Sign in to follow this  
DarthNick

Technic Newbie in need of some help!

Hi guys,

I'm working on a model that I was hoping to incorporate some (manual) functions into.

Basically what I want to do is have a rotating and tilting platform that can be controlled at a distance from the platform itself.

I whipped up a (very) quick sketch on my PS Vita to help you guys see what I mean:

7165214981_197a2da68f_n.jpg

Gear 1 would ideally control the rotation of the platform and Gear 2 would control the tilt. The red area would be where all the technic bits go. The grey would be the platform.

The green area would be a 32x32 baseplate, and I'd like to have the platform right in the middle, and the gears at the front of the baseplate.

I'll admit I'm pretty :blush: to be asking for help, since I'm studying to be a Mechanical engineer. But I figure what better way to learn than to ask the experts.

Thanks - Nick

Welcome Nick! I have some idea of what you are trying to build, but i think there are severalways to go about it. Do you want a "Stewart platform"?

of do you want a simple 2-axis platform with a front-back-left-right tilt? If you want the latter, you can use a worm gear application.

80.jpg

If you want to do that, just set 2X of the above on each side of the baseplate as your model.

Then, make a mount that fits on the + of the axles of the 24T gear.

after that, put 2 triangle-worm gear application on that mount.

24teeth.png

then you mount the top platform on the 2nd axis

I hope you kind of get my idea of putting one wormscrew axlix down on the board, and using the axle outputs to mount the other axis...its hard to explain. But I hope, as a engineer, you will catch my drift.

Good Luck!

It sounds like you want to build something like this:

It would be hard , to combine the tilting with the turning (when you don't want the driver gears to move), because when you turn your platform , there will possibly be a very small increase/decrease of the tilting angle.

solution to your problem:

From your description it looks like you need to use a large turntable (google: lego large turntable , if you don't know what i mean). Put a gear next to it for the turning. Then put an axle through the middle of the turntable, to make a tilting mechanism (a good way to create a tilting mechanism, is posted above).

with this method , you will have the problem listed above, but I can't think of a way, that doesn't have this problem.

Maybe you should say what you want to use it for.

Edited by arjanofski

Thanks for the quick reply guys!

88high: I definitely don't want something as complicated at the stewart platform. Your second suggestion is more along the lines of what I was thinking, but not quite. I do understand your explanation though, and now that I see it, that may be something I might go for.

arjanofski:I think you know exactly what I'm going for, as I had looked at the large LEGO turntable already (actually I stumbled upon this topic, saw the rodeo model, and realized that the turntable would be the best solution). Unfortunately I don't own that piece, and I don't think it's in production anymore (correct me if I'm wrong).

You're also probably right that I should tell you what I want to use it for. I want to build a kind of launch platform for Starfighters, where you can rotate and tilt the Starfighter into an appropriate 'launch' position. Though I don't really want a tilt angle of more than maybe 30 degrees.

I'm thinking my best option is maybe have the rotation controlled at the front and the tilt controlled just under the platform. Though I've been trying to build that, since I realized my other was extremely difficult, and I can't even figure that one out. My problem is coming up with a sturdy (and aesthetically pleasing) way of controlling the tilt of the platform. I've trying to figure out a way to make a tilt mechanism like this, with the axis of rotation at the middle (if that even makes sense):

7166383995_ca3f192b45_n.jpg 7351592888_91faf72690_n.jpg

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks again - Nick

Edited by DarthNick

Hey, Nick. Are you coming to the Swiss Chalet dinner tonight?

That part is still in production.

You can get it from bricklink: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=48452cx1

It will cost you about 2-3$ , without shipment.

You can see in the link in which sets it is used in.

When i've got time , i'll build it for you, so you can copy it or use something from it.

About the picture you posted. You can use a linear actuator, to tilt it. You can also use one of the bigger gears (16 tooth, 24 tooth, 36 tooth or 40 tooth), and put one of the "arms" on a hole that is not the center hole. By turning the centre hole, it will lift.

Is it going to be that scale, or do you want it to be bigger?

Edited by arjanofski

That part is still in production.

You can get it from bricklink: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=48452cx1

It will cost you about 2-3$ , without shipment.

You can see in the link in which sets it is used in.

When i've got time , i'll build it for you, so you can copy it or use something from it.

About the picture you posted. You can use a linear actuator, to tilt it. You can also use one of the bigger gears (16 tooth, 24 tooth, 36 tooth or 40 tooth), and put one of the "arms" on a hole that is not the center hole. By turning the centre hole, it will lift.

Is it going to be that scale, or do you want it to be bigger?

Ahh okay, I was looking at the older ones. I thought I had seen one in the Unimog at work. Thanks a bunch, they'll be much appreciated.

And ok, I see what you mean. But I think a linear actuator will be much too big, as that is the scale I would like it to be.

Hey, Nick. Are you coming to the Swiss Chalet dinner tonight?

I don't know if this is a joke. In any case, keep private talk to PMs, please. Thank you.

I don't know if this is a joke. In any case, keep private talk to PMs, please. Thank you.

Oops. Sorry about that. I was making plans to bring one of those turntable parts if Nick was going to the monthly dinner. :blush:

Here it is, i forgot to turn off the radio.

I didn't looked after the colors.

I tried to make it as small as possible, if you haven't got some of the parts, tell me which ones, and i'll try to come with a solution.

I think you can put it on a baseplate fairly easy, if you need any help with that, i'll be there.

Edited by arjanofski

Here it is, i forgot to turn off the radio.

VIDEO

I didn't looked after the colors.

I tried to make it as small as possible, if you haven't got some of the parts, tell me which ones, and i'll try to come with a solution.

I think you can put it on a baseplate fairly easy, if you need any help with that, i'll be there.

WOW! I just saw this, kinda forgot to check here for the build. That's awesome, and it looks like I have all the parts needed too! As soon as I have a chance I'll try building it. Thanks a million!