jamesster

What would you want out of an actual LEGO game?

Imagine you're tasked with designing a LEGO video game. Not a kart racer or a sports game or a specifically themed action-adventure game or anything like that - just a game that needs to take LEGO, as a thing, and put it into video game form. LEGO hasn't really tried this very much, outside of the LEGO Creator series and LEGO Universe, and maybe even LEGO Loco. There are some non-LEGO games which are very clearly influenced by the toy, though, such as Blockland and Roblox. What do these games (official and unofficial) do right or wrong, and what would you like to see out of a future hypothetical game like this?

I think some social-type game, like "Draw with Friends" or something. Where you build something quickly - maybe even minor, and pass it along to see if it can be used to communicate an idea.

Or maybe every day all players are given a "pile" of preselected parts. Then everyone builds something out of that same set and shares it. The next day same thing. So all you are doing is solving a little puzzle or doodling, or however you want to put it - browsing all the things other people made, and that's it. Like a little "mini Lab" for Lego. Nothing big. But with enough casual sticky power that everyone would be willing to "log in" once a day to get your parts and build. (But you better let me build off line) Great Mobile App potential.

Or an awesome MMoRPG with customizable Lego characters that fight in a world made of bricks against an evil menace......oh never mind. They tried that. I never played the Lego Universe games, but I imagine that a "re-visioning" of it as a free-to-play with micro transactions and tradeable pieces in a shared sandbox world would go over well.

Um, that would be great.

Roblox and Blockland focus on building and creating before anything else, which is good. LEGO Universe had LDD-ish brick-by-brick building, but pushed it off into the side in favor of typical MMO fodder.

LEGO Universe tried to be WoW, instead of sticking to being LEGO.

For a actual Lego game, I want a game that combines all themes of every previous Traveler's Tales Lego Game into one huge game.

Edited by Savage Oppress