deskp

Building elf structures

This is an awesome thread; very inspirational.

I was going to ask about legitimate colors until I got near the end... what is the availability of different leaf colors like? Looks like Dark Red and White are the only non-green colors, and they are really rare and expensive on Bricklink (by comparison). I know autumn colors were a suggestion on Cuusoo (which I supported), but things like that - new bricks and different colors - don't seem to get a lot of support.

I've also got a whole k-box of 1x2 brown palisade bricks I was hoping to use for trees.... any thoughts?

Dark red with dark bley does sound interesting ..... If we had the pieces we would go Dark red and tan .... However we build with what we are having in stock .... I somewhat should have mentioned that in my post above. Looks like we are gonna go brown at the root of the tree, further up, dark bley then light grey and somewhat tan up the top, with green and lime leafes ... Thats our thought for now at least. For the elfen structures, our thoughts are tan at the lowest level, then white and and transparent at the top ... But as mentioned its all tablescraps for now .. Just to let you all know ..

Edit: Oh yeah ... Our tree is gonna be at least 5 floors :P

Edited by LEGO Family

A really nice effort so far deskp on designing and Elvish landscape. I am not usually a fan of LDD, prefering the real brick, but these are great and give me and others ample inspiration too.

There's a website called Altbricks and they make leaves in different colors.

Here's a link http://www.altbricks...ge=products_all

WOW... another third party website picking up where LEGO left off (or leaves off, if you like puns). Very reasonably priced, too, excepting that you have to buy in bulk. I'll give it a try.

As for the trunk, I already have so many 1x2 brown palisade bricks, I'm going to have to stick with those for the trunk; don't know if white or gray for stairs and upper structures... but I have a lot more white on hand.

Again, thanks for sharing the designs.

A really nice effort so far deskp on designing and Elvish landscape. I am not usually a fan of LDD, prefering the real brick, but these are great and give me and others ample inspiration too.

I think real bricks are preferrable to to most people. But its very nie for testing out ideas and seeing if they are worthy of buying real bricks for creating them. ( I don't have a huge collection of bricks to suit my every need either so I find LDD to be a good enough outlet most of the time.

I do hope anyone else working on anything elven share it here or elsewhere on this forum!

I made an Elvish structure way back, wasn't particularly referencing from LotR style of elves though lol. Hope it's somewhat inspirational :P

That does look nice. Quite a lot of nice techniques for adding Elvish textures ... Well done. :)

So, since we have played around with some "tablescraps" of how we are gonne build a tree and elven structures. I took some pictures since i had a feeling that the kids would have builded further on what we have done so far ( and i needed to know how the base of the tree looked like for later ), i might as well post what we have done so far.

The base structure of the inside of the tree will be a stronger technic setup, but i feel we have what we are gonna go for.

Elv_wip1.jpg

Elv_wip2.jpg

Elv_wip3.jpg

Elv_wip4.jpg

Elv_wip5.jpg

Elv_wip6.jpg

So we have made a bridge, a gateway ( well, half of it ), a balcon and the base of a tree ..... We have only made one side of the tree trying out different methods and textures to find out what will look the nicest. Let us know what looks off and what looks great. That would be greatly appreciated. Also think of all of this as a WIP, cause thats what it is ..... Nothing will probably look like this when we are done.

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by LEGO Family

Great work! Those bright green pieces that stand alone look a bit out of place. I would only use them in a combination with green and dark green. I like that root that comes out of the ground there.

I agree, just the base of the tree looks so massive, that once you actually start building it, it is going to be very impressive. I've started my Lothlorien:

img_0319.jpg

I'm still waiting on a few pieces from bricklink. Also, does anybody have any ideas for replacing those reddish-brown 1x3 inverted slopes, tan ones are about $5-6 dollars each on bricklink, so I'm not getting those.

I agree, just the base of the tree looks so massive, that once you actually start building it, it is going to be very impressive. I've started my Lothlorien:

I'm still waiting on a few pieces from bricklink. Also, does anybody have any ideas for replacing those reddish-brown 1x3 inverted slopes, tan ones are about $5-6 dollars each on bricklink, so I'm not getting those.

Wow, your build looks awesome so far, the tan trees looks really cool. About the dark red inverted slope, i dont really have any ideas, except if its not gonna be to visible at the end, maybe use some tan plates or something instead. But it does look great so far. :)

Thanks . :) .... We have only builded a few big builds, and the challenge to withhold interest is the biggest issue .... However we hope to finish it .. Just saying .. lol ... Anyhow, i thought i had the time to show some pictures of our progress, but that will have to wait a few days. We have made the base for the build now, and the technic structure for the inside of the tree is done .... And a few more tablescraps for elven structures and buildings... Pictures in a couple of days.

2145.jpg?130613.jpg?1

Do you guys think these parts could have any place in an elf structure? They might help capture a lot of the fine detail in elvish buildings

Edited by ramjarjamjar

Do you guys think these parts could have any place in an elf structure? They might help capture a lot of the fine fine detail in elvish buildings

Woow ... Those parts are awesome. Which set are they from, and do you know the part ID ? .... IMO they definately will fit in !!!

Do you guys think these parts could have any place in an elf structure? They might help capture a lot of the fine fine detail in elvish buildings

YES! And I was sure I had at least one; I've been digging through all my LEGO looking for it! It would be perfect, but I haven't been able to find it (I just know I got one in a bulk LEGO buy, once).

Woow ... Those parts are awesome. Which set are they from, and do you know the part ID ? .... IMO they definately will fit in !!!

2145.jpgAppears in 7 sets.

30613.jpg10 sets (this is the one I'm sure I have somewhere)

33086.gif 2 sets.

YES! And I was sure I had at least one; I've been digging through all my LEGO looking for it! It would be perfect.

Thanks for the links and references... Those parts are beautiful .... We definately have to get some of these ..... Quite expensive though. .

Do you guys think these parts could have any place in an elf structure? They might help capture a lot of the fine detail in elvish buildings

Yes I think they would fit in!!

After watching the DOS sneak preview i wanted to try building some of the stuff from Thranduils realm. Legos "Barrel escape" set isn't very movie accurate, so I tried out making something that looked more like tis movie counterpart.

Wine cellar, prison cells, Thranduils throne experiment.

29frted.png

jsdett.png

Edited by deskp

Lots of great mocs here as said before. I like your prison cells for the dwarves, but I think that there needs to be some sort of barrel holder thing. The barrels look out of place to me to me. Anyways, love the prison cells.

Man, these are some great Mocs. The throne is really spectacular! I'll post a picture of my style later, it's not really strictly LoTR, but I still plan on posting it.

I like your prison cells for the dwarves, but I think that there needs to be some sort of barrel holder thing. The barrels look out of place to me to me. Anyways, love the prison cells.

ALong with some other detaina nd color updates i Added a barrel thing.. I just copied off the actual set with some minor changes, that way those damned kids get their 'play fature' :grin: