AmperZand

Kreo Dungeons & Dragons

Kreo, the Hasbro-owned clone brand, has recently released a Dungeons & Dragons line in the US (and Canada?). As a fan of fantasy, I'm excited by this development. I wish, of course, that D&D had been released by TLG, but as Hasbro owns D&D, there was no chance of that ever happening.

From the pictures I have seen online, there are good and bad aspects to the Kreo D&D line.

On the positive side, it does mean that there will be some reasonable quality parts that are compatible with LEGO but that TLG don't/can't make. It also appears that a lot of the Kreo D&D minifigs (i.e. kreons) will be available individually or in small packs, so you won't have to pay a premium on Ebay to get them because they've been parted from larger sets. Of particular interest are the Drizzt and Eye of Grumsh kreons which I fully intend to cannibalize for their parts.

On the negative side, I'm not a fan of kreons. Yes, they're more articulated than LEGO minifigs, but they're also butt ugly. I'm also disappointed that almost all of the creatures are humanoid. Of all the varied monsters D&D has produced/redefined in its 40 year history, Kreo has decided that their D&D line should be almost exclusively humanoid. The only exceptions are some spiders and a mimic. You would think that in a line called Dungeons & Dragons, that there would be at least one dragon, but there isn't.

Still, I hope this line reaches the UK where I am soon. I haven't been able to find a UK release date yet. Do you have any intel on its UK release? From what I have seen of other Kreo lines, it can take up to a year between a US and UK release.

What are your thoughts about Kreo's D&D line?

Note to mods: Please feel free to merge this post with an existing thread if appropriate. I just thought that as it deals specifically with D&D, it merited its own discussion.

Kreo, the Hasbro-owned clone brand, has recently released a Dungeons & Dragons line in the US (and Canada?).

Don't have anything to contribute to the discussion, but I just wanted to confirm that, yes, they are available in Canada also.

The three sets that actually have a significant building component all look kind of bland. I am not a fan of the kreons either. It looks like Hasbro is trying to market the line as a game? I haven't really heard a lot about it. I do like how they have so many options to collect the figures though. I Wish Lego would take a hint and do the same for their LotR/Hobbit themes...

It's a cool license, but man, those sets and figures are ugly.

Of all the varied monsters D&D has produced/redefined in its 40 year history, Kreo has decided that their D&D line should be almost exclusively humanoid. The only exceptions are some spiders and a mimic. You would think that in a line called Dungeons & Dragons, that there would be at least one dragon, but there isn't.

Agreed! Where's the Beholders and Mind Flayers and Owlbears?!?

It looks like Hasbro is trying to market the line as a game? I haven't really heard a lot about it.

I haven't heard much about that either but, yes, I believe that Kreo D&D is being developed as a game akin to the 1983/2007 game Crossbows & Catapults ( http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2129/crossbows-and-catapults ) with the addition of cards, that is, special powers for the characters.

The game doesn't interest me. Although I'm a keen RPGer and AFOL, I've never sought to combine the two hobbies beyond thematic links (fantasy, superheroes). Kreo D&D, from what I can tell, isn't an RPG; it's a wargame with toy projectiles.