like there wants to be more structure extending from the lower deck crew quarters.  A ship this size, with a large crew, would require a lot of space devoted to engineering to house the powerplant, life support, and stores for consumables (fuel, food, water, etc) and that would be a good place for those kind of spaces. The engine array feels like it should be larger for a ship of this size.

Great build, thanks for sharing.

-drc

Thanks for the feedback everyone!  However, I just realized I forgot to add, the design is based off of this old image from a 1984 LEGOLAND book: 

Galactic Spearhead

On 2/15/2017 at 1:02 PM, TheNerdyOne_ said:

Thanks for the feedback everyone!  However, I just realized I forgot to add, the design is based off of this old image from a 1984 LEGOLAND book:

Whoa, I didn't even realize that was the basis for your creation when I first discovered it LEGO Ideas! Speaking of which...

LEGO Ideas - Galactic Spearhead

5978208-o_1d0196pbdu3ko8l3t55vm1rfo1b-thumbnail-full.png

11 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Whoa, I didn't even realize that was the basis for your creation when I first discovered it LEGO Ideas! Speaking of which...

LEGO Ideas - Galactic Spearhead

Yes it was!  Thanks for the link, I should probably get around to updating this thread with the new version here soon.  Hopefully with a physical model!