cehnot

[MOC] Revenge of the TIE Fighter

In the pursuit of modifying my TIE Fighter I decided to completely redo it from the ground up. I wanted to streamline the ball and round pillars connecting the wings and ball cockpit. 

How I made the cockpit: The whole piece is a mirror of itself. That makes it completely centered. This also allowed me to do the ion cannons at the bottom tighter to the body and allowed for the "curved bottom instead of a rectangle shape.
Stability and durability is unsure as of now. 

Feel free to check it out and let me know if I am doing something that greatly hinders the durability. 
TIE Fighter LDD file 12/23/16

ehnot_TIE-Fighter_cockpit_14.jpg

ehnot_TIE-Fighter_cockpit_13.jpg

ehnot_TIE-Fighter_cockpit_12.jpg

I am not happy with the wings. I do like the connections and how it's shape now mirrors the hexagon wing. 
ehnot_TIE-Fighter_cockpit_15.jpg

Great work bud. I'm gonna  have a play around with your ideas over Christmas to see how well it works. One potential issue that's apparent is the wing/pylon connection - placing it inside the wing as per lego's recent models  may sort this.

5 hours ago, belkor said:

Great work bud. I'm gonna  have a play around with your ideas over Christmas to see how well it works. One potential issue that's apparent is the wing/pylon connection - placing it inside the wing as per lego's recent models  may sort this.

I know it works for the other TIE fighters I seen use this technique, but the center was thicker. I may have sacrificed strength. 

Cockpit is similar to my updated one I did on All in the Reflexes model. I placed that link on my. Bricksafe page as well. 

2 hours ago, All in the Reflexes said:

Wow thats a really nice model, proportions look spot on!

I like fitting my basic cockpit design in it, just uncertain about the strength of it. The roomy feel inside is gone since I needed the sides to build the strength for the pylons. It's really weird how the ball is held together. The brackets and 1x1 with knobs are what hold it all together. The brackets inside the cockpit lock the top and bottom together as well as the 2x3 plates on the back. 

LEGO needs 2 sided knobs for their plates. That would ensure all the strength I need. 

I am fairly happy with it, just need to build it and test. But first my X-Wing parts are almost all here and I need to get that completed. 

Beautiful MOC.  I especially like the plyon's 2-sided SNOT effect.  They're accurate without being too bulky -- just the right amount of LEGO blockiness.  I'll have to check out your LDD to see how you did that.

Hi !

Glad to sse that you picked up some elements from my own TIE Fighter ;)
Yours looks much more accurate than mine, especially the wing pylons ! But I don't know if the connection between the cockpit ball and the pylons will be strong enough to support the wing's weight. Look like it will be a display model only and will not mean to be swooshable.

Keep up the great work ! Your models are awesome ! ;)

Ramses25

5 hours ago, Ramses25 said:

Hi !

Glad to sse that you picked up some elements from my own TIE Fighter ;)
Yours looks much more accurate than mine, especially the wing pylons ! But I don't know if the connection between the cockpit ball and the pylons will be strong enough to support the wing's weight. Look like it will be a display model only and will not mean to be swooshable.

Keep up the great work ! Your models are awesome ! ;)

Ramses25

that is why I need to get the parts to test it. I worry about that as well. 

12 minutes ago, cehnot said:

that is why I need to get the parts to test it. I worry about that as well. 

Are you bricklinking them/getting them anytime soon?

On January 2, 2017 at 2:08 PM, VaderFan2187 said:

Are you bricklinking them/getting them anytime soon?

I will sometime this month. I just got my last order for my X-Wing.