KingPixels

Bootleg Super Heroes minifigs - worth it or not?

My FALCON MOC

Thanks Rob for the great idea -- using the SY Nick Fury Torso / Legs for this MOC!

Falcon [MOC] [MCU] by agoodfella minifigs, on Flickr

I'm the last person you need to thank, mate. You're the customiser extraordinaire... I just stick different bits of figures together occasionally!

Besides... I think I've just cheated on this thread. I may have just bought a genuine SDCC Arsenal figure. That's what happens when you decide to sell up on Marvel! ;)

For once I managed to grab a bargain instead of normally missing them. Guess when other's started listing for £20-30 they released they'd made an error. Oops.

I ordered my set yesterday but today I got a message from the seller that the set won't be available for another 20 days. Did anyone else get this message?

WOW... really cool idea for the wings!

Thanks, not my idea originally, but I def. think it is cool!

You should make the arms flesh coloured as he only wears a t shirt in the movie :)

Yeah, this is a great point. I am contemplating doing the bare arms, but then I ran across this variant (not sure if it actually appears in the film) but it does look like an official MARVEL variant from Winter Soldier:

u0HQ8Ys.jpg

I'm the last person you need to thank, mate. You're the customiser extraordinaire... I just stick different bits of figures together occasionally!

Besides... I think I've just cheated on this thread. I may have just bought a genuine SDCC Arsenal figure. That's what happens when you decide to sell up on Marvel! ;)

Ha! You went big!

I ordered my set yesterday but today I got a message from the seller that the set won't be available for another 20 days. Did anyone else get this message?

I got the same message. I told the seller I did not mind waiting. I think the seller is trying to get people to cancel the order due to the low price. I just hope he actually ships them : )

Well Scarlet Witch, Vision and the Ultrons weren't on the poster showing the 47 releases so who knows what their release schedule is like?

Well Scarlet Witch, Vision and the Ultrons weren't on the poster showing the 47 releases so who knows what their release schedule is like?

I ask about this to the seller and this is the answer

4c7ghqz.png

I got the same message. I told the seller I did not mind waiting. I think the seller is trying to get people to cancel the order due to the low price. I just hope he actually ships them : )

I've got a really mixed view on this. On the one hand, if the seller wanted to undercut the competition and was going for volume and now has seller's remorse, I have no sympathy. But if he made an honest mistake and had no intention of selling that low... I don't know, I do feel kind of bad for the guy.

TB2sBrIepXXXXbbXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!732136809.jpg

Is this a new variant set? Are they all Trans? I've got to say, I'm not a big fan of the trans figs (read: hate 'em) but that Vision could be interesting.... Would love to see a close up pic if anyone has one...

This is an interesting case which just came in favor of Gucci in their lawsuit against Alibaba selling counterfeit products:

http://www.bloomberg...ants-fake-goods

I'm no lawyer, but it could set a legal precedent for other companies and in that case it may be a matter of time before bootlegs are barred (at least for US based customers)... Thoughts on this?

Edited by agoodfella77

Would be good to see the scumbags who rip off other people's IP for profit by selling these bootlegs get the smack down they deserve.

Saw a store yesterday (temporary store in a big shopping center) selling a whole pile of bootleg minifigs and sets (including stuff from ShengYuan).

If there was somewhere I could report these scumbags to, I would do it since selling these things is totally illegal.

I wouldn't be surprised if this landmark case makes a dent into the bootlegging area, but comparing luxury designer clothes to toys is very different. Yes I know LEGO is a huge conglomerate company, but the issue is less serious. Go to any flea market or Bazaar and you find will counterfeit toys of licensed movies, video games,etc. I don't doubt that maybe it will cause a dent or cause some companies to go "off the grid" I know bootlegging is cool right now since I get so many figs for the price of basically a polybag, but if it ends I will only remember how much fun this messageboard was along with seeing and getting excited for the next Decool superhero wave or a SY brochure. It's been fun you guys.

Edited by Kire

I wouldn't be surprised if this landmark case makes a dent into the bootlegging area, but comparing luxury designer clothes to toys is very different. Yes I know LEGO is a huge conglomerate company, but the issue is less serious. Go to any flea market or Bazaar and you find will counterfeit toys of licensed movies, video games,etc. I don't doubt that maybe it will cause a dent or cause some companies to go "off the grid" I know bootlegging is cool right now since I get so many figs for the price of basically a polybag, but if it ends I will only remember how much fun this messageboard was along with seeing and getting excited for the next Decool superhero wave or a SY brochure. It's been fun you guys.

I'm not making a call either way. As a layman, however, I think worst case scenario is that the distribution of these products may certainly be limited (restricted) in certain regions.

Having said that, I think its way too early to dig the grave for the bootleggers -- bear in mind how many consumers there are in the Chinese home market and the neighboring regions (India, South East Asia) -- even without Western markets, there will be plenty of demand. Besides, these kinds of restrictions will certainly not dampen demand for these products -- they will be other avenues for these products to reach the market in some form or another.

In other words, this is potentially bad news (in the short term) for buyers in certain regions. The bootleggers will keep churning product -- where there is a demand, there will be supply. Economics 101.

Makes me laugh when people get on a high horse about principles when it comes to bootlegs.....

Maybe if Lego sold high demand minifigures in single packs rather than asking the customer to fork out around £300 to buy all the sets the figures come in....... The bootleg market wouldn't seem so attractive....

#justsayin

I do agree, that Kering case is a $2 against an $800, and they wonder WHY people snatch them up...

Makes me laugh when people get on a high horse about principles when it comes to bootlegs.....

Maybe if Lego sold high demand minifigures in single packs rather than asking the customer to fork out around £300 to buy all the sets the figures come in....... The bootleg market wouldn't seem so attractive....

#justsayin

Sell a premium product and somebody will soon be along to undercut you. Lego are one of the most profitable toy brands in the world ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31621107 ). They choose to price high and milk their customers. Still, in the eyes of the law cynical marketing strategies are all good. :classic:

#justsayin

Well said. Furthermore figures like the SDCC exclusive ones are quite hard to get if you can't go to the comic con, resale prices are crazy too