Sign in to follow this  
MKJoshA

[SoNE Free Build] A Brother's Work is Never Done

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

The day after I saw the Qwohog get arrested my brother and I were working on the swoop in our family's garage.

9707208588_cc632b4018.jpg

He had come home from his time at the Imperial Academy on Caridia a month ago and reported in to the nearest Imperial base on Corellia once a week for his mandatory, weekly service to the Empire.

9703966929_223c5db2ae.jpg

He was refilling the swoop's engine coolant and I was welding some spots on the engine to try to get some more power out of it.

9707201044_cbff35404b.jpg

He and I disagreed about the role the Empire should play on Corellia. I felt that the currant ruling Diktat of Corellia should stop allowing the Empire to abuse it's power and should make a stand against the Emperor. I felt that if all five worlds in our solar system, the Five Brothers, were to make a united stand against the Empire we would be able to throw off their yoke. The Empire has a marginal presence on Corellia as it is, and no one would want to go up against a planet of mad Corellians, let alone Corellia and four other planets. We had had this argument a hundred times before and there didn't seem to be any reason to start it up again. Our aging parents were so proud to have a son who had graduated from the academy. If I started up the debate again it would just carry on through dinner and our parents would take his side. They always did. They didn't feel proud of a son who's only accomplishment was keeping his job at the bar for 4 years. So I stayed silent and kept welding.

9703952689_78eac77b2f.jpg

OoC: Please judge this as a free build.

I like this safety mask so much.

I love it too. I got it right away. I wish it could lift up like a normal welding mask, but the detail is still incredible.

Nice MOC, very creative. My suggestion would be to add a little more detail, like tool boxes, tools hanging around the walls, a work bench maybe. A garage is a busy place. :wink:

I do like how you've added some detail to the swoop while maintaing continuity with your previous MOC by showing the greebles as something that comes up under a pop-up panel. :classic: I think you could've gone with something in the storyline like 'upgrading the swoop' instead of 'fixing the swoop' in order to storyline-wise justify improving the swoop MOC further. I do agree that some more random parts and tools strewn around would be nice. The one thing that truly bugs me, though, is the random blue bits in the white walls; that seems kind of strange.

Nice MOC, very creative. My suggestion would be to add a little more detail, like tool boxes, tools hanging around the walls, a work bench maybe. A garage is a busy place. :wink:

You guys are right. It needs more tools. I was in a hurry with this MOC because I was finishing up my entry for the Heroica contest (http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=86658) as well as working on my entry for Episode 1 of SoNE. Lots of building going on in my apartment.

I do like how you've added some detail to the swoop while maintaing continuity with your previous MOC by showing the greebles as something that comes up under a pop-up panel. :classic: I think you could've gone with something in the storyline like 'upgrading the swoop' instead of 'fixing the swoop' in order to storyline-wise justify improving the swoop MOC further. I do agree that some more random parts and tools strewn around would be nice. The one thing that truly bugs me, though, is the random blue bits in the white walls; that seems kind of strange.

The blue bits are part of the wall architecture. I've seen this used in many builds before. It helps break up the monotony that comes with a single color wall. I see it most often as different shades or gray, green, brown, or tan in castles. Some examples are:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=86589

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60970432@N06/8231445755/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deviet/8253850225/

Even Lego does this with their sets: http://www.flickr.com/photos/52426132@N07/8691182329/in/photolist-ef1zHc-drYoXP-drYpcv-drYpAg-drYy4G-drYpwz-dYT8v5-d7NvMq-d3Hfsb-d3HfmW-d3Hfps-d7Q7g3-d7N787-d7NvJG-d7N71Q-d7N75S-8NBoQZ-dNyKEQ-dNyMpY-dNtdSx-dNyLBG-dNyMSY-dNyLe9-dNyKRq-d3HdJJ-d3HdnA-d3Hdtq-d3HdPm-d3HdqL-dqfJDU-ef7jtG-ef1zTt-ef1Aax-ef1zXF-ef1yJM-ef1zAH-ef1zs4-ef1znn-ef1A98-ef1zbB-ef1zPP-ef1zDv-ef1A3K-ef7jNQ-ef1zbK-ef1zdF-ef1zMK-ef7iNh-ef1zW2-ef7jod-ef7jaL

But, since this is a Star Wars universe build, I wanted something that felt more like a Star Wars planet. So I added the blue to the white walls.

Those are cases where the other colors represent weathering or natural color variation in building material, though. If it was something like a tan building (as on Tatooine) with some light bley/grey bits and some brown bits, then that would look realistic. The blue on white just looks kind of random. For the white wall, I'd go with light bley/grey, maybe some sand green, and maybe try to make it look more organic that 1x4 and 2x4 chunks.

Those are cases where the other colors represent weathering or natural color variation in building material, though. If it was something like a tan building (as on Tatooine) with some light bley/grey bits and some brown bits, then that would look realistic. The blue on white just looks kind of random. For the white wall, I'd go with light bley/grey, maybe some sand green, and maybe try to make it look more organic that 1x4 and 2x4 chunks.

Fair enough. I understand using smaller brick sizes to accomplish the feel I was going for, but I have to contest the idea of not using blue. Since Corellia was never shown in the movies, and the Star Wars universe is very diverse, I think blue is a very viable base-building material color. We know colors vary a lot on Corellia as Han Solo mentions that in "Ambush at Corellia." Maybe my characters used blue duracrete or blue . We know blue was a common color in architecture as Sal-Solo's estate was painted a variety of blue (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sal-Solo_Estate). I think the Star Wars universe allows for color creativity.

Ah, yes, the Corellian Trilogy. Good books, and they've created a lot of EU material. Fair point; I have no problem with buildings being painted blue or built using blue materials. It looks like the white is the intended painted color, so if the blue is weathering exposing some sort of building material that's blue, I'd definitely like to see it less squarish, more organically shaped. It's also the blue-white combo that I think has contrast that makes the color of the blue stand out, and maybe something like blue and light grey/bley would be better.

Well, I agree that an orange/blue combination isn't very star wars..ish. But I like your story. this black gadget beneath the door is a cool greeble. Some hoses and pipes mounted on the walls would help to starwarsify it.

Hope we'll see more free builds with your character.

Ah, yes, the Corellian Trilogy. Good books, and they've created a lot of EU material. Fair point; I have no problem with buildings being painted blue or built using blue materials. It looks like the white is the intended painted color, so if the blue is weathering exposing some sort of building material that's blue, I'd definitely like to see it less squarish, more organically shaped. It's also the blue-white combo that I think has contrast that makes the color of the blue stand out, and maybe something like blue and light grey/bley would be better.

Yes, probably one of the best triology of the EU after Thrawn. I'm not looking forward to the new movies because it will trash the EU. And thank you for your weathering advice.

Well, I agree that an orange/blue combination isn't very star wars..ish. But I like your story. this black gadget beneath the door is a cool greeble. Some hoses and pipes mounted on the walls would help to starwarsify it.

Hope we'll see more free builds with your character.

I think the Star Wars universe allows for many different kinds of color combinations. Here is the next free build: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=86846.

Agreed, the interior is bare. But is it really only 1 step up from "minifig on a plate" (which was the description of what would win 1 XP)? I knew these would challenge my building skills but I didn't know how tough the grading would be :) Guess I'll have to step it up a notch!