Sign in to follow this  
dverburg

Review: 76022 - X-Men vs. The Sentinel

Hey this is my first review. I have not been trained by The Academy but I thought some of you might want to see this set. I found it last night at a Fred Meyer in Boise, ID.

Building this set and listening to the new Cheap Girls record helped my hangover exponentially.

Price: $49.99

Pieces: 336

Minifigs: Cyclops, Storm, Wolverine, Magneto

I don't have a fancy city light box or a nice neutral backdrop, so you'll have to make do with my iPhone 5 and my coffee table. I did do my best though.

Here is the box:

14193407466_fea7b5164d.jpg

It's pretty big!

Here are the contents. 3 bags, 2 big pieces, 1 tiny sticker sheet, 2 mangled instruction booklets and one GOTG/X-Men comic thing. It was pretty incomprehensible and phoned in IMO.

14216381134_8253e0f548.jpg

Here's a closeup of the comic:

14213272871_9ccd030d5d.jpg

Okay, so let's take a look at everyone's favorite part-- the minifigs.

I love all four of them. They're in their Claremont/Byrne outfits and I couldn't be happier. I'd also like to note that while Lego portrays Magento as an antagonist in this set, he's dressed in his 80s 'good guy' attire. It's kind of a goofy costume but I love it.

Here they are:

14029913268_425f6fdc59.jpg

Let's start with Wolverine. The new mask is fantastic. As you can see, one head features "goggles" so the white eyes make the mask look complete. Works better than Batman's sweat band. He also comes with hair and claws. I love this costume and I couldn't be happier with this minifig.

14029900369_bc54f71784.jpg

Magneto is next. He comes with a nice red cape, awesome white hair and his traditional helmet. As you can see in the group shot, he also gets a platform to ride around on (way better than the one he had in the Deadpool set) and a clear cylinder brick to carry his helmet with. Great attention to detail. He has a stoic face and an angry face. I'm also super glad they went with white hair instead of grey hair.

14216379914_366e064883.jpg

Here's Cyclops. He's my favorite X-Men character and I'm thrilled to have him, but true to form he's a bit boring compared to the others. Still I am really happy with the end result. idk what's on his back in this pic but we will all have to deal with it/blame Obama.

14193405746_d2718d17a8.jpg

And the best for last-- Storm! Her cape is a bit thicker than your average Lego cape, but it looks great. It easily fits over her wrists. She has two faces and some lightning. Sorry this pic came out like amateur hour, I am not good at planning things out. I am, however, good at liking Storm. I am super impressed. Great character, great minifig.

14193405976_c8c021ea92.jpg

Okay, bag 1 builds the Sentinel, Wolveroonie and Magnus. Lots of pink and purple pieces. The Sentinel's chest and head are printed. They look great.

14213273421_b362eddb8d.jpg

Here's our friend the Sentinel. He's gotten some flack but I like him. He's quite articulated, the new shooter piece works well as his hand laser, he can hold a minifig by the legs and his flick fire missiles aren't obnoxious. I know someone will MOC a better one with these printed pieces but I'm pretty happy with everyone's favorite racist killer robot.

14029955660_baa7a6f962.jpg

14236739613_74fb445f4a.jpg

Here's bag 2:

14029902909_39a082266a.jpg

And what happens at the end of bag 2:

14216380824_5f112bb02b.jpg

And here's bag 3:

14214172842_eee718716f.jpg

And the finished product!

14029954990_66bd53e43b.jpg

I loved the build. It's super smooth, sleek and swooshable. It used very little in the way of technic pieces, which is a huge plus for me. There are only 4 stickers and they're all easy to apply.

It also fits 4 minifigs! No Blackbird toy has ever been able to fit that many figures before. The old Toy Biz one fit 2 and the X-Men movie one, while it was a beautiful toy, only held one figure. So it's already a winner.

Here's the cockpit:

14029911428_024cd55c62.jpg

And the little War Room section in the back, where Storm and Magneto are looking at a picture of a Sentinel on their iPad:

14029985307_4608c92196.jpg

And here are the rear "hidden" shooters. They shoot well and work fine, but I'll probably leave them unloaded as I don't care about missiles. Kids might like it though.

14236740023_729e4a6c15.jpg

There's also a toolbox in the War Room which I forgot to take a picture of. Oh well!

Here's one last shot of everything.

14214171462_2c9a5c0a1a.jpg

Okay. So yeah, 336 pieces is pretty absurd for $50. The body is made with 3 pretty huge boat-type pieces though, and it ends up being a good size. And it just looks so sleek-- it's infinitely fun to swoosh around the room. It fits 4 figures and has some cool features. The Sentinel is really fun and the minifigs are superb.

The price might be hard to swallow, but there are a ton of good basic bricks, slopes and cool colors in here. I'm very happy with my purchase.

Thanks for reading!

Thanks heaps for the review! I agree that the price tag is rather unreasonable but this is the super heroes line and it seems similar in make up to the recent Spider-man helicopter chase set. Just remember here in Australia it is sold at the ridiculous RRP of $80. I personally would have rather shelled out an extra $20-$30 to reach a similar sized ship to the Milano. Needless to say I'll be picking this up along with the rest of the Guardians of the Galaxy sets!

Thanks for the review! What does the comic have to do with X-Men?

There's an X-Men comic (or several? I'm not sure since it makes 0 sense to me) in the later pages.

Thanks heaps for the review! I agree that the price tag is rather unreasonable but this is the super heroes line and it seems similar in make up to the recent Spider-man helicopter chase set. Just remember here in Australia it is sold at the ridiculous RRP of $80. I personally would have rather shelled out an extra $20-$30 to reach a similar sized ship to the Milano. Needless to say I'll be picking this up along with the rest of the Guardians of the Galaxy sets!

$80? Whoa! I'd say this one is better than the Spider Copter. The Luke Cage, Mary Jane and Ultimate Goblin figs are nice but that vehicle is a bit of a turd. It might look okay in regular SHIELD colors but it's still no Blackbird.

There's an X-Men comic (or several? I'm not sure since it makes 0 sense to me) in the later pages.

Ah, thanks! I'm glad this set has so much room in the interior of the ship.

Me too! That's my favorite thing about it.

$80? Whoa! I'd say this one is better than the Spider Copter. The Luke Cage, Mary Jane and Ultimate Goblin figs are nice but that vehicle is a bit of a turd. It might look okay in regular SHIELD colors but it's still no Blackbird.

Yeah, well the set didn't really appeal to me as I am a uni student and so have to choose very carefully which sets to get haha! How do the wolverine and magneto minifigs compare to their previous incarnations? Also did you find the stickers (especially those on the cockpit) enhance the the look of the jet or did it look fine without them?

Yeah, well the set didn't really appeal to me as I am a uni student and so have to choose very carefully which sets to get haha! How do the wolverine and magneto minifigs compare to their previous incarnations? Also did you find the stickers (especially those on the cockpit) enhance the the look of the jet or did it look fine without them?

I can take some Wolverine and Magneto comparison pics tomorrow when there's more light if you'd like. They're just different costumes and I like both sets. It depends on the look you like best I suppose. The Logan and Magnus from the helicopter set probably have the more iconic costumes though.

The only sticker inside the plane is in the little war room area. It's that computer with the Sentinel head on it. I think that area would look dull without it.

The controls are printed tiles. There are very few stickers in this set, 4 to be exact. 2 go on the canopy and one goes on the tool cabinet. I like the canopy stickers but it'd look fine without them.

It would be cool if you got the Chopper Wolverine and put the new cowl on him. It'd look pretty sweet.

It would be cool if you got the Chopper Wolverine and put the new cowl on him. It'd look pretty sweet.

I'll take that pic for you tomorrow.

Does the Blackbird have landing wheels?

It doesn't, which is kind of a drawback. The underside has nothing on it so it doesn't look ugly. No weird technic pieces or overlapping plates or odd colors-- but no landing gear either. It'd be super easy to just put 3 wheels on it though. I might steal them from the recent Batcopter and take a pic for you.

I know right! Both this and the Milano seem to have an incredibly decent amount of room! Here's to hoping this trend continues!

Nice review, I might actually pick this one up, despite my initial dislike..

Could you post some more pictures of Storm with her cape from behind and the sides?

What did they do to Cyclops?! Brett Ratner might have exploded him but lego killed him...

No hair piece, no printed legs - sorry lego, were you rushing to meet a deadline?

Such a shame that both marvel and DC sets don't embrace the quality and imagination virtually every other lego theme shows. I know lego divide staff by themes...time for a few fresh faces perhaps?

I have to say that this is probably the best Superheroes set of the summer (along with the Milano ship). The minifigures are beautiful especially, Storm. The fact that it can seat all figs is a nice surprise. Thanks for the review!

Thanks for the review! I think i'm going to have a great time with this set. (I hope the price will drop a little.)

Though the set title is perplexing, I have to say that the Blackbird is refreshing. I love the ample interior space and it's a nice touch that there are more seats than there are X-Men figures so later releases will be able to fit as well. I'd say the only drawback is the lack of landing gear.

for people who are wondering, namely Cammo and Brick Hit. Cyclops is based on his Second Generation (of the X-Men team) outfit. Lego managed to put a lot of detail for such a basic undetailed version of the character. Here's a pic.

http://www.writeups.org/img/fiche/1964b.jpg

this set is amazing, first day buy

Thanks so much for this review :classic: I'm so glad that the jet can actually hold all of the figures, which makes me want this set even more :grin: R.I.P wallet :look:

Wow, Lego actually pulled off the Sentinel really well. This is definately one of my favourite sets of the year

Thank you thank you thank you!! I've been dying for a review, despite the price I love the set, not only because I love X-Men stuff, and the figs, and the Bird, and the Sentinel, but also because I grew up loving Claremont's run. Day one buy for me, the Blackbird, though small, has a lot more room than I would've thought.

Thanks for the review!

For reference, what the costumes are based on:

http://3.bp.blogspot...vengers_001.jpg

Magneto (the one on the left, far back)

http://womenwriteabo.../04/cockrum.jpg

Storm

http://static.comicv...lverine_b_t.jpg

Wolverine

http://www.comics101...r30/cyclops.jpg

Cyclops

Edited by Dr Leg O Brick

Nice review, I might actually pick this one up, despite my initial dislike..

Could you post some more pictures of Storm with her cape from behind and the sides?

Sure, I'll get you covered on that when I get home from work.

What did they do to Cyclops?! Brett Ratner might have exploded him but lego killed him...

No hair piece, no printed legs - sorry lego, were you rushing to meet a deadline?

Such a shame that both marvel and DC sets don't embrace the quality and imagination virtually every other lego theme shows. I know lego divide staff by themes...time for a few fresh faces perhaps?

I agree that he could have had printed boots, but it's styled after a specific Cyclops costume. As daniel gourhan22 said, it's a pretty simple costume and I think they did a good job. It also matches up well era-wise with these Wolverine, Magneto and Storm costumes.

Though the set title is perplexing, I have to say that the Blackbird is refreshing. I love the ample interior space and it's a nice touch that there are more seats than there are X-Men figures so later releases will be able to fit as well. I'd say the only drawback is the lack of landing gear.

Sure, gotta agree there. But that's easy to mod. I would have liked red canopy glass too if we're being honest.

Thank you thank you thank you!! I've been dying for a review, despite the price I love the set, not only because I love X-Men stuff, and the figs, and the Bird, and the Sentinel, but also because I grew up loving Claremont's run. Day one buy for me, the Blackbird, though small, has a lot more room than I would've thought.

Thanks for the review!

Hey, no problem. I love a majority of Claremont's run too so I really like these costumes.

Glad you're all enjoying it. I'll be posting the requested pics this evening.

for people who are wondering, namely Cammo and Brick Hit. Cyclops is based on his Second Generation (of the X-Men team) outfit. Lego managed to put a lot of detail for such a basic undetailed version of the character. Here's a pic.

http://www.writeups....fiche/1964b.jpg

this set is amazing, first day buy

The problem with LEGO super heroes remains the same. Give him yellow boots and it wouldn't look that empty and under-detailed... Leg printing makes everything better :grin:

Thanks for the review. Much needed. I was a definite pass on the set and just wanted the minifigures. Now I think I want the set too! Granted I won't pay that price for it, so I'll wait for a sale. If a sale never comes, then I guess I'll pick up the figures in the aftermarket if I can get them for less than the price of the set.

I love having Storm's normal sided face. Finally some more variety in skin color. Also, I love Logan's second face. Those goggles may work for SteamPunk MOCs I presume??

I almost think Magneto's hair should be the Count Dooku hairpiece from the new set. It matches that comic cover pretty well. Although, I'm thankful for having more variety in white/gray hair colors anyway.