Sign in to follow this  
johnsocal

Would you like to see Bionicle expanded into SPACE??

Who's small minded? By saying that it's a fact that new opinions are not as good as Nostalgia, you are looking at everything one sided. I do NOT have a small minded look at things. I read over many of the longer posts in this topic, and I happen to disagree with them. In my opinion, a year with no story would be a disaster, and would rip the heart out of Bionicle. I also disagree that the storyline is far more terible than the storyline of 2001. It's just different.

Which brings me to another point: many of you love the MNOG to death, as I've noticed, and although I agree that it is a great work of Bionicle, I would not want the people who worked on it to write the storyline of Bionicle today. Why? In my OPINION, while the storyline was great, the actual character development and personalities were almost non existant. Most of the dialogue was meant to inform you of your surroundings, thus very little of it sounded like it was spoken by different villagers. Ga-Matoran and Onu-Matoran sounded alike, and all the Le-Matoran villagers sounded like each other. Worse, even in the times of chaos, the villagers didn't convey any emotion to me. :-/

The bionicle books, on the other hand, have a lot of character in them, IMO. Many of the characters have unique personalities, like Dalu, who breaks the usual nice Ga-Matoran routine, and Matoro, who matures throughout the 2006-2007 storyline and finally realizes he is worth as much as the other Toa. Also, the books have a dark sense of humor, which was totally non-existant in the MNOG. Things like this make me like Greg F's writing better than the MNOG writing.

Which brings me to a third point: many of you guys seem to wish Greg F had never been part of Bionicle, and wish he was banished from it forever. But, like many of the criticisms aimed at George Lucas of Starwars, you guys don't realize how hard these guys work. Greg F. wrote the Bionicle comics of every year, including 2001's comics. He also wrote the Bionicle Adventures series, which even Ravensburg seems to like. Some people call George Lucas arrogant, and he may be, but back before Starwars IV premiered, he suffered through a lot of depression and overstressed work, and that is hard on a guy. Whether you like or dislike their writing, you have to admit that they do work hard. ;-)

Now, is that small minded, Falls? |-/

...You. For defending people and your own opinion too much. I meant the nostalgia comment to sarcastic. Chill and let things stay as they are, because just as I cannot change your opinion, you can't do much to change ours either. Saying you're "disgusted" doesn't exactly sound like a peaceful comment. There was an innocence about 2001 and the MNOG, which did not call for dark humor. Just because Bionicle has changed to fit your tastes does not mean it has done so for others.

Edited by Darkness Falls

...You. For defending people and your own opinion too much.

...That is small minded? So, using reverse logic, being large-minded and inteligent is being uncaring about what anyone says about you, your hobbies, other people, or anything else in the world. :-|

Saying you're "disgusted" doesn't exactly sound like a peaceful comment

Oh, and your comments are peaceful? I've read some of the things you've said, Darkness, and they sure don't sound nice and accepting. Saying that someone has "caught the case of the stupid" for disagreeing with your opinion isn't exactly nice, no? :-/

Besides, you're missing the entire point I've been trying to make. If you want to bash bionicle and GregF, fine, but doing it in a factual sense is just dumb, since opinions about toys and other non-important stuff are equal as long as they are written inteligently. Saying that "Bionicle is awful" and other things in an "This is fact" manor isn't nice discussion, it's being rude and refusing to respect other opinions. And no, it doesn't matter that many of the members here are not adults. Example: Who would be smarter and more welcome here on a discussion forum: an inteligent and mature 12 year old boy or a 24 year old that stays at his parrents home and spends his days watching TV and eating junk food? And no, that was not meant to be realistic or reflective of anything we've talked about, but just as an illustration.

Just because Bionicle has changed to fit your tastes does not mean it has done so for others.

Um, I didn't say that at all. Stop putting words into my mouth! Fact is, I actually wasn't into Bionicle until 2004, and didn't know the storyline until a year later. Now, that doesn't mean that I have no right to discuss 2001, as I've played the MNOG, read all the comics, and researched every area to familiarize myself with the years I missed out of. I like the sets and storyline from that era, but I just like other years later.

Besides, you once again seem to think I am attacking you for saying that you love. 2001 and hate so and so years. FALSE. I'm simply raising the point that this topic is filled with crazy "factual opinion" talk that seems to think that there is only one real viewpoint: 2001 good. 2005+ and GregF bad. End of story.

Don't call me simple minded, as there are legitamite arguments for saying that people that think their opinions about toys are fact are simple minded. Can you please not mangle my posts and say that I'm saying things that I am not? |-/

...That is small minded? So, using reverse logic, being large-minded and inteligent is being uncaring about what anyone says about you, your hobbies, other people, or anything else in the world. :-|

Oh, and your comments are peaceful? I've read some of the things you've said, Darkness, and they sure don't sound nice and accepting. Saying that someone has "caught the case of the stupid" for disagreeing with your opinion isn't exactly nice, no? :-/

Besides, you're missing the entire point I've been trying to make. If you want to bash bionicle and GregF, fine, but doing it in a factual sense is just dumb, since opinions about toys and other non-important stuff are equal as long as they are written inteligently. Saying that "Bionicle is awful" and other things in an "This is fact" manor isn't nice discussion, it's being rude and refusing to respect other opinions. And no, it doesn't matter that many of the members here are not adults. Example: Who would be smarter and more welcome here on a discussion forum: an inteligent and mature 12 year old boy or a 24 year old that stays at his parrents home and spends his days watching TV and eating junk food? And no, that was not meant to be realistic or reflective of anything we've talked about, but just as an illustration.

Um, I didn't say that at all. Stop putting words into my mouth! Fact is, I actually wasn't into Bionicle until 2004, and didn't know the storyline until a year later. Now, that doesn't mean that I have no right to discuss 2001, as I've played the MNOG, read all the comics, and researched every area to familiarize myself with the years I missed out of. I like the sets and storyline from that era, but I just like other years later.

Besides, you once again seem to think I am attacking you for saying that you love. 2001 and hate so and so years. FALSE. I'm simply raising the point that this topic is filled with crazy "factual opinion" talk that seems to think that there is only one real viewpoint: 2001 good. 2005+ and GregF bad. End of story.

Don't call me simple minded, as there are legitamite arguments for saying that people that think their opinions about toys are fact are simple minded. Can you please not mangle my posts and say that I'm saying things that I am not? |-/

Simple-minded? Ah, now you put words into my mouth. You obviously cannot associate the feelings that we have towards 2001 because you weren't interested then. Still, I believe that is completely correct: Using reverse logic, being large-minded and intelligent is being uncaring about what anyone says about you, your hobbies, other people, or anything else in the world. There is a limit to this attitude, where defending one's opinion goes to an absurd level. You just seem a bit to overprotective of your opinions, and you take what I say a bit too seriously. I was joking when I said that quote you've pulled out on me, and, I'm guessing since it was directed towards you, you haven't gotten over it. CHILL OUT.

I NEVER said you hated 2001, I said you don't understand what we see in it. And even so, no one(except maybe Helden) thinks their opinion on this subject is factual. We are simply stating them.

Hm, this is tough. It seems that every time you post something responding to member, you have to either say it in a sarcastic way, or say a joke statement that you don't really mean. Now, I'm all for friendly joking, but it SEEMS that you aren't being friendly at all, and it SEEMS that you do these sarcastic comments and stuff for no reason.

This, is of course, from what I SEE you saying, but since you are not me, you may not understand the situation. I have a mental disorder called Aspbergers (not quite the correct spelling, but how it sounds when you say it), Darkness, and while it does not hinder my posting abilities as much as you might think, it does make me look at things more literally. Thus, your "trick" posts can really cause me problems, since I can't quite even tell what you're saying. I want to have a good discussion with you, and all the other people here, Darkness, so could you at least post what you REALLY mean, instead of making sarcastic comments and statments that you don't really believe? :-/

But, this brings me to the whole reason I posted here in the first place. Whatever opinions we have on this forum, the fact remains that Lego, and especially Bionicle, are kids toys. When I mean kids, I mean the 8-12 year olds that are TLC's main focus group for Bionicle. They are the ones TLC is marketing Bionicle to, and whether or not you may like it, you, Helden, Darth Vader, Jinzo, and all the other adult bionicle lovers here are NOT the majority of bionicle lovers. Now, you may say that TLC betrayed it's greatest fans when they moved away from the 2001 style, but the fact is that even back then you were not the main focus. The focus group has always been the current kid generation.

This means, though, that I am not in the majority either, since I am a teenager, and Bionicle is aimed at pre-teens. You have to realize that when TLC created bionicle way back in 2001, they weren't expecting guys like Jinzo to suddenly fall in love with it. Even if some teens enjoyed it back then, TLC logically expected that in 6 years or so they would have become adults and moved onto other things, like cars, college, full time jobs, and girls. You can't really expect TLC to think that barely any adults would like Bionicle, a childs toy, well into their 20's, and from a marketing and profit sense, it makes no sense at all to focus on what pleases the few adult lovers of bionicle far more than the wants of kids. That's why Bionicle has guns in it: because kids these days like guns. But hey, even the 2002 Exo-Toa had an electro missile on it, and I have yet to hear a single complaint about that obvious gun. :-P

I NEVER said you hated 2001, I said you don't understand what we see in it. And even so, no one(except maybe Helden) thinks their opinion on this subject is factual. We are simply stating them.

Um, did I say that you said that I hated 2001? This is not meant to be sarcastic, I seriously want to know, since I can't tell where you got that from. :-/

But, if you are only stating your opinions, fine. I guess it might just go back to the problem I stated in the first two paragraps of this post. I guess from now on I just need to read the posts I "see" as factual as just opinions. :-)

I would have to agree with Grevious on that,I don't know if I would the space theme.I would at least give it a try.

Actually, at least on this issue, I DO agree with most of the stuff directly relating to the actual topic title. Space would be a very bad direction for Bionicle, in my opinion, although since I'm not a young kid, I can't say whether the main target audience would agree. They'd probably love it. :-/

So, I have giant ships flying far over Metru Nui doing battle on one another.

Now THERE'S a good idea! 8-