Sign in to follow this  
Daiman

Bantha CUUSOO (Updated!)

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

8358669321_6259e1ea11_z.jpg

Once again I am interested in comments about the beast design, especially with this Bantha.

Have I strayed too far from the Lego mold or does it fit in.

Sometimes when designing this type of thing it's hard to know when you cross the line with regard to what you want to see and what is appropriate.

8359734124_8d672a7e16_z.jpg

Anyhow feedback welcome both here and on Flickr.

Oh and for voters...

http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/33164

8369283328_e9b544a65b_z.jpg

Updated Concept based on feedback, thanks all.

I do agree that the animal is a bit too cartoony; also the saddle has studs, but is further not really compatible with other LEGO pieces; I'd just use the horse / tauntaun / cow / dewback variant where the hole in the back is filled up with 'standard' bricks instead of this new mould...

Love the idea though, so naturally I supported :-)

This is a great idea and the presentation is excellent, well done! :thumbup:

I'm probably a bit of a Lego purist so, for me, the Bantha is far too 'cartoony'. Have you considered making the body with a series of sections, or including standard elements in the design (possibly the top of the back)? The official dewback model was very good, perhaps you could take some pointers from that?

Cheers, Robin :classic:

Thanks to all you guys for the feedback, it's really important to my design sense.

With the common issue of the Bantha being cartoony I can't disagree.

It is of my opinion that the lego minifig world is rather Chibi and that something of this ilk suits.

That being said I think that TLG would probably apply their sensibilities to this project should it get 10 000 votes (and in the case that it doesn't).

The saddle would be , in final design that to accommodate two standard 2x2 slope bricks on each side to fill the gap in the case there is no rider.

The horse saddles are only compatible with a two stud wide model and so a new solution would be needed.

The model is made of 11 sections which are the horns, 4 legs, the leg hub, 3 tail sections and the main body mold.

With the mouth part yes rather large but it did seem appropriate at the time with a little lol from me.

Please note that I a only commenting on the time I had and not defending as it may seem when I address all of the issues at once.

I do thank everyone for taking the time to comment and since Lego now own the idea in embryo I am sure they will produce a worthy Bantha with or without this.

I'll be saying the exact same thing as the other posters regarding the cartoonish looks, the saddle, the mouth...

I think you should place clips on both side to attach the bags or any other existing weapon/accesories.

The bantha is a great idea, but could it have elephant feet? I thought they dressed up real elephants in the movie. Whatever, it's cool either way.

I would buy me a few sets of these! nice work!

And oh yeah good job with the horns on the tusken raiders (darth maul-style)

Edited by Borex

You have my vote too. On top of its cool design, it obviously has Tusken Raiders too and I would buy anything I could to get them in my collection. I missed them when they came out with the Ep II sets. As with the Jawas, I don't understand why Lego is being so stingy with such iconic Star Wars characters...

Edited by chemistry master

Being a SW OT fan I realy would love to see an "official" Lego bantha (and a new dewback for that matter), so I can only applaud your attempt Daiman.

However, to my taste you have gone to far with your design. It is not bad, maybe a bit cartoonish like others mentioned before, but apart from the studs of the saddle, I spot no Lego vibe at all when looking at your renderings of the animal... I am sorry.

In fact, I am even convinced that a bantha lends itself perfectly for being brickbuild. ( I have seen some nice MOCs in the past), eventually tuned up with some new molds for the horns and tail piece based on your design.

Nice work on designing the Bantha. Very cool stuff. Even if the cuusoo project fails, I think it might be possible that LEGO releases a set with a bantha.

Supported!

Greetings

-Bane

You forgot the elephants trunk

Ha , don't worry its under there.

Being a SW OT fan I realy would love to see an "official" Lego bantha ...

Right that's it your off my Xmas list!

Kidding, This thing was always going to be over the line in the sand for a few just like the rancor release.

But don't forget that this is only a visual and you would actually be voting for TLG version.

Thanks for all of the comments folks I will definately take them on board.

I really wanted to post the bantha here in production but didn't want to waste any one time viewers without a CUUSOO link to click.

Maybe next time I will have to chance it.

When I get time I will see if modifying the 'Donald Duck' mouth helps any and maybe flattening the side like the regular creatures TLG produces.

This set looks great; I would buy it if I had the chance. However, I think LEGO would print the bantha's mouth, rather than create a new piece that seems to be hidden to some degree under the animal's fur. I love the use of Darth Maul headpieces on the Tusken Raiders, though!

Good work, Daiman!

I thought they dressed up real elephants in the movie. Whatever, it's cool either way.a13.jpgk2.jpg

LOL jynx! you said the same thing as me.

I love the use of Darth Maul headpieces on the Tusken Raiders, though!

I didn't notice that first time I looked at it. That's brilliant!