Sign in to follow this  
Calabar

Little help with Bricklink's Shop Cart

Ok, here is the problem.

It seems that Bricklink's chart become empty if you close the browser.

I've spent time to fill it but I can't buy immediately.

I'd like to avoid to refill the shopping cart every time (it is not a quick thing...), so... can anyone help me to find a solution?

The shopping cart is saved on a temporary cookie in the client browser. SO if you close the browser or go to another computer youwill not have a shopping cart filled. Also the cookie expires in a couple days so you can't wait too long.

You should place your order and work with the seller to arrange payment - this is the only way to guarantee that you can order what you need. Even if it is in your shopping cart someone else can buy it out from under you.

I thought about a technical solution (something like create a javascript to fill the cart in few seconds...), but your idea seems to be very good.

I'll proceed with the order and then I'll contact the seller!

Thanks

I've spent time to fill it but I can't buy immediately.

Discuss it with the seller.

Basically, what you're doing is attempting to "reserve" the items you want, without paying for them right away, and this is a problem, especially for desirable parts.

I'm not sure how BrickLink actually handles it behind the scenes, but imagine what would happen if there were a single, desirable item for sale, and there were 4 people that wanted it, who ALL added it to their cart at the same time. Who gets it? Does the first person who adds it to their cart prevent others from adding it to THEIR carts? Or does everyone get it added to their cart, but whoever "checks out" first get the part?

Anyway, from a *technical* standpoint, BrickLink clears out your cart as quickly as it can, because it doesn't want your cart information to go stale, and create a "race condition" as above.

HOWEVER-- if you discuss it with the seller, you might be able to check out NOW, and then pay later. There's no rule on BrickLink to say that you NEED to pay within a certain timeframe. That's up to each seller individually. So if you're guaranteeing that you'll pay later, it's possible that the seller might let you "buy" them now, but not actually *pay* for them until you can. But that's up to the seller, if they're feeling like being nice to you.

DaveE

Basically, what you're doing is attempting to "reserve" the items you want, without paying for them right away, and this is a problem, especially for desirable parts.

mmm.... no!

I don't intend to reserve items for myself, I only want to avoid the work to manually fill the chart again.

If the Shopping Cart was linked to the user account and not to the browser session, simply I could leave the items in the chart and complete the order later.

If someone would take some of the item I've already inserted in the chart, simply bricklink should inform me that these items are not available anymore, so I can remove that from the chart. It would be annoying, but obvious, I don't wanted to lock items simply putting that in the chart.

Anyway I followed the suggestion of darkdragon, I hope for a positive answer of the seller!

Why aren't you checking the store terms before placing orders? Most sellers have a hold order open option. Allowing you to keep an order open for a couple days while still adding to it before your ready to checkout. If not the stores I've bought from ask for payment within 3-7 days usually.

Why aren't you checking the store terms before placing orders? Most sellers have a hold order open option. Allowing you to keep an order open for a couple days while still adding to it before your ready to checkout. If not the stores I've bought from ask for payment within 3-7 days usually.

I'm new in buying from bricklink, so I didn't know about that option. That's interesting.

Anyway I don't want to block the process for weeks, Probably I'll conclude the order today, tomorrow at the latest. :classic:

You don't generally need to keep the order open; you can just conclude it and then add new batches to it, as long as you let the seller know that's what you're planning to do, so that they don't pack up your stuff. Besides, as Dstronghold pointed out, plenty of stores require payment within 3-10 days of placing the order which should give you more than enough time.

You don't generally need to keep the order open; you can just conclude it and then add new batches to it, as long as you let the seller know that's what you're planning to do, so that they don't pack up your stuff.

That's exactly what I did. :classic:

I'm still waiting for an answer from the seller.

I've written my request in the comments about the order. Could be the message could be not read in this way? Do you think I should contact the seller again with the standard messaging system?

Often seller wont respond until you tell them the order is complete; this is because a lot of people do it this way!

A lot of times, at checkout, there will be a prompter asking if you want to leave the order open after you've made your purchase or not. I'm not sure if this varies from store to store, and I've only really shopped at the big stores, and they're the ones most likely to have it, but it's definitely worth looking.