Sign in to follow this  
C LoS

9v Transformer Replacement

I just rebuilt my old load and haul but am missing the transformer for the speed regulator. The regulator itself doesn't say anything about what amp's it can take. I know the side says 9v-12v. I plugged in two transformers from a hard drive and a router that output 9v with either 200mA or 1000mA. Both run the train, but the motor will stop intermittently. I did notice the 1000mA transformer made the train run faster, but still stopped working when I stopped it and wouldn't move again without some help. I've searched high and low for the specs on the transformer, but none show up. Can anyone please tell me what the output needs to be (volts and amps)? Also did I ruin my transformer or motor by using a different transformer? This is a US model and I live in the US.

I don't know the exact answer to your question but I can tell you a bit about using generic transformers.

The output amps is the max the transformer can supply not how much is pushed out. Instead the device pulls current from the transformer. For example if you have a 9V device that needs to draw 350mA you can plug it into a 1500mA transformer and it will only pull 350mA from the transformer.

It is important that the Voltage does match though because hooking something up to a higher voltage can fry it.

Your problem may be from corruption of the contacts anywhere in the system and have nothing to do with the power source.

I just rebuilt my old load and haul but am missing the transformer for the speed regulator.

Can anyone please tell me what the output needs to be (volts and amps)? Also did I ruin my transformer or motor by using a different transformer? This is a US model and I live in the US.

Hi CLos,

it says "9-12 V ~" (alternating current, or AC) on the side. There is a bridge rectifier inside and a voltage regulator, the polarity of the DC current leaving the device is simply changed by hardware pole reversing. I ran my regulator with 12 V DC power supplies and had no trouble, so I guess your 9V (the power supplies you used deliver DC) were simply too low in voltage. Also, you may want to use at least a 0.5 A power supply, the more the better, 1 A is best.

I am pretty sure you did not damage your motor or regulator at all.

Summary: (at least) 12 V DC, 1 A or 9 - 12 V AC, 1 A will do.

Good luck + best regards,

Thorsten

I agree with Tostie, and I think that 1 A is perfect! :thumbup:

Sometimes a motor doesn't start because the internal contacts are a little bit oxidised. Personally I have a 4,5 volts motor that start only with my help (hand push) no matter :grin:

Thanks to everyone. I will check the track to make sure that they all make contact and that I use a transformer with 1 amp.

I had a similar problem to yours and started a thread about it, you could find some useful info HERE

It helped me out no end.

Good luck.

Edited by Trainee