jFox

BrickLinking a UCS Millennium Falcon

Just an added option too not spend 80 plus dollars on the radar dish... I scanned a good pic of the original dish, then did an overlay and made a stencil on printed sticker paper. After cutting all the

negative bits out, I placed it on a blank dish and hit it with a layer of dark grey spray paint. Here are the results...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neim343/8505112263/in/photostream

And from a distance...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neim343/8505113035/in/photostream

Here are the results...

That looks really good, it does work :thumbup:.

Have you though about selling the stencil online for 70 dollars :tongue:.

I scanned a good pic of the original dish, then did an overlay and made a stencil on printed sticker paper.

Could you share an hires version of the scanned pic? This will be usefull also for other people.

Thx.

That really does look great. Can you post the brand and type of sticker stock you used to make it?

and also the paint type if you are going to reproduce exactly as in this example?

I'll upload the stencil a little later today, anyone can use it and print it out. You'll have to cut it yourself, but all the layout is done on it. As for the sticker paper itself, I just used plain 8.5 x 11 sticker paper

from an office supple store.

Here's the stencil, I'll post higher res pics later tonight when I can actually use a better camera...

8506506123_ec197215c9.jpg

Edited by neim343

I was able to pull most of the pieces from my own collection thankfully. In total a little under $400 was all it took...

You did it for only 400 bucks?!?

Wow, I'm impressed. I was thinking it would cost something from $1000 to $1500 in total.

First post so, Hello!

I'm about half way through the build of my bricklinked MF. Just wanted to say thanks to those in this thread who made me aware it was even possible.

The build has been great so far, have been taking it nice and slow and I've probably got 10 - 15 hours logged on it so far. Getting all the bricks together was a mammoth task but really fun at the same time. A few tips for others who are looking to do this, make a spreadsheet! I imported all the data into a spreadsheet and religiously updated with number of pieces I had and number of pieces I still needed of each part. Even so I have still managed to end a few bricks short. And unless you are hell bent on getting an exact replica of the original make sure you check out different coloured parts, they are often a lot easier to get hold off and a lot cheaper. And my final tip is not to believe that bricklink will give you the best deal. I found cheaper prices on ebay and the Lego buy a brick and replacement part service.

Good luck to everyone who takes this on, it's well worth it.

Hi Neim343, what about the hires image? Pleeeease....

;-)

Here's the stencil, I'll post higher res pics later tonight when I can actually use a better camera...

8506506123_ec197215c9.jpg

FYI I just recently bricklinked another one (my fifth) and it cost me around 1100 euro (with all original Lightbley levers, dish, boathmast riggings, stickers, minifigs..and ofcourse all the right parts).

But it is getting very difficult finding parts cause there are more and more parts getting discontinued by Lego :-(

But it is getting very difficult finding parts cause there are more and more parts getting discontinued by Lego :-(

I think this was the motivation I needed to finally undertake this epic project. You're right. The longer you wait, the harder it is likely to be...

I think this was the motivation I needed to finally undertake this epic project. You're right. The longer you wait, the harder it is likely to be...

:classic: Good luck and have fun...it's amazing and fun to do (how ridiculous that sounds to none AFOL's :-))

Hi Kibosh,

I want to start my MF project, new to the forum and BL.

How did you utilize the wanted list feature, choose the stores, minimize the shipping cost on each order.

Currently, I add few parts on my wanted list, show all, sorted by lowest prices, can't match to same store.

Sorry for my bad english

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi all,

First of all, let me quickly introduce myself... as it is my first post. I am a 32 years old software engineer, living in Germany, that felt back to the LEGO world last summer (Thanks to 10226...). Back in 2007 I was really impressed by the 10179 Millennium Falcon, but I never actually bought it.

Nowadays, I really regret that, especially when you see the price you have to pay for mint new sets (and even used one) on eBay of BrickLink. So I decided to follow some of you on this forum and collecting all the bricks for building an "alternate-not-so-official" Millenium Falcon to correct this "mistake". Instead of posting the progress of this adventure here, I started a blog about it: http://bricklinking10179.wordpress.com

Feel free to take a quick look at it, and of course, I will be available anytime to answer some of your questions in case you are also tempted by doing the same :classic:

Hi MinusZwei,

I went Lego web site ordering parts,

choose "a pieces broke while building"

reason type "I lost it"

how do I know the cost for each parts?

Edited by dwong

Hi again neim343,

did you uploaded the hires image of radar? If not, could you send me by email if I provide to you my private address? Thx.

I just finished my Falcon. It is a custom as I replaced some parts in the interior and used a bit of old gray bricks to give the ship a used look. I loved the build and sourcing the parts. If you are interested check out my build video on my Youtube channel modsbytweek. If anyone is thinking of building this set I suggest you pick up the more costly parts now before the price increases to much more.

Finally finished!

8508102877_83dc3663ae.jpg

Awesome idea! I would add a frame in Lego around it to make it even more artistic

Edited by hysot

The problem is not finding the right colour (a typical basecoat-colour gray is fine) but the fact that the paint will not hold, it will peel off after a few weeks - it will even crackle if you don't touch the parts.

There s a special primer available for plastic, to make the paint stick better to the material- but I haven't tested that yet.