Pchan1983

Which factory did your LEGO set come from?

n some countries, your lego sets have a local label to tell you where did your set come from. (e.g. Lego sets bought from Shanghai lego store has a label indicating they are from the new jiaxing factory).

However, in New Zealand we don't have such labels.  Is there anyway to tell which distribution centre/factory did the set come from?

On the lego website, I saw this https://www.lego.com/en-US/service/help-topics/fun-for-fans/behind-the-scenes/brick-facts/manufacturing-codes about the code to identify your set's origin but it doesn't tell you how to identify the origin.

From recent observations, most boxes/labels just say made in here, here, here, or here (may as well say made on Planet Earth since they're so non-specific), but the collectible minifigures only say china.

I wanted to know because I wonder if our region is now getting sets from the new China factory or still from Europe.

I doubt there's a way to know aside from seeing the shipping box it came in. I saw Target getting ready to restock the shelves and saw some Star Wars sets in a shipping box that said from China and the sticker on the box indicated which Star Wars set it was.

I think the bricks themselves have a tiny imprint of what I'm guessing is the part # and # indicating position on the injection mold for troubleshooting.

If you're curious, the factory codes are located either on the tape that seals the box, or if it is a small box that is glued shut the code is stamped into the box, usually near the barcode.

32033793051_2d06345c4f_b.jpg32033824501_89bce39310_b.jpg 

Is there a listing of what each code represents?

Also, if you're interested in what's made where, check out the National Geographic Megafactories documentary about Lego. It's really good to watch. It seems like the bricks are molded in Denmark (?) and then painted in Czech Republic and distributed from there or from Denmark to Mexico. Some bags are filled by machine and some things are packed by bare hands or gloved hands.

52 minutes ago, BubbaFit45531 said:

Is there a listing of what each code represents?

Also, if you're interested in what's made where, check out the National Geographic Megafactories documentary about Lego. It's really good to watch. It seems like the bricks are molded in Denmark (?) and then painted in Czech Republic and distributed from there or from Denmark to Mexico. Some bags are filled by machine and some things are packed by bare hands or gloved hands.

I just found this:

http://bricks.stackexchange.com/questions/7014/what-does-the-4-digit-number-embossed-on-my-lego-set-represent

In brief:

The first two numbers are the week of the year.

The letter is the country.

The last number is the last number of the year of production.

The letter codes are:

H = Nyíregyháza, Hungary
R = Ciénega de Flores, Mexico
S = Kladno, Czech Republic
Q = Purkersdorf, Austria
B = Shenzhen, China (Not Confirmed)
M = Billund, Denmark (Not Confirmed) 
O = Billund, Denmark (Not Confirmed) 
Edited by 62Bricks
Updated

Disclaimer, I am not an "enterprising LEGO fan" per se... I just happen to have logistics and production run knowledge to figure what those numbers are exactly. I'm sharing what I know but take it with a grain of salt because I haven't peeked inside LEGO's production system (and even if I did, I won't tell). Some people already dabbled what those codes are because there is a pattern.  

That code is not exactly the plant code. It appears to be a production code or a batch number for the packaging. For CMF boxes with 3 numbers, the first digit could be the exact day of that week or the production run number and the last 2 digits would be the week of the year. For other sets with 2 numbers it is just the week number. The letter stands for the country/region or the plant designation while the last digit is the year the set was produced.

For example in Batman CMF box - 543B6 

5 = probably the 5th day or 5th production run
43 = 43rd week of that year
B = plant/region where it was made
6 = year 2016

Another example from an older set, Pirate Chess - 49O4

49 = 49th week of that year
O = plant/region where it was made
4 = year 2014

As for the plant/region code -

B = China - confirmed as it is in all CMF boxes
H = Hungary
G = ?
M = Denmark (not confirmed) 
O = Denmark (not confirmed) 
Q = Austria?
R = Mexico
S = Czech Republic
T = China? (found it from City Stationery set where components were only made from China) 

Edited by makoy
corrected the CMF box reference :)

Interesting. Thanks for the codes.

30303 Joker Bumper Car polybag stamped 01R5
30279 Kylo Shuttle polybag stamped 27R6
30522 Batman Phantom Zone polybag stamped 46R6 Mexico?

^ All bought from Target recently.

71013 CMF Series 16 from Target & Kmart 617B6 & 323B6
71017 Batman CMF from Lego Store 345B6

^ China (label only lists China)

71215 LD Jay 25R5 box lists Denmark, Hungary, Mexico, Taiwan, Czech Republic
71238 LD Cyberman 42R5
71285 LD Marceline 36R6

Edited by BubbaFit45531

Thanks for all the replies.  This is actually very interesting.  Most of my recent purchases from retail locally is having the plant/region code as "G".  Otherwise it has mostly "S" in the past. 

6 hours ago, makoy said:

54 = 54th week of that year
3 = probably the 3rd day or 3rd production run

I suspect it's the other way around unless they base their accounting callendar on a martian solar cycle :)

having a CMF with 616B6 in front of me I would guess 6th day, 16th week.

49 minutes ago, Giantorange said:

I suspect it's the other way around unless they base their accounting callendar on a martian solar cycle :)

having a CMF with 616B6 in front of me I would guess 6th day, 16th week.

LOL. Good one. I have amended my post. Clearly I haven't had any of those boxes that would indicate they never used Martian Calendar in production in China.  

8 hours ago, makoy said:

That code is not exactly the plant code. It appears to be a production code or a batch number for the packaging. For CMF boxes with 3 numbers, the first digit could be the exact day of that week or the production run number and the last 2 digits would be the week of the year. For other sets with 2 numbers it is just the week number. The letter stands for the country/region or the plant designation while the last digit is the year the set was produced.

5 = probably the 5th day or 5th production run
43 = 43rd week of that year
B = plant/region where it was made
6 = year 2016

Another example from an older set, Pirate Chess - 49O4

49 = 49th week of that year
O = plant/region where it was made
4 = year 2014

As for the plant/region code -

B = China - confirmed as it is in all CMF boxes
H = Hungary
G = ?
M = Denmark (not confirmed) 
O = Denmark (not confirmed) 
Q = Austria?
R = Mexico
S = Czech Republic

Of course - this makes perfect sense.

Regarding the M code, I have a polybag that lists parts made in Denmark and Hungary which is code 46M1

I added plant/country designation T which I found from City Space Port stationery set where the components are entirely made in China based on the packaging.

I wasn't tracking these codes from my polybags; and then when I did just now, I realise that all the recent Star Wars polybags with minifigures I have are made from China. I have opened a couple of them and if truth be told, they aren't "cheap" China plastic at all.

Stormtrooper Sergeant - 43B4*
C-3PO (with red arm) - 23B5**
First Order General - 46B5^
Rebel A-Wing Pilot - 15B6***

* components made in Hungary and China
** components made in Denmark, Mexico and China (seriously, 3 parts from 3 different countries?)
*** components made in Mexico and China
^ components made in China

Individual parts like the blaster already moulded or the clothe for the pauldrons are possibly imported as components or parts needed for the bill of materials needed to complete a set or polybag. TLG can move around raw materials (a lot of companies do this for different reasons) so components can be packaged in China even if they originated from other factories like Denmark or Mexico as seen from the examples above.

13 minutes ago, makoy said:

Individual parts like the blaster already moulded or the clothe for the pauldrons are possibly imported as components or parts needed for the bill of materials needed to complete a set or polybag. TLG can move around raw materials (a lot of companies do this for different reasons) so components can be packaged in China even if they originated from other factories like Denmark or Mexico as seen from the examples above.

I think this is pretty common. The letter code probably just indicates where everything was put into the package.

I think "g" is the new china factory too.  All recent shipments even the newer version of older sets used to be "s" now with "g".

J seen on duplo items - definitely china.

X seen on Axl torso (nexo knights).

N, U, V - seen on duplo train bases.

310P1 - girl from 5646.

Just received my S@H order, Assembly Square, Arkham Asylum and Joker's lowrider.  They are all with "S" region.  I guess S@H warehouse is still using the European warehouse for New Zealand.  I cannot check the same sets selling in retail yet because they are not released until late FEB but looks like so far S@H is still shipping from Europe despite all other retail sets in NZ are getting the "G" region factory packed sets.

Does anyone know which factory 'A' originates from? It's found on LEGO Dimensions Starter Pack boxes.