just2good

LEGO Hobbit 2014

79015 Elrond/Galadriel/Witch King - 101 pieces. $14.99 (USD) $15.99 (CAD) - 3 minifigures (obviously)

79016 Lake-town Tower - 313 pieces. $29.99 (USD) $34.99 (CAD) - 4 minifigures (SDCC Bard, Bain and...? Alfrid? Braga? Bolg? Tauriel/Legolas? Another dwarf (unlikely imo))

79017 Battle of Five Armies - 471 pieces. $59.99 (USD) $84.99 (CAD) - 5 minifigures and a large molded creature (Dain, Thranduil in armor, 2 orcs, Bolg if not in Lake-town and creature is Bear form Beorn, MAYBE an Iron Hill Dwarf or armored Elf Soldier if we are lucky, but I doubt it)

79018 The Lonely Mountain - 858 pieces. $129.99 (USD) $119.99 (CAD) - 5 minifigures already shown and large molded Smaug

Erebor is cheaper here?! *huh*

I just thought of something: maybe we'll see Bolg's original design as a generic orc general. Remember what kris kelvin reported last year about the Dol Guldur sets:

In Dol Guldur Battle is warrior with red hair and red beard (one piece) - he looks taller than normal minifigs. In Dol Guldur Ambush is warrior (he fights wit orc) with red hair. He is normal size.

The omission of Bolg in 79014 due to his redesign in the movies pretty much happened last minute, so perhaps the new mould was already in production and now needs to be used in one of the sets to justify the costs? Personally, I wouldn't mind it, I'd rather get both of Bolg's designs than another boring regular orc (unless it involves a new helmet) :sweet:

+1 for new orc helmets!

I do fear that if we gave only 5 minifigs in the BOFA sets there will not be any room for generic soldiers, at least no good ones like armored dwarves. We will probably get:

Thorin (he is not in Erebor)

Dain (crucial new character)

Gandalf (LEGO wouldn't resist)

Azog/Bolg (this set needs a main villain, probably Azog if Bolg is in Laketown)

Another evil character to balance it out (generic orc, warg or bat maybe)

In an ideal world this set should have 7+ characters and function as a big army builder with 2-3 main characters (Thorin, Dain, armored Thranduil - please leave Gandalf out unless you give him a new hairpiece) and 2-3 generic soldiers per side (1 armored elf, 1 armored dwarf, 2 armored Orcs) plus one or two molded creatures like Beorn bear/eagle and bat/warg.

Although probably expensive, I would buy at least four of these with this minifigure selection (if they announce it on time so I can save up ;) ). However they probably gonna favour main characters over grunts :'(

Gandalf is covered. hes in dol guldur. And with the galadriel vs witch king set coming, the dol guldur sets from last year are still valid.

Gandalf is covered. hes in dol guldur. And with the galadriel vs witch king set coming, the dol guldur sets from last year are still valid.

Thats what you say.... LEGO doesnt look at it like that....

For me Gandalf is forever covered with Black Gate and Gandalf arrives.... dont need another EVER after that 2 sets :)

I reckon the dol guldur set is going to be another add on to the existing playset and all three sets together form a scene from the 3rd film. I mean you've got Necromancer (perhaps that design is from the third film), Lots of orcs, The witch king, 3 wizards, Elrond and azog. I reckon the fight against necromancer takes place before the battle of the five armies as Gandalf will be in both battles therefore azog might still be there in that fight. Beorn joining in that battle would also explain that smaller set and mean that he features in both large scale fights of the film. I wonder what the dol guldur set will comprise of? Didn't someone say Elrond had a horse at toy fair?

Edited by legofreak86

I mean you've got Necromancer (perhaps that design is from the third film)

The design is from the first movie. I think the idea was he was not fully formed then, and in DOS you see him better formed. so presumably in bo5a hes similar to DOS if not a little mroe shaped.

What does everyone think of the Smuag Figure ???

I still don't know what to think of it?

You should read back a few pages. There was a TON of discussion on Smaug from the moment the pictures became available :thumbup:

What does everyone think of the Smuag Figure ???

I still don't know what to think of it?

I think LEGO made a mistake with this wave as far as the figs and what to put in set goes.....

I think Erebor should be 1200 pieces and no Smaug instead it should come with 5 dwarfs + Bilbo + armored dwarves (2) and Dain (a different print perhaps) OR even remove dain and 2 dwarfs and put in 10 dwarves here and only leave out 2 least important ones.

Lakte Town addon should come with Bard + Bain + Smaug and should cost 60-70$

And Battle of Dale should cost 40$ and be armored orcs(2) + Bolg + Dain(armored) + 2 armored dwarfs

and the smallest set as it is.

Thats would be much better imo.....

I think the Lonely Mountain set wouldn't be so interesting for kids anymore if Smaug wouldn't be there.

Edited by Robert_88

I think the Lonely Mountain set wouldn't be so interesting for kids anymore if Smaug wouldn't be there.

thats why the real Erebor set will be d2c and be the gate with the statues and no smaug :grin: yes?

I'm hoping we get a mix of main characters and grunts in the set. To do it justice we'd need something like Thorin, Dain, Bolg, 2 dwarf warriors, 1 orc warrior

I changed your list, and made it better :grin:

thats why the real Erebor set will be d2c and be the gate with the statues and no smaug :grin: yes?

Lets give that a :wub:

Now i know where i saw Dwalin's axe, there was a shot on the internet from Dwalin in BO5A very blurry but it seemed like he was jump attacking an enemy

The axe was indeed green with a lot of gold on it, and i believe it was made from some sort of Emerald material

Edited by kevkipo

It would be believe me.... Castles usually had no dragons and they were interesting, far more than some lesser sets with dragons.... just think about Black Knights back in 1992.... Would you rather have Black Knight's Castle or Dragon Wagon WITH A DRAGON! :D :D :D ????

But its alot more effort to make it interesting then yes.... guess LEGO is going lazy mode with too much success .)

If Deathleech has made a good prediction, we will need to hope for Battle Packs to fill the elf, dwarf and human armies.

These are my predictions:

79016 Lake Town: 4 figures: Bain, Blue coat Bard, Bolg, Armored Bofur.

79017 Battle of Five Armies: 9 figures (My reasoning for this is that Mirkwood Army had one third more figs than regular $30 sets. So if Dol Guldur had 6 figs we get 9 as an army builder) Armored Thorin, Armored Thranduil, Dain, Iron Hill Dwarf x2, Armored Orc x2, 1 Armored Elf, and a Lake Town Soldier.

@Floundie: I like your suggestions :thumbup: However, I think an updated version of Tauriel would be more realistic than armored Bofur :wink: BTW, 79014 had 8 figs if you count the statue and the skeleton :grin:

These are my predictions:

79016 Lake Town: 4 figures: Bain, Blue coat Bard, Bolg, Armored Bofur.

79017 Battle of Five Armies: 9 figures (My reasoning for this is that Mirkwood Army had one third more figs than regular $30 sets. So if Dol Guldur had 6 figs we get 9 as an army builder) Armored Thorin, Armored Thranduil, Dain, Iron Hill Dwarf x2, Armored Orc x2, 1 Armored Elf, and a Lake Town Soldier.

What a fine list :laugh:

May i compliment you with that fine picture good sir, it looks explicit :purrr:

I especially like the highlighted part...

Edited by kevkipo

I think LEGO made a mistake with this wave as far as the figs and what to put in set goes.....

I totally agree with this. The only thing I would make different is the Bo5A army builder.. make it $30 and have 6 minifigs and a large molded creature like the past two army builders have had. It can still be Dale ruins, just reduce the size of whatever Lego was planning on doing in the $60 set. Heck, it doesn't even need to hook up to a bigger set, Mirkwood Elf Army didn't. You figure if you make a $60 set into a $30 one most people who wanted more ruins and buildings can buy multiples and add on to them.

Lego just kinda shot themselves in the foot with their Erebor. Having Smaug in the flagship set made the rest of the set uninteresting and the location pretty bland. Instead of trying to mesh two different scenes together Lego totally should of removed Smaug, included more dwarves in armor, possibly Dain, some orcs, and made this a "Bo5A Erebor". That way they could of given us the huge gate and iconic dwarf statues which AFOLs would of LOVED (just look at everyone wishing they had this instead...). It also would of had plenty of play features and been instantly recognizable. Gate you need to bar from the inside and ram open from the outside to get in? Check. Dwarf statues to climb? Check. Catapult on the top and logs that you let roll off and hit attacks below? Check.

If Lego had done it this way it would of been win-win-win. The Erebor build would of been more interesting and contained more minifigures. Lake-town could of been a $60-70 set and woulda FLOWN off shelves with Smaug in it cause its MUCH more affordable to them. The $30 BoFA army builder would of sold at least one copy to most kids and multiples to many AFOLs. And you know the best part? This literally would of been MINIMAL investment on Legos part. You have a few extra printed minifigs, a slighlty bigger Erebor model, and maybe 2-3 new molds depending what they ended up giving us, but in exchange a more expensive Lake-town and a set with multiple purchase appeal. You also have an Erebor build that isn't terribly disappointing and a Smaug in a set that is actually affordable to it's biggest audience, kids.

^ I couldn't agree more.

If the Middle-Earth themes end because of poor sales than LEGO plays a big part in it.

It's beyond ridiculous to include Smaug in the Erebor set for the third wave. He doesn't come even remotely near the insides of the mountain in the third film and what parents will pay 130 bucks for a (awesome, it has to be admitted) dragon?

This isn't directly related to the sets but very much worth posting. In

you can see the complete film series banner artwork, with new scenes from BOFA!