Basically, it only runs off a V1 receiver while there is another PF motor underneath connected to the same channel. Connected directly to the channel, it won't work (it runs fine off a V2 receiver; trouble is, I only have one of those). I'm aware that I could just contact Lego and they'd happily ship me a new one, but I'm curious as to why this happens in the first place.

Edit: Seems to work off one V1 receiver (marked 16K1) but not two others (marked 27K0 and 12K7).

Edited by VMLN8R

Sorry, I should have clarified, this is a problem with one specific XL. I have others that work fine no matter what receiver is used.

Am I correct in understanding that the XL motor in question runs OK if another motor is connected in parallel (i.e. thus making a higher power requirement?). If so I doubt it's to do with the higher power output of the V2 receiver. Sounds more like a poor connection on either the motor lead or the receiver (or both). Check for dirt or bent connections.

I have succesfully had a motor replaced because it was running slow. I suppose you can get the same because of the increased power load.

They will ask for the defective motor to be returned, but they will deliver box and postage for this to be an easy task.

Yeah, seems like I will be asking for a replacement; the contacts and wires seem clean and fine. I think this is the third XL I've had that's gone kaput.

Ask for a replacement, and if they don't give it to you the first time, keep at it! and hope you get a different assistant the second time, what happened to me :classic:

I know with my excavator sometimes one of the motors will not work during building, swapping them all around fixes it.

The motors should have connections on them like they used, I've never liked the lead being attached to it.

BTW why do the motors have 4 connections?