Sign in to follow this  
DLuders

"Every-Body Wants To Rule the World..." LDD World Map

On this Legoism topic, there is a Lego Digital Designer "LDD LDraw world map with altitudes." Click on the image below to see it in LARGE detail:

WhiteLegoEarth_thumb%25255B1%25255D.png

The Legoism webmaster wrote, "One small thingy while collecting ideas and time for the next project: I've created a Lego world map LDD LDraw with altitudes, for a friend who's preparing a small geography fair and considers building one. For the case you might find some usage for it too, it's also available for download here.

"It's a quite large map, 250x125 studs (2x1 meters, approx. 80"x40"), and the LDD LDraw file consists of about 130,000 smallest plates stacked where necessary ― it's up to the builder to choose the most convenient reinforcements and substitutions with larger plates, bricks or columns. The altitudes are, of course, drastically out of scale, and there are two colours: white for the land and blue for the seas, as you can see on the rendered picture. It includes the Antarctica and some tiny ocean islands represented by just a single brick, but there should be no problem deleting them in MLCAD or any similar LDD LDraw editing application if necessary."

Legoism-Download%25255B3%25255D.png

This would make a nice background "baseplate" for Lego spaceships to fly over, or maybe for Alienwar9's HUGE Chicago cityscapes! :laugh:

Edited by DLuders

Interesting model!

(but I can only find a Ldraw version :look: )

EDIT: Should be nice to add different colors for different altitude. Simple way would be to just select the different "layers". Not so easy to do in LDD, but maybe in Ldraw?

EDIT2: I strongly suspect this was computer generated since the author says it's made up of 1x1 plates.

and EDIT3 (opened in Ldraw): It's got 130.000 parts, so it won't load into LDD.

Sorry, it is entirely my fault - in a hurry I wrote LDD instead of LDR in the text; it is indeed a LDR file. It's been corrected in the blog now.

You are right, the basic model was computer-generated, and manually edited later - among other reasons, to change the bottom layer colour to blue (in MLCad, in which it opens without problems). Of course, selecting all the plates in a desired layer and recolouring them should be no problem either.

Once again, sorry for the mistake.

Edited by Legoism